Texas Hunting Forum

Shotguns

Posted By: Blue drake

Shotguns - 11/10/15 10:55 PM

Ok guys looking for a new shotgun. I have had it with mine. I am looking for a semi auto chambered in 3 or 3.5. Price range from 600-800. Let's keep the guns in this price range please. I like the beretta a300 and franchi affinity. Any information on these guns or others in the price range would be great!
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 10:57 PM

3 B's are the way to go... Berreta, Browning, Benelli

Will be tough to get one of the B's in that price range though. You may be looking at a Stoeger or something like that. Maybe a Charles Daly or Mossberg.

I use Browning Maxus and Benelli Vinci, both in the ~1500 range. I believe Beretta is more, but could be wrong.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:01 PM

I would go with the Franchi.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:06 PM

If you look around you might find a Winchester super x3 pretty close to that. I found mine on sale for 850 a few years back. It's a browning design made by fn Belgium. I love it. Been super reliable and shoots really well

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:06 PM

Beretta a300 outlander 750 beretta a300 extrema 1000
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:08 PM

Sx3 or the a300 are the best in your price range
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:12 PM

Beretta A300 shoots 3" maximum and is in your budget
Beretta A350 Xtrema Semiautomatic Shotgun can shoot 3.5" and is closer to $1,000

The A300 is a really nice shooting shotgun and will provide years of service you can pass along to future generations. Shooting a gas gun is easy on the shoulder as well. Plus it can cycle light loads to magnums just fine without changing anything. I've never had a use, need or perceived benefit from 3.5" shells. Birds don't seem to notice the difference.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Buffs 1
I would go with the Franchi.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:18 PM

I finally agree with #Hayraker on something.

Another option would be to find a used 391 or 390...those guns are built for the long haul and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. Matter of fact my duck gun (391) I did buy used.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Shotguns - 11/10/15 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek

Will be tough to get one of the B's in that price range though. You may be looking at a Stoeger or something like that. Maybe a Charles Daly or Mossberg.

I use Browning Maxus and Benelli Vinci, both in the ~1500 range. I believe Beretta is more, but could be wrong.

Stoeger is junk. Get A300 beretta for 700 bucks.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 12:00 AM

My Remington 11-87 has out performed a Benelli SBE2 on several occasions...

Keep it clean and you won't have issues up

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Another option would be to find a used 391 or 390...

Awesome shotgun. Good luck finding one. hammer
Posted By: clydeg

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 12:22 AM

I shoot a Mossberg 930. Paid around $600 for the waterfowl version and after shooting several cases of 2 3/4" lead and a few cases of 3" steel, I've had zero problems. I'm still not sure what I'm missing out on by not having a "B" gun besides the coolness factor.
Posted By: Cole4544

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 12:59 AM

I just bought a Browning Silver Hunter and I've already taken two limits with it. Great shotgun, just a little out of your price range at $960.00 on Bud's. The Sx3 is basically the same shotgun, if you absolutely have to stay in your price range that will be the ticket. Compare the two though and you'll see a big difference for not that much more coin; seeing as your already planning spending quite a bit.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler

I hunted last season in sub 0 Temps with the stoeger m3500 and had zero problems when my other guns completely crapped out. Hunted all dove season and teal season with it and lent it to someone on 4 hunts this season without a single malfunction. They are heavy and ugly, but I wouldn't call them junk, at least not the 3500. Mine has a few thousand rounds through it with zero problems.

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Cole4544
I just bought a Browning Silver Hunter and I've already taken two limits with it. Great shotgun, just a little out of your price range at $960.00 on Bud's. The Sx3 is basically the same shotgun, if you absolutely have to stay in your price range that will be the ticket. Compare the two though and you'll see a big difference for not that much more coin; seeing as your already planning spending quite a bit.

It is a little more, yes your right. But My wife and I are having our first baby boy so getting another gun is pretty good. Plus i am selling a couple guns to get this one.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 01:17 AM

I'd take a Stoeger M3000 over an A300 in a heartbeat. I've owned both

Reliability, built like a tank, Inertia action, inexpensive, great customer service that's the best in the biz, and more importantly, for the simple fact it's a great shotgun that's easy to shoot, is accurate with good factory chokes, fit and finish is first rate. It looks good too.

A lot of 3 gun shooters run Stoeger M3000. They run them because their reliable, will eat any she'll you feed it, and a heck of a bargain for an inertia bolt action shotgun. High level competitors shoot a lot, 80,000 rounds up to 400k . They know reliability. And you don't see many A300 shooters. For a reason.

The Stoeger M3000 camo version can be had for less than $600,

My $.02, and worth as much....
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 01:21 AM

Yeah it appears I was wrong about A300. I've been taking people hunting for almost 15 years and have seen every gun in action. I clean my guns one time at end of season. They've performed at the highest level in the toughest conditions. Just my personal preference, not a cool factor like someone else stated. I wouldn't own a stoeger, but with quality shells, I have seen that they perform fine. With Experts, not so much. They are in the price range though.

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

I hunted last season in sub 0 Temps with the stoeger m3500 and had zero problems when my other guns completely crapped out. Hunted all dove season and teal season with it and lent it to someone on 4 hunts this season without a single malfunction. They are heavy and ugly, but I wouldn't call them junk, at least not the 3500. Mine has a few thousand rounds through it with zero problems.

I've seen the same thing on some hunts that were sub zero temps, 30 mph winds with snow blowing sideways and visibility less than a 100 feet. We heard the geese long before we could see them, dropping in corn fields in front of our blinds. Crazy birds flying in those condition. Man, they're one tough birds

Example -,Central Kansas, Feb 3-5 2014. First day is blue sky, that night, winter storm Nika hit and hit HARD. Woke up in our hotel in Huntchison KS, looked out the window, solid white, snow blowing sideways, headlights from Bobcat snow plows clearing roads, it was surreal. We're freaked, thinkin we drove a hell of a long way and dropped the money to do it for nothing, and the hunt was gonna be a bust. Couple of us had hunted there enough to know we still had a chance to get in some birds if the guide did his homework. And he did. We called the guide at 4am expecting disappointment. The opposite, the guy was pumped to the gills, said we were gonna have an epic hunt. He was right. Temps in the single digits or below zero, 40 mph gusts, you couldn't see 50 feet. And so many geese. We had the wind in our faces, and had huge flocks of honkin, hollering B-52s so loud it was deafening, swing wide on the downwind leg, come in right over the top of the cedar tree we were hiding in, then literally drop straight down to the field, right in front of our faces, as though gravity didnt matter.

It was an epic hunt, burned into my brain so deep that I'm certain that when the time comes and I'm a senile old man, hanging out in the old folks home, muttering gibberish, eating baby food, wearing diapers, farting to offend the old lady's, and constantly repeating the same story, over and over, it'll be the memory of that one goose hunt and me telling the same story about it nonstop, all day, 24/7, that's gonna drive all the other old farts batsh1t crazy.
'
Out of all the shotguns used on that hunt (and we all had backups), the only shotguns that worked after being cold soaked were Stoeger M3000s and my new model A5. Around 8-10 shotguns failed to function due to the cold. There were several O/U used as well and they were crappin their pants like all the others.

I've seen too many similar incidents on a number of cold weather hunts and the facts don't lie. When a significant number of guides who hunt in weather that kills are using Stoegers, its for the simple reason that they're inexpensive and a workhorse of a shotgun. Not all that pretty or sexy, but gets the job done when the others can't.

Anyone tells you an M3000 is junk doesn't know what they're talking about.. Other Stoeger models, yea, junk

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 02:12 AM

Junk and you're out of line with your language

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 02:35 AM

When/if someone who's actually running the show and whose opinion matters asks, tells, demands, or threatens to smack or ban me if I don't clean up my language, I'll be more than happy to do so. And JIC, if you ARE actually running the show here and I just don't know it, please accept my apology.

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 02:38 AM

Apology accepted

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 02:39 AM

Thanks for editing your post.
Posted By: phat694

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 02:48 AM

I've had a Stoeger m2000 for 5 plus years never once a problem, I'd still be shooting it this year but I upgraded to a Benelli M2. I hear the Stoeger 3500 is a solid gun also.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 03:06 AM

Bought a M3500 a couple of months ago and really like it. Handles all shell lengths well as long as the 23/4" shells are 11/8 oz. loads. The one ounce loads may cycle later after more use. No problems at all so far.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 03:14 AM

Get what ever you can shoot comfortably. I have some cool shotguns but the ones I duck hunt with are Benelli Novas. The supernova in a 12 and Nova in 20. Never had a problem!
Posted By: 68A

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 03:37 AM

A300 has been solid for me

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
High level competitors shoot a lot, 80,000 rounds up to 400k . They know reliability. And you don't see many A300 shooters. For a reason.

The A300 is a field shotgun within the OP's price range built on a reliable Beretta frame.

People who shoot those kinds of numbers you mention either use over/unders, or shot the AL391 in the past or newer A400. Even then the ~400,000 round shooters are accustomed to replacing parts and having work done. By the way there are 525,960 minutes in a year. Benelli are the other semi-auto seeing those kind of numbers and surviving.

And in extreme cold, proper lubricant and cleaning for all brands plays more of a role for a semi-auto shotgun that has been broken in.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 05:03 AM

I shoot an M3500. Never once had a problem. It has inertia system. I paid $650 for it in black.

It has 3.5 inch capability and goes boom. Really hard to disagree with that.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 12:03 PM

Tri Star Viper, uses Beretta choke tubes so you have readily available chokes

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 01:49 PM

Weatherby SA-08 is a very good value semi auto if you can accept a 3" shell maximum.
Posted By: Zach Attack!

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 02:19 PM

I was in your shoes a while back I went with an SX3 and abosolutley love it! The A300 and the Affinity are great guns too, it really comes down to what fits you best.

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 03:09 PM

SX3 I didn't mention in my earlier post but it's a great gun. Their black gun has a great coating on it that won't get nasty. I had one and it was the softest recoiling gun I've ever owned. I just couldn't get the comb on the stock high enough to fit me right. But they are a great gun at a great price.

FWIW - I have a black 391 that I'll sell you for $800 and it has counter balancers on endcap and in the stock w/ factory blue plastic case. I didn't realize they were so hard to find now. It needs cleaned and if I was going to duck hunt with it I'd have someone hydro dip it.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Shotguns - 11/11/15 03:11 PM

lots of good info on this tread up

OP has some tough decisions to make
Posted By: Nick1

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 01:51 AM

A300 all day
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 04:29 PM

Stoeger = Benelli without the name. So I really don't understand how one could use the word "junk" so loosely when referencing stoeger.

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 06:53 PM

No it's not. The parts aren't even close between a stoeger and benelli
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 07:28 PM

Guys, GUYS... you're all wrong hammer

Winchester 1300 is where it's at. Only thrown one slide arm, ruining only one duck hunt, plus the one time a spent Kent Fasteel shell got lodged in the barrel rendering my gun temporarily useless as my first ever flock of pintails dropped in on our spread and promptly disappeared. Other than that, and the rib's weld breaking off, and the retainer cap bead disappearing, it's been a solid and reliable dove/duck gun for nearly 10 years! roflmao

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 08:29 PM

Alright guys I am getting the berreta a300. Thanks for all the help.
Now. Is there a good way to break in or does it need it?

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 08:33 PM

Read the book for break in but normally the break in is shoot a flat of stout shells to get the springs broken in for lighter loads. You're duck loads should be perfect for that.

I'd also give it a good cleaning first.

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Read the book for break in but normally the break in is shoot a flat of stout shells to get the springs broken in for lighter loads. You're duck loads should be perfect for that.

I'd also give it a good cleaning first.

up

Definitely a good cleaning. I believe you will find a good YouTube video on cleaning the A300. Be sure to follow the instructions about lubricant. Not a good idea to lube everything on that gas gun. Wipe the moving parts with a quality cleaner first to remove any protectant. I still like to use good old hoppes no 9.

You need to be able to take it apart for a proper cleaning.

Enjoy the shotgun!

Update: yes beretta has a nice cleaning video.
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 09:50 PM

Stoeger M3500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been shooting mine for 3 seasons now, working on season number 4. It has never given me any issues at all other than one time when shooting some light 7/8oz loads while shooting clays, it wouldn't cycle correctly. That only happened about every 15 shots. But when duck hunting, it has never ever had an issue! I love the gun!!! If I remember correctly, it was in the $600-$700 range...
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Deputy T

Stoeger = Benelli without the name. So I really don't understand how one could use the word "junk" so loosely when referencing stoeger.

My thoughts exactly...

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: yakinthebox

My thoughts exactly...

its amazing to me that people still buy Stoegers, do a quick search for reviews and get back with me about it being the same as a benelli.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
its amazing to me that people still buy Stoegers, do a quick search for reviews and get back with me about it being the same as a benelli.

Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 10:48 PM

Hope I'm not too late to join in . I just went through all this decisions a couple weeks ago . I had a long list of guns , talked on 5 different websites forums and narrowed down to 6 top guns then after checking out most of them I went with the FRANCHI AFFINITY 12-ga S.A. , 28" barrel , 3" chamber , wood stock $849.99 at Cabelas . BTW I might add also it has a 7 yr warranty .

I went 3" chamber because I heard so many talk about being real sore after shooting 3.5" ammo all day , I didn't want that . The AFFINITY comes with 3 chokes , Mod-IC-Full and adjustment wedges for adjusting drop . Weights 6.8-lbs , magazine 4+1 , LOP 14-3/8" . I'm med size at 5'9" , 220-lbs and this AFFINITY fit me perfect out of the box . This S?G will kill any water fowl or upland birds and can still be used for Trap/Skeet practice . Easy break down and cleaning , Inertia Drive not gas .

I struggled between the Affinity and the A300 . What I didn't like about the A300 is the oiled stock and it was dark and weights 7.25-lb. and runs $779.99 at Cabelas . When I tried fitting it , it didn't work for me even tho I know the drop and LOP can be adjusted . If it's not close already out of the box then I have a problem with it . Other than that it's an extremely nice gun ! Now if you insist on a 3.5" Chamber then go with the A350 Xtrema for $999.99 . It has a 3.5" chamber but guaranteed you are going to have to adjust the Drop and LOP . But it's also a great duck gun but a 3" will blow ducks out of the sky as well ! Also it's just been introduced this fall of 2015 so it's brand new and not on the Berettas' website .

Now one other I guarantee is a great gun is the Remington 870 WingMaster . Runs $699.99 at Cabelas and I have heard nothing but good about it . It's been a well known and well thought of gun for many decades AND it's made in USA !

FRANCHI AFFINITY

Beretta A300

Remington 870 WingMaster

Beretta A350

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 11:00 PM

Another thing I need to mention is the AFFINITY the minimum shot size is 3-dram, 1-1/8 oz and does not need breaking in . The Berettas need a breakin period and make sure you follow manufactures recommendations or you'll have trouble with shells ejecting properly .
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 11:14 PM

You all should realize the Beretta Corp/family owns Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, among others. Therefore Beretta is catering to different tastes, likes, etc. Inertia vs Gas is somewhat irrelevant, in my opinion. I've seen both fail in the field. The gas failure was because the gun had never been cleaned. The inertia failure was a failure of the spring in the stock due to water rusting it out over time. Point is that they all require maintenance. Take care of what you own and it will be fine.

I do believe get what you pay for in most cases. I'd rather have a Beretta or Benelli rather than one of their offshoots. I've been shooting an A400 in the field for several years and it's a wonderful gun. I'd have to believe the A300 would be somewhat similar. The M3500 is a great gun as long as you shoot 3" shells. My father has one and it does not like 2 3/4" shells (about 1/3 fail to eject), so we don't even bring it to the sporting clay range any more, as it's not reliable with those loads.

Re: Shotguns - 11/12/15 11:57 PM

With regard to fit. If you like to shoot a lot or just want to shoot better and more comfortably. Go to a professional shotgun fitter. Shooting with a fitted shotgun is really nice,

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Guitars&Guns
You all should realize the Beretta Corp/family owns Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, among others. Therefore Beretta is catering to different tastes, likes, etc. Inertia vs Gas is somewhat irrelevant, in my opinion.

I might mention that Beretta is an Italian Company also . The FRANCHI is totally made in Italy , barrel and stock , imported to the USA by Beretta and distributed out to dealers by Beretta . BUT if you have a warranty problem the BerettaUSA will take care of all warranties .

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/world-of-beretta/today/
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 01:01 AM

I will add to this post as well. I bought a Franchi Affinity last year and have ran about 7 flats through it so far, that's 1750 shells, its been a great gun, very light also.
Very good buy for an interia operated gun.
The Stoeger is a heavy 2x4 over a pound heavier, does the job though I guess.
Not sure how many people on this forum even know how to take an automatic apart to clean it all but if you do you will find out the Affinity has a lot less parts the a gas gun. Very easy to break down and clean.
Posted By: Letmland

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 01:01 AM

I have been hunting for 44 years. I know how to take care of a shotgun. I bought two 3.5 SX3 Winchesters in Feb. of this year from different stores. Both shoulder well, have a great trigger and have minimal recoil. They will cycle anything but they are finicky on ammo that falls on the low side of the diameter tolerance. After you chamber a shell and out one in the mag tube, any relatively smaller diameter shotgun shell no matter what length ---2-3/4 through 3-1/2" is a pain to get the third shell in. They work fine with Winchester Dry Lok and Remington Nitro Steel.

I also learned that there is no warranty with an SX3 or at least the manual says nothing about one. I don't have time to deal with this. I plan to hunt this season and send both of them back after it is over. I will let them know now. I made three skeet trips, one teal trip and one big duck trip before this started. Knowing what I know now, I would have done two things differently: 1.) I would have gotten a 3" gun. I don't need the 3.5". 2.) I would have gotten a Bennelli.

If your are like me, you won't be satisfied with settling for almost as good as. I should have waited a while longer and saved more. Lesson learned.

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 01:56 AM

Let me add this. I see NO mention of Warranty in the Winchester manual----shocked. The Benelli has a TEN year warranty whether you turn the warranty card in or not. Crocodile tears

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Letmland
Let me add this. I see NO mention of Warranty in the Winchester manual----shocked. The Benelli has a TEN year warranty whether you turn the warranty card in or not. Crocodile tears

Winchester does do warranty work on their firearms. They just don't have a written warranty. Other firearm companies do this too. I believe ruger is one as well. It's called a good faith warranty. They stand behind their products.

My brother had his sx3 worked on. He just called them up and they had him send it in. It came back in just a few weeks. He wound up having to send it in again and they sent him a new shotgun. No problems since. My sx3 has operated flawlessly for six seasons of hard use. Only 1 jam ever and I think it was do to being dirty.

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 03:02 AM

The sx3 is also browning made. Browning will stand behind it too

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 03:28 AM

Thanks for the head's up. I have one of them dialed in to me. I raised the and shimed it to Cast On since I am left handed. It melts into me. My son s using the other one and is a dead eye with it.

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 04:09 AM

Thanks for the head's up. I have one of them dialed in to me. I raised the and shimed it to Cast On since I am left handed. It melts into me. My so is using the other one and is a dead eye with it.

???????????? Some of your post makes little sense and some don't make any sense at all ..... . What in the world are you talking about here ?? Are you sure your not a SPAMMER ?

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 04:24 AM

I bought one 26" Black Shadow 3.5 SX3 from Buds Gun Shop.

I bought one 28" MOSGB 3.5 SX3 from Cabela's in Allen, TX.

Both guns are finicky with any ammo regardless of the length if it is made the - side of the diameter tolerance. They do not want to accept the second shell in the mag tube with the plug in.

When i started having issues, i broke both of them down to the screws to look for causes. Nothing I can see is wrong and I keep my firearms clean and lightly oiled. When i put my shotgun back together, I reversed the safety and changed neutral shim for the shim that is cast on, raises fhe comb and lowers the drop. I put the camo version back together and reversed the safety on it as well since my son also shoots left handed.

I still wished i had gotten two Benellis but i am trying to make the best out of it until after the season is done. The closest repair shop authorized by Winchester is McClelland's and they are one to two weeks out. And, why should i have pay anything for two shotguns bought in February of this year to function as advertised?

No spam just a word of caution on the SX3 and again trying to get through it and make do for now.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 05:09 AM

I have been hunting for 44 years. I know how to take care of a shotgun. I bought two 3.5 SX3 Winchesters in Feb. of this year from different stores. Both shoulder well, have a great trigger and have minimal recoil. They will cycle anything but they are finicky on ammo that falls on the low side of the diameter tolerance. After you chamber a shell and out one in the mag tube, any relatively smaller diameter shotgun shell no matter what length ---2-3/4 through 3-1/2" is a pain to get the third shell in. They work fine with Winchester Dry Lok and Remington Nitro.

I own 3 winchester SX3's as well as 2 Benelli SBE II's. I am also pretty handy when It comes to wrenching my own guns as well as handloading shotshells, metallic and casting.

Just how in the hell does the diameter of a shotshell, that is on the low side of tolerence, have anything to do with getting a second shell in the magazine? This makes ZERO sense.

The SX3, Browning Maxus, and Browning Silver are all made by FNH in Belgium and have the same guts. They are top tier guns and one of the best values in an autoloader. Both of my 12's are 3 1/2 and my 20 is a 3 inch. None have ever given a hint of trouble. They all load effortlessly and digest any loads thrown into them. Even the cheapo walmart promo winchester universal trash that turn the Benellis into single shots. Maybe you assembled something wrong? Trash built up in mag tube? Tilting follower? Did you break them down and clean the magazines of packing grease?

The SBE's shine in the blowing grit. Gas guns choke but they keep chugging along with anything over 1 1/8 oz 3 dram loads. I believe the SBE's are waaaaaaay over priced for what they are. In fact, I'd imagine that the SX3 or even the Nova pump cost them more to produce, with the amount of machine work that go into them. They are worth the asking price to me only in the sense that they will function when all others choke, in the conditions I put them in.

My 2 cents, for what its worth...

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 05:55 AM

1. I sell high end fluid systems that average $40K a pop and go upwards. And as such, I keep tools in my work truck. One of those tools is a caliper. We noticed some shells would feed and some would not. We kept digging into it and found the cheap blue box federal steel and cheap winchester target shells are smaller in diameter. You can look at them and tell the difference without mic'ing them. They don't feed the second shell into the mag tube without some trouble.

2. Winchester Super X3 components are made in Belgium. The shotgun is fitted and assembled in Portugal. That is a huge difference from the Belgium Auto 5 my Grandfather used.

3. There is a noticable difference in fit and finish from the SX3's that were made and assembled in Belgium.

4. I am installing a Surecycle magazine upgrade kit. I think the issue is the cheap plastic follower plug in the magazine tube.

5. I am putting a Surecycle return recoil assembly in it as well.

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 05:59 AM

BTW, if you read my second post to explain the issue, you will discover that I took both shotguns down to the screws and found nothing bent or corroded or dirty. Again, i believe the magazine spring is sub par an
d weak and i believe follower plug is flimsy and is tiltling when there one shell already in the mag.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 11:39 AM

I have a Browning Silver Hunter and it eats everything its feed, it handles beautifully Points easy! If It was not the Browning Id get Winchester SX3, something in a camo pattern maybe!
Posted By: P_102

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 12:35 PM

Shell diameter? Follower plug?

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 12:52 PM

Shell Diameter - the circumference of the leading edge of the shell.

Follower plug - the now usually plastic cup you see when you push the the leading edge of the first shell into the magazine.

Both shotguns worked fine with all shells through the first 300 rounds then it started.

It's real and this is not a troll. I have sympathy for you if you cannot comprehend. I deal with tolerances, warpage, wear and pressure loss every minute of every working day. Stuff happens.

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 02:58 PM

Shell Diameter - the circumference of the leading edge of the shell.

Follower plug - the now usually plastic cup you see when you push the the leading edge of the first shell into the magazine.

Both shotguns worked fine with all shells through the first 300 rounds then it started.

It's real and this is not a troll. I have sympathy for you if you cannot comprehend. I deal with tolerances, warpage, wear and pressure loss every minute of every working day. Stuff happens.

I would seriously look at the follower. Sounds like its getting tilted and/or binding. Spring has nothing to do with it if other larger diameter shells will feed.

You would think that the smaller diameter, the EASIER the shells would feed into the mag. Unless you are putting uneven pressure on the follower and its binding.

FNH typically does not put out garbage. I dont care if the parts are belgian and assembled elsewhere.

Obviously its not your Grandpas Auto 5.

Old Auto 5's are long anction recoil operated.

The FNH guns are Gas guns.

The new A5 and Benellis are short action spring guns with fancy monikers like "inertia driven" or " Kinematic drive".

Other than handloads, my SX3's get fed nothing but the cheap Federal Speed Shoks. My kids shoot them and they are far from being babied. Speed Shoks deliver the best factory patterns in my guns, albiet they are very dirty burning shells.

I am not alone in my findings. Google speed shoks and patterns, they come out right on top for a good many folks.

Lots of folks put a lot of faith in the sure cycle systems. I don't believe this will help your problem one bit, since they are installed in the butt of the gun.

I've had to re-spring one of the benellis. Used Wolff springs without issue.

Good luck

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 06:49 PM

Thanks Pato. Love the shotguns and most importantly, I can hit with it. Called Surecycle today. I am going to put their follower plug in once Mack's PW ships it to me. FN products fit me better. Always have. Not trying to be a smart [censored].

Re: Shotguns - 11/13/15 11:17 PM

Talked with 2 people at Browning today. The newer versions of the SX3 commonly have issues with loading 3.5" shells in the mag tube. The fix is a $50 Surecycle mag upgrade kit. The aluminum follower s deidgned not to tilt. Case closed.

Re: Shotguns - 11/14/15 12:23 AM

Talked with 2 people at Browning today. The newer versions of the SX3 commonly have issues with loading 3.5" shells in the mag tube. The fix is a $50 Surecycle mag upgrade kit. The aluminum follower s deidgned not to tilt. Case closed.

Did they say how new of the sx3 that has the issues? Mine is about 6. And I've shot just about all the shells you mention with zero......zero.... Problems! They must have changed something. I've actually had good luck shooting the 1 oz target loads with very little problems at the range, despite the recommendation by Winchester to use at least 1 1/8 oz loads.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Shotguns - 11/17/15 03:56 PM

[/quote]

its amazing to me that people still buy Stoegers, do a quick search for reviews and get back with me about it being the same as a benelli. [/quote]

No where did I say it was the SAME as a Benelli. Equals does not mean the SAME! Some parts are very similar and some are different. At the end of the day you're still getting a good shotgun OWNED and made by very reputable companies. You would have understood my statement if you were not so fast to leave your smart@$$ comment.

I shoot Benelli and Stoeger.

Re: Shotguns - 11/17/15 04:06 PM

[/quote]

No where did I say it was the SAME as a Benelli. Equals does not mean the SAME! Some parts are very similar and some are different. At the end of the day you're still getting a good shotgun OWNED and made by very reputable companies. You would have understood my statement if you were not so fast to leave your smart@$$ comment.

I shoot Benelli and Stoeger. [/quote]

your comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Cadillac, owned by the same parent company, but not the same. You like your stoeger, and that's great, but you cant assume that all the negative reviews were made by idiots that just cant operate a gun...where there is smoke there is fire.

maybe they fixed those problems that they had? either way they cant be compared to a benelli just like the Malibu cant be compared to a Caddy even though they both run on gas engines and owned by the same folks.

Re: Shotguns - 11/17/15 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

I shoot Benelli and Stoeger. [/quote]

your comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Cadillac, owned by the same parent company, but not the same. You like your stoeger, and that's great, but you cant assume that all the negative reviews were made by idiots that just cant operate a gun...where there is smoke there is fire.

maybe they fixed those problems that they had? either way they cant be compared to a benelli just like the Malibu cant be compared to a Caddy even though they both run on gas engines and owned by the same folks. [/quote]

^^^This

Just like the SX3, Browning Silver, and Maxus.

All guts are made by FNH and are basically the same. Browning/winchester adds different bells and whistles to each and brands them what they like. A bunch of the parts are even interchangable on these models. You can bet that some models are cheaper NOT because of Name only. They cut corners to make different brands cheaper. Leave out mag cut offs, etc.

I have no clue about differences between Benelli and stoger as I've never handled a Stoger.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that costs were cut somewhere.

Shoot what you like. My Sx3's have been totally reliable within the limits that I use them...save one blown/ringed barrel that Browning/Winchester sold to me at dealer cost after my sob story about my son ruining the gun because of subsequent firing after a squib.

Re: Shotguns - 11/17/15 05:57 PM

The MOSGB SX3 will not consistently cycle 3.5" Federal Blue Box #4 or Kent Fasteel #4 3.5". It jams sporadically after the first shot. My son is a 6'-2", 190LB Texas High School Dual Threat Quarterback that has been hunting for 7 years since age 9. I don't think it's him.

I am running Dry Lok 3" 4's with a full carlsons super steel non ported extended choke in my black shadow SX3 and have fallen in love after raising the comb and lowering the drop. It inhales the 3" Dry Loks.

We will keep looking for a 3.5 #4 the SX3 likes. The thing is we love the way these things shoot and handle. Shooting 3" 12 gauge is like shooting 20 gauge shells recoil wise. I have had phenomenal luck with Dry Lok 2 and 4 shot over the years with a full choke for steel at all ranges up to 45 or 50 yards. My window is narrow but when I am on, wings get broken and stuff drops.

Re: Shotguns - 11/17/15 05:58 PM

I dont think they make Dry Lok in 3.5 4 shot or we would have some.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Shotguns - 11/17/15 06:12 PM

I have had phenomenal luck with Dry Lok 2 and 4 shot over the years with a full choke for steel at all ranges up to 45 or 50 yards.

Be careful with that combo.

Re: Shotguns - 11/17/15 06:46 PM

Use a Carlson's super steel full extended non ported not the factory full.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum