Texas Hunting Forum

boot foot or stocking foot?

Posted By: garrett

boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 08:27 PM

I need new waders and I have always had boot foot, but the stocking foots look so comfy and easy to move in. looking for opinions...

all input welcomed, even from Ramballzzz
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 08:30 PM

I wear stocking foot when trout fishing. Couldn't imagine filling the outer boot up with mud. They work really well if you are standing on rocky surfaces or walking a ways.

Yep, I'm sure I would lose the outer boot on the first hunt in the mud.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 08:31 PM

Boot. Chances are you would leave a boot behind. Would you go with one boot or take them both off?
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 08:47 PM

In the muck I walk in there is no way I could use stocking foot.
Posted By: Judd

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 09:10 PM

I've seen Garrett...my guess is he ain't walking anywhere that's to far or to muddy bolt grin
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
I've seen Garrett...my guess is he ain't walking anywhere that's to far or to muddy bolt grin

eek2 and from JUDD!!!!! PEW PEW!

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

this is fairly accurate
Posted By: Cochise

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 09:35 PM

I've got both but prefer the stocking foot. Yet to lose a boot in the mud and I've hunted some pretty nasty places.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 10:08 PM

If your waders have a hole around the knee, just tape a trash bag around your leg. Problem solved.

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
If your waders have a hole around the knee, just tape a trash bag around your leg. Problem solved.

see, you my friend are management material...problem solved, looks like I'll be saving $200 this year up
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/17/15 10:30 PM

One time in high school I tore my boot foot waders and had to borrow some stocking foot ones from a buddy. The good part was that they fit my foot nicely and once I duct taped my old Nike shox to the outside of them I felt like Michael Johnson in '96 going through that silt bed they call Lavon to smack some greenwings and ringers. The bad part was that they were larges, so we had to use a box cutter to get em off.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/18/15 12:06 AM

Boot foot, thank me later.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/18/15 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: SpoonPlatoon
In the muck I walk in there is no way I could use stocking foot.

I wear boot foot as well, but stocking foot with well-fitting wafer boots actually perform much better in thick muck. Boot foot waders can tend to get sucked right off your foot in really thick stuff, and this isn't a problem with stocking foot waders.

I would say stocking foot with good wader boots if you do a lot of walking to get to your spots. Boot foot otherwise.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/18/15 12:54 AM

Ive had Both. Stocking for fly fishing and boot for duck hunting. I prefer the boot waders for ease of use but I'll be honest the stocking foot boots work so much better in the mud. They don't sink up nearly as bad. The boot foot boots are so rounded, not nearly as supportive in soft mud, and sink much worse. I find myself pulling my foot out of the boot inside the waders when they get stuck. I've never had a problem using the stocking foots coming off. But they do get mud and grit inside the boot.

A few years ago I found a pair of breathable boot foot waders at cabelas that had a lace up boot just like the stocking foot boots. The problem is that they are only waist high. They are still my fav waders but limit me if I need to get in deeper water or sit in shallow water.If they made a chest wader that was boot foot but had a lace up built in boot I'd say that would be my choice.

It's kind of a trade off in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth though!
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/18/15 01:04 AM

Academy has theirs on sale right now. I just got the GW breathables they seem good so far, but don't have any insulation in the boots. I'll have to see how that pans out when it gets cold.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/18/15 03:18 PM

Boot! Taking stocking foot waders off sucks big time.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/18/15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
Boot! Taking stocking foot waders off sucks big time.

Yes they do. Especially covered in mud!
Posted By: Mako1970

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/19/15 07:13 PM

I goose hunt mostly and I love stocking foot waders with neoprene wading shoes. I have chest waders and hip boots made from old chest waders (these are great). I haven't had any issues with losing a shoe and in fields that have the sticky mud, just kick off the shoes and go with just the stocking foot. The mud doesn't stick to the neoprend and you don't mess around with the giant feet like those wearing boots. Most of the time, even when it was dry, I wore the homemade hip boots because I never knew when I was going to have to cross a ditch to retrieve a bird.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/19/15 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey
Ive had Both. Stocking for fly fishing and boot for duck hunting. I prefer the boot waders for ease of use but I'll be honest the stocking foot boots work so much better in the mud. They don't sink up nearly as bad. The boot foot boots are so rounded, not nearly as supportive in soft mud, and sink much worse. I find myself pulling my foot out of the boot inside the waders when they get stuck. I've never had a problem using the stocking foots coming off. But they do get mud and grit inside the boot.

A few years ago I found a pair of breathable boot foot waders at cabelas that had a lace up boot just like the stocking foot boots. The problem is that they are only waist high. They are still my fav waders but limit me if I need to get in deeper water or sit in shallow water.If they made a chest wader that was boot foot but had a lace up built in boot I'd say that would be my choice.

It's kind of a trade off in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth though!

Check out the Orvis waders. Breathable with an insulated lace up boot. They're awesome, but cost a little cash.
Posted By: Mapman

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/20/15 03:30 AM

Orvis has a sale on those camouflaged, breathable, lace-up boot waders.
Posted By: kindall

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/21/15 02:08 PM

My vote is for the stocking foot, with a nice lace up pair of wader shoes.
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/24/15 06:15 PM

Boot for duck hunting, no question. I'd also be careful with breathable waders if you are hunting public timber areas or harvested grain fields with stalks still sticking up. We walk through some nasty stuff and the breathable waders feel like they could tear pretty easily.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: boot foot or stocking foot? - 11/24/15 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Boot. Chances are you would leave a boot behind. Would you go with one boot or take them both off?

This. Ain't no body and I do mean no body on this forum wants to see you in stockings.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum