Texas Hunting Forum

Do I need to bring my Rifle?

Posted By: farmall1246

Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 05:46 PM

So we hunted this weekend at the cost and we hit two birds flying .when they fell in the water they were still alive. I took another shot to finish them off. But them little shits were still swimming . I shot again and the same thing . After that we just started to cover each other on the birds . But I was shocked watching the blast pattern go right at them . So the shell I use are number 3 with number 2 shot black clouds . Maybe some can shed some light on this for me.

And I know there is some one will ask why to nock them out cold . This year we had deep water .

Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 05:52 PM

Smaller pellets make better swat loads. I keep a few #6's in reach for that reason.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 06:08 PM

It's crazy how much damage a duck can take and still survive.
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 06:13 PM

I had the same thing happen on me this past week with a mallard. One shot to bring him down, thought he was out for the count. Started flapping around on the water so I shot twice more with him being right in the center of my pattern. As I got closer he swam off so fast I couldn't get to him which really aggravated me! That dude MUST have been wearing a kevlar vest!!

I'm using #4, but I'll try some #6 for my swat loads!
Posted By: pervis

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 07:58 PM

I shoot hevi metals 3inch #3 usually dead knock outs each time. I did wound one this past week. I'm very impressed by the hevi metals loads
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 08:04 PM

Is it legal to finish a duck off with a rifle? Just curious.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

No.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/15/15 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

It is if you don't get caught
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Do I need to bring my Rifle? - 11/16/15 12:43 AM

150 birds killed this year. Not one shot at a cripple. Hevi Metal 3" #4.... Those numbers are for the group.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum