Texas Hunting Forum

I need to pick a fight

Posted By: wal1809

I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 03:49 PM

I am at 9918 posts. I need to pick a fight to run it up over 10,000. loser8

Black Cloud is an over marketed cash cow.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 03:51 PM

I wish they would include the fs wad as an option in blue box with the regular steel pellets. Then they could market that they've functionally done away with choke tubes

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
I wish they would include the fs wad as an option in blue box with the regular steel pellets. Then they could market that they've functionally done away with choke tubes

It has been proven a pet rock can be marketed. Look at the landslide product called a Chia pet. Chia pet is a marketer's wet dream.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

Agreed... I do shoot higher dollar shells, but I have figured that it is cheaper than wasting shells at cripples. I found that black cloud kills them good, but they can fly for 200 yards before they fall dead! The best shells out there, in my opinion, are Blind Side and Hevi Metal. I am more for Hevi Metal because I can shoot a smaller load with more pellets.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:00 PM

It has been proven a pet rock can be marketed. Look at the landslide product called a Chia pet. Chia pet is a marketer's wet dream.

What's your stance on yetis?

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:01 PM

While we're at it Ford sucks, we need to get Wal his posts
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:03 PM

You may be joking, but i completely agree with the black cloud being all marketing statement.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:08 PM

I can't get on the "expensive stuff kills better" band wagon. Y'all would laugh at my gun and shells. Both cheap and I hang right there, numbers wise, with all my buddies that have 3 pick up payments tied up in their gun.....

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek

Agreed... I do shoot higher dollar shells, but I have figured that it is cheaper than wasting shells at cripples. I found that black cloud kills them good, but they can fly for 200 yards before they fall dead! The best shells out there, in my opinion, are Blind Side and Hevi Metal. I am more for Hevi Metal because I can shoot a smaller load with more pellets.

Yep, we're going to fight.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

I was on an all out campaign against my wife to not buy a yetti. I have my old igloos and they work fine for me. Well the new bay boat has two of them on there. I reckion compromise has been accomplished. I can't bash the purchase of yettis any longer. That is kind of hard to do when you have two of them.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:13 PM

How do you feel about shooting spikes in a high fence?

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
You may be joking, but i completely agree with the black cloud being all marketing statement.

We are not going to fight as we see eyeball to eyeball on this issue. Sorry creek2creek I like your posts except for your last one. The "It kills them better and saves me money". I just filed that one away in the hogwash section. Speed and weight of the pellet, what has blackcloud done to better the speed and weight of the pellet? What is different in these two, Remington 1500 FPS #4 pellet Vs. Black Cloud 1500 FPS #4, or whatever combo you shoot?

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:15 PM

I was on an all out campaign against my wife to not buy a yetti. I have my old igloos and they work fine for me. Well the new bay boat has two of them on there. I reckion compromise has been accomplished. I can't bash the purchase of yettis any longer. That is kind of hard to do when you have two of them.

I have two igloos I'll trade straigt up.. you can go back to bashing yetis!

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
How do you feel about shooting spikes in a high fence?

I like Bellville City Meat Market's garlic sausage. Oh and some of the jalapeno cheese links too. I found it really helps when after cooking you let the sausage rest for about 10 minutes prior to eating. So I would say it is a bad day for the spikes.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:17 PM

I agree that Fords suck, but not as bad as their owners.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:18 PM

I was on an all out campaign against my wife to not buy a yetti. I have my old igloos and they work fine for me. Well the new bay boat has two of them on there. I reckion compromise has been accomplished. I can't bash the purchase of yettis any longer. That is kind of hard to do when you have two of them. [/quote]

I have two igloos I'll trade straigt up.. you can go back to bashing yetis! [/quote]

Oh no. NOw that I have them I won't give them up. You see I consider that compromise a win. Technically I didn't pay $500 per cooler. So therefore I get to get away with it.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:18 PM

You can't kill ducks from a pontoon, that's a proven fact.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill

Well you are correct so far. One of them was flaring birds and mine never left the ramp. you can't kill them at the ramp.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:20 PM

I have two igloos I'll trade straigt up.. you can go back to bashing yetis! [/quote]

Oh no. NOw that I have them I won't give them up. You see I consider that compromise a win. Technically I didn't pay $500 per cooler. So therefore I get to get away with it.
[/quote]
Worth a shot... confused2

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
I agree that Fords suck, but not as bad as their owners.

I should easily get to 10,000 with that statement duel

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:22 PM

I have two igloos I'll trade straigt up.. you can go back to bashing yetis!

[/quote]
Worth a shot... confused2 [/quote]

I have to say they keep ice for a good long while. I would imagine with the old dry ice trick you could freeze a human long enough for medical science to bring them back from the dead.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill

Well you are correct so far. One of them was flaring birds and mine never left the ramp. you can't kill them at the ramp.

Debatable

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

We are not going to fight as we see eyeball to eyeball on this issue. Sorry creek2creek I like your posts except for your last one. The "It kills them better and saves me money". I just filed that one away in the hogwash section. Speed and weight of the pellet, what has blackcloud done to better the speed and weight of the pellet? What is different in these two, Remington 1500 FPS #4 pellet Vs. Black Cloud 1500 FPS #4, or whatever combo you shoot?

I agree with you. Maybe I said it wrong. They do die, but I feel that they are bleeding out from the cutting edge, therefore, don't die right away. You are spot on with Speed and Weight of Pellet. That is why I shoot Hevi Metal the majority of time. I have noticed a lot of damaging blows from the Blind Side Sqaure pellet. Like a straight up slap when it hits them.

To answer your question, the cutting edge on the pellet is what they are marketing the most and I feel it is not efficient as the Hevi Shot within Hevi Metal or the stacked square pellet within the Blind Side.
Posted By: RayB

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:23 PM

I think using Black Cloud your ducks are deader than they are with cheap shells. confused2

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I think using Black Cloud your ducks are deader than they are with cheap shells. confused2

You see creek2creek, this guy understands the program. It is people like him that will get me to the 10,000. If you agree with me then I will never get there. Catch up with the program man!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:32 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:32 PM

I can kill just as many ducks with a box of 2 3/4 #4 xperts as I could with a 30$ box of black cloud or blindsides.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:33 PM

That trigger finger has nothing to do with it at all peep

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
I can kill just as many ducks with a box of 2 3/4 #4 xperts as I could with a 30$ box of black cloud or blindsides.

Get them in the decoys, kill them dead as a stone.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:36 PM

You see creek2creek, this guy understands the program. It is people like him that will get me to the 10,000. If you agree with me then I will never get there. Catch up with the program man!

Gotcha! Notice I only have about 30 something posts.

Well to celebrate your 10,000, I'll send you a Black Cloud sticker for your back Windshield! Then you can call yourself a staffer.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:37 PM

I skyblast with cheapos...

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:37 PM

Your pace is quite slow you got over 60 post to go

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:38 PM

waiting

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:40 PM

Well to celebrate your 10,000, I'll send you a Black Cloud sticker for your back Windshield! Then you can call yourself a staffer.

Put it next to your new yeti sticker
Posted By: RayB

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:49 PM

But they aren't as dead as mine and while I'm at it air boats should be banned peep

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:52 PM

up

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
waiting

sorry, duty calls! Had to write a report real quick.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:53 PM

Forget yeti and blackcloud. nuts

Do you believe our ducks are being short stopped? bang

And if this isn't one you're willing to touch, how about discussing who does more for Texas DU or Delta? bolt

And i double dog dare you to say something bad about DU. Marcstar will be on you like white on rice, and you'll get a real fight.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:54 PM

But they aren't as dead as mine and while I'm at it air boats should be banned peep

Oh yeah that should put us up there.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 04:54 PM

I'm going on that coast trip. Then I'm gonna go back and shoot your spots the rest of the season.

And I'm gonna take your Shiner outta that crappy overpriced Yeti when you're not looking.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 05:01 PM

I think we need a debate that hasn't been hashed out dozens of times on the waterfowl forum. Oh, I got one. Currently in this debate on a FB page smile

Vaccines are bad. Causes autism and kills babies. Don't fill your bodies with formaldehyde, aluminum & Mercury!!

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
I think we need a debate that hasn't been hashed out dozens of times on the waterfowl forum. Oh, I got one. Currently in this debate on a FB page smile

Vaccines are bad. Causes autism and kills babies. Don't fill your bodies with formaldehyde, aluminum & Mercury!!

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fishuhalik

I think this sums it up...
Posted By: BallerCaller

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 05:10 PM

I like using #6 lead shot during early teal season so I don't have to worry about switching shells between dove and teal when I am hunting on a pond.

Oh and a fishing pole with a large topwater bait on it is way better for retrieving dead dove and ducks than a well trained retriever.

....there that should get you 100,000.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 05:44 PM

Still waiting

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 05:45 PM

Ford, yetis, and black cloud. The only way to hunt.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 05:49 PM

No, yes, no

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Originally Posted by Fishuhalik

I think this sums it up...

You guys, with your "facts" and "research". I saw a post on FB about it, so it has to be true

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:26 PM

Well I guess this is an indication of how many ducks are in Texas right now. Opening week and instead of pictures of straps its discussing crappy trucks, expensive coolers, and unnecessary shells.

Is anyone else's dog as bored as mine?

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
I'm going on that coast trip. Then I'm gonna go back and shoot your spots the rest of the season.

And I'm gonna take your Shiner outta that crappy overpriced Yeti when you're not looking.

Whoa there big fella, put the Shiner down.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:29 PM

mine is still worn out from this 9 minute shoot last weekend

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
Still waiting

Hey, I take lunch at 11 AM. Now that I am refreshed, lets get back to haggling.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:39 PM

Still waiting

11... You a banker?

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:41 PM

You miss the crowd I do the same

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:43 PM

Heck, I'd love to be a banker. Get off for holidays like Columbus Day, President's Day, and all the other ones that schools don't even get off for.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:48 PM

Still waiting

11... You a banker?

Only when my wife is concerned roflmao

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 06:49 PM

Ditto
Posted By: Cast

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:02 PM

Yeah, me too.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:19 PM

I wouldn't know if black cloud works better than cheap shells, because everyone knows that it's over rated to pattern your gun.

Closest I've came to patterning my shotgun is shooting at vicious cotton mouths that were
Attacking me. Aren't they mean Wal?

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TXPride
I wouldn't know if black cloud works better than cheap shells, because everyone knows that it's over rated to pattern your gun.

Closest I've came to patterning my shotgun is shooting at vicious cotton mouths that were
Attacking me. Aren't they mean Wal?

LOL Now your getting downright bloody roflmao
Posted By: Judd

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:38 PM

You said you wanted a fight...now you have a few grin
Posted By: Judd

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:39 PM

OH and the best part of a Yeti....they build them so people like you and I can stand on them rofl
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:46 PM

Let's get this party started...

Wano custom calls suck! Craftsmanship is like something straight out of China and they sound like crap!

Oh and they are ugly too!

grin

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:50 PM

Bradybuck came out swinging
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:53 PM

Here you go Wayne. wink

Smaller load with more pellets don't matter. It is not the number of pellets in your shell, but the number of pellets in a uniform downrange pattern that counts. Only a certain number of pellets are required to kill a bird within a given lethal range. More pellets above that minimum count will not kill a bird any deader. Dead is dead.
Large ducks over decoys 85-90 pellets with IC at 25-30 yards or with Mod at 35-45 yards can put enough pellets into your bird for a lethal kill with anything from Steel #6-#2. If your pattern is uniform, extra pellets in theory do not give you any advantage.
http://gf.nd.gov/gnf/hunting/docs/tom-roster-nontoxic-shot-lethality-table.pdf

Disclaimer. This data is old and has other variables not included. For example the Hevi shot in the table is 12g/cc. Hevi Duck today is less than 10g/cc as is the small amount of Hevi shot slag loaded on top of the steel in your Hevi Metal shell. And testing was done with a wide range of 1225 tp 1700 fps shells without that data included.

Hevi Metal may do well for some due to luck with patterning or having two shot strings, but I doubt it is from having more pellets. Nor does it hit harder than a same size steel load. You can buy plain ol steel shot shells loaded with more pellets for less money than heavy metal if more pellets is what your after.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Let's get this party started...

Wano custom calls suck! Craftsmanship is like something straight out of China and they sound like crap!

Oh and they are ugly too!

grin

Did your daddy tie a sausage around your neck just to get the dog to play with you?
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 09:02 PM

I like my "shells" to only have 1 pellet in them in .270 dia. I take eye shots anyway. wal still doesn't have enough posts.
Posted By: BallerCaller

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 09:12 PM

I heard yeti is coming out with an offroading go cart version....

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Here you go Wayne. wink

Well then... With every shotgun I have owned, the pattern is denser with smaller pellets both with factory choke tubes and the aftermarket that I use. My justification is to get a denser pattern with more pellets that weight more than steel. Think you read into the pellet count comment too much.

Try it some time. Shoot some #2's through your IM or Full Duck Choke. Pattern it and then do the same with some 7's in dove load with the same choke. It will be substantially tighter.

Smaller load with more pellets don't matter. It is not the number of pellets in your shell, but the number of pellets in a uniform downrange pattern that counts. Only a certain number of pellets are required to kill a bird within a given lethal range. More pellets above that minimum count will not kill a bird any deader. Dead is dead.
Large ducks over decoys 85-90 pellets with IC at 25-30 yards or with Mod at 35-45 yards can put enough pellets into your bird for a lethal kill with anything from Steel #6-#2. If your pattern is uniform, extra pellets in theory do not give you any advantage.
http://gf.nd.gov/gnf/hunting/docs/tom-roster-nontoxic-shot-lethality-table.pdf

Disclaimer. This data is old and has other variables not included. For example the Hevi shot in the table is 12g/cc. Hevi Duck today is less than 10g/cc as is the small amount of Hevi shot slag loaded on top of the steel in your Hevi Metal shell. And testing was done with a wide range of 1225 tp 1700 fps shells without that data included.

Hevi Metal may do well for some due to luck with patterning or having two shot strings, but I doubt it is from having more pellets. Nor does it hit harder than a same size steel load. You can buy plain ol steel shot shells loaded with more pellets for less money than heavy metal if more pellets is what your after.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 09:33 PM

Why don't you name all the lakes near Dallas that your Yeti cooler may or may not have been to?

popcorn

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 09:40 PM

5 pages of trolling posts & no one has mentioned whether or not it's acceptable to hunt someone else's blind on public. After the south zone opener, I'm gonna hunt every blind I see just outta spite, even if it's more advantageous to hunt the shoreline. Some people's children...
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 09:45 PM

I might go cheap when it comes to shotgun shells, but I spare no expense when it comes to scouting, I really run up my data bill with that fancy D.U. migration map and google maps. No need to waste any gas.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 09:49 PM

5 pages of trolling posts & no one has mentioned whether or not it's acceptable to hunt someone else's blind on public.

Uh huh...
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 10:20 PM

Well then... With every shotgun I have owned, the pattern is denser with smaller pellets both with factory choke tubes and the aftermarket that I use. My justification is to get a denser pattern with more pellets that weight more than steel. Think you read into the pellet count comment too much.

Try it some time. Shoot some #2's through your IM or Full Duck Choke. Pattern it and then do the same with some 7's in dove load with the same choke. It will be substantially tighter.

But "with more pellets that weight more than steel" will not get you there with a Hevi Metal load. #2 Heavy Metal is #2 steel and a small amount of Hevi shot two sizes smaller than the steel shot listed on the box making it basically the same as a comparable Heavy #2 steel load containing the same amount of pellets. The Hevi shot portion in the shell is advertised as a ballistic equivalent to the steel shot in the load meaning it is to have the same velocity and impact as the stated steel shot in the load. Being a smaller shot than the steel, loaded in a separate column above the steel, and not being uniform compared to the round steel shot, it is impossible to be a ballistic equivalent other than by weight per pellet. Yes, it does allow more pellets to be placed within the shell, but most commercial shells are not loaded to the max potential. If a 1 1/4 oz #2 Hevi Metal shell (#2 steel and #4 9.2 to 9.8 g/cc Hevi shot blend) has an extra 10 to 40 pellets, you can get the same or more number of extra pellets per shell simply by shooting a 1 3/8 #2 Steel shot shell. Still both shells already have more than enough pellets in them at the lethal range of #2 steel shot or #4 hevi shot provided the choke combination presents a good pattern and shot string within the size shot's effective range.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 10:22 PM

Wayne, jump in here. I know you like to talk choke sizes, types, shot and wad differences, fast vs heavy loads, etc.
peep

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 10:56 PM

Wayne, jump in here. I know you like to talk choke sizes, types, shot and wad differences, fast vs heavy loads, etc.
peep

Oh absolutely!! i just have to get this report done in 8 minutes. In short, I like smaller pellets. #2 and #4 on decoying geese. #4s and #6 on ducks.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 11:02 PM

5 pages of trolling posts & no one has mentioned whether or not it's acceptable to hunt someone else's blind on public. After the south zone opener, I'm gonna hunt every blind I see just outta spite, even if it's more advantageous to hunt the shoreline. Some people's children...

That was going to be the final stretch to get me over the 10,000. But in the meantime it is my blind you can't hunt it.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/12/15 11:02 PM

I got my report in with 30 seconds to spare. 10 hours and it came down to 30 seconds.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/13/15 12:01 AM

But "with more pellets that weight more than steel" will not get you there with a Hevi Metal load. #2 Heavy Metal is #2 steel and a small amount of Hevi shot two sizes smaller than the steel shot listed on the box making it basically the same as a comparable Heavy #2 steel load containing the same amount of pellets. The Hevi shot portion in the shell is advertised as a ballistic equivalent to the steel shot in the load meaning it is to have the same velocity and impact as the stated steel shot in the load. Being a smaller shot than the steel, loaded in a separate column above the steel, and not being uniform compared to the round steel shot, it is impossible to be a ballistic equivalent other than by weight per pellet. Yes, it does allow more pellets to be placed within the shell, but most commercial shells are not loaded to the max potential. If a 1 1/4 oz #2 Hevi Metal shell (#2 steel and #4 9.2 to 9.8 g/cc Hevi shot blend) has an extra 10 to 40 pellets, you can get the same or more number of extra pellets per shell simply by shooting a 1 3/8 #2 Steel shot shell. Still both shells already have more than enough pellets in them at the lethal range of #2 steel shot or #4 hevi shot provided the choke combination presents a good pattern and shot string within the size shot's effective range.

All I'm saying is Hevi metal #4 patterns best in my guns and we have far fewer cripples. 12 limits this year and not one cripple to date. We down over 1000 birds a year, so we go off of results, not a spreadsheet.

Re: I need to pick a fight - 11/13/15 12:23 AM

We are in more agreement than you know. I often use #6 steel over decoys if using my 12 or 20ga. Many more pellets than your Hevi Metal #4 steel load and more pellets than is needed. Both are very effective dense loads for shooting over decoys, but neither gives a greater advantage over the other for that reason.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum