Texas Hunting Forum

Sleds

Posted By: Captain Chunk

Sleds - 11/30/15 06:06 PM

Looking into getting a sled, either a Beavertail or Jet Sled. Did a search on here and nothing popped up. I've done my research and think I have the one picked, but wanted some more opinions. What sleds do you guys use? Is one brand better than the other? Any issues? Thanks for your input.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 06:09 PM

I dont own a sled, sorry I cant help more
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 06:14 PM

I have a jet sled and it's nice if you're wading through a good distance of water to get to your spot, works well in Ice and wet grass also. Absolutely sucks in sticky mud
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 06:22 PM

I've had one for nearly 10 years. Got it from cabelas. Have used it maybe 20 times. Works good when used like Eric said otherwise pretty much useless
Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 06:52 PM

I have two beavertails and love them. I think I got a large at Cabelas for $90. I mostly use them like above but also hunt a deep pond and tie it to my kayak while picking up decoys.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 06:54 PM

I have a jet sled and it works fine. I would get whatever is cheapest
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 07:00 PM

I have both a beavertail and a cabelas special. I use them all the time. Don't know how I got along without them
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 07:14 PM

Got a jet, use it all the time getting stuff to/from the boat. I float it next to me when I'm in water. Good for pulling gear behind a 4 wheeler, too.

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 07:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at the Jet Sled 1. Seems big enough for my needs and is a slightly cheaper than the Beavertail that is about the same size.
Posted By: NorthtexasDUman

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 08:09 PM

Jet sleds work great. I tow mine behind my kayak and can fit 3 dozen decoys, gun, blind bag, and mojos

Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 08:27 PM

Look into Otter sleds. They're awesome. Way sturdier than jet or beaver tails. Little heavier and speedier too, but they hold up way better
Posted By: ultralite09

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 09:57 PM

I have the large beavertail, bought it used for $30. Best purchase for my hunting needs. I hunt mostly flooded fields that range from 6 inches to 4 ft deep. I have had it loaded down with 4 dozen decoys, 4 shotguns, 3 blind bags, a coleman stove and lantern and a few groceries for breakfast tacos. We had about 150 yards knee deep water walk from the truck to the blind and it floated perfectly fine. sure beat throwing all the gear on our back and making that trek.
Posted By: teal.slayer14

Re: Sleds - 11/30/15 10:16 PM

I got the camo large jet sled beginning of the season and use it all the time now. It does suck in the mud, but in the water it is awesome. Make sure you have a long enough rope on the 4 wheeler or all your gear will be a muddy mess when you get to the blind. Found that one out the hard way.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 04:12 AM

We made some from cement mixing tubs. Think I've used it once while hunting and many times doing things on the property like hauling wood, tools, etc.

Works pretty good for slinging short people too...

Posted By: Blue drake

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 02:01 PM

I found a old but well cared for Sears cargo carrier. Unbolted the top and camoed it. Works great and I have 10 bucks in it. Saying that I wouldn't strap it behind a kayak but pulling on the ground can't be beat.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 02:08 PM

Walking and pulling, I'd keep it simple and light. I pull a 10' Jon boat behind an Argo for equipment and a 12 footer behind another Argo for people. Dogs ride shotgun!

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 02:38 PM

so it looks like 13 people for the sled and 1 person for (2) argos, (1) 10' jon and (1) 12' jon boat

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
so it looks like 13 people for the sled and 1 person for (2) argos, (1) 10' jon and (1) 12' jon boat

Way off! Gotta have two people in each Argo to offset the weight. These things are prone to try and drive in a circle if you don't. That puts two people in a boat. I don't hunt with more than 5 other people on my place.

I was just saying that if you are pulling behind something other than yourself, just use an old jon boat that he may have and save the money. I can make a couple mile trip in the marsh with over a 100 decoys, 5 other guys, and two dogs in around 30 minutes.

I've seen people with sleds and are limited to what they can take. I would rather have too much and take some away during the morning than not have enough and waste a morning.

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fooshman
We made some from cement mixing tubs. Think I've used it once while hunting and many times doing things on the property like hauling wood, tools, etc.

Works pretty good for slinging short people too...

[Linked Image]

up

Mine aren't short anymore, but it still worked great during the ice storm earlier this year!

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek

Way off! Gotta have two people in each Argo to offset the weight. These things are prone to try and drive in a circle if you don't. That puts two people in a boat. I don't hunt with more than 5 other people on my place.

I was just saying that if you are pulling behind something other than yourself, just use an old jon boat that he may have and save the money. I can make a couple mile trip in the marsh with over a 100 decoys, 5 other guys, and two dogs in around 30 minutes.

I've seen people with sleds and are limited to what they can take. I would rather have too much and take some away during the morning than not have enough and waste a morning.

you lost me

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 04:46 PM

Ahhh... Just realized you were taking a count of who said what. I'm used to you jacking with me all the time and defense mode came up. My fault...

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 04:51 PM

I originally typed out "DRINK" but decided to take a count for the OP instead, I can have my moments up
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 04:56 PM

I prefer 3 argos and 6 john boats with 4 sleds loaded down with 12 dozen decoys.

However I just use a medium beaver tail and a concrete tub to haul motion decoys and blind bags. My decoys float so I've never needed to load them in a sled.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
I prefer 3 argos and 6 john boats with 4 sleds loaded down with 12 dozen decoys.

However I just use a medium beaver tail and a concrete tub to haul motion decoys and blind bags. My decoys float so I've never needed to load them in a sled.

Always be prepared.

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 05:42 PM

that kash hayraker is always prepared up

#prepared

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 06:14 PM

I originally typed out "DRINK" but decided to take a count for the OP instead, I can have my moments up

Hey thanks!

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
My decoys float so I've never needed to load them in a sled.

Yours too?

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 06:40 PM

How do yall get your decoys to float?

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 06:43 PM

just glad I could help, Captain

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Stop taking your brother in law hunting...

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Stop taking your brother in law hunting...

Oh, I could tell some stories.
Posted By: G K Chambers

Re: Sleds - 12/01/15 11:49 PM

Dogs don't ride shotgun. Dogs work.

Re: Sleds - 12/02/15 12:31 AM

GK, I'm sure he runs labs so they have to be babied a little bit

Re: Sleds - 12/02/15 02:44 PM

They are babied a bit... Like I said though, I don't need them to pull the sled. They just need to shut up, hold, retrieve, and pose for the hero shot!

Posted By: zbot11

Re: Sleds - 12/02/15 04:15 PM

GK- does that swamp beast pull the sled on dry land/mud too or just over water? I've long considered a sled, but only if my dog does all the work.

Re: Sleds - 12/02/15 09:56 PM

I have a pic somewhere of one of my dogs pulling my other dog in a sled.
Posted By: G K Chambers

Re: Sleds - 12/02/15 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ZachW
GK- does that swamp beast pull the sled on dry land/mud too or just over water? I've long considered a sled, but only if my dog does all the work.

The only problems for the dog are the ones described above: thick grass and tacky mud.

He will go into "mule" mode and quit.

I figure the 95 lb dog easily can haul 75 lbs of gear under normal conditions.
Posted By: Thieve'n_Hawk

Re: Sleds - 12/03/15 10:35 AM

I got a pelican sled on the cheap, works great. it will float 150lbs of gear behind the 'yak.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Sleds - 12/03/15 04:29 PM

My little british lab would lay over and die. Shes 34lbs of retreiving machine. Not sure she would take a step if I roped a sled to her
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum