Texas Hunting Forum

Is it ever too windy to kill ducks?

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 08:43 PM

I'm not really impressed with warm, sunny, and 35mph wind for the forecast tomorrow. I would prefer cloudy, cold, and 15mph wind, but I'm going either way.

Just wondering what y'all would expect hunting wise? The birds were there as of this morning and plenty of them.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 08:45 PM

I don't mind the wind as much as the clear skys and warmer temps

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 08:45 PM

with 25mph id be searching for a calm pocket and put the wind to my side
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Same here.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 08:48 PM

35 is a little high, but you can bet they are gonna try to get out of the wind. Sunny with wind is a waterfowler's dream if you have flooded timber. Will be tough if you are hunting big water. Hunt up wind if at all possible.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 09:12 PM

I would rather hunt a blue clear cold day than anything. Too much wind will just pin them down.

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 09:33 PM

Hopefully the wind isn't too crazy at the crack of dawn and we can knock a few down, we shall see.
Posted By: BULSPRG

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 09:51 PM

If your going to be out in a boat, be careful if your on big water.

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BULSPRG
If your going to be out in a boat, be careful if your on big water.

No sir, I won't launch even my big center console in 35mph...
Posted By: BDB

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 10:46 PM

well, at least you won't have the time to smell a bad fart oozing out the waders.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/10/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Yup
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I would rather hunt a blue clear cold day than anything. Too much wind will just pin them down.

up
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 03:12 AM

Wind can eliminate a lot of water where they won't be.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 03:47 AM

For patos: cloudy, 10-17 mph wind, light drizzle and cold north wind has been the best for me
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 08:50 AM

Most ducks I ever saw was on a day the wind was blowing sleet and snow sideways.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 11:57 AM

For pond hunting and pond jumping the more wind the better

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 04:31 PM

Ugly strap and lost a cripple but still had fun.

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 05:20 PM

up
Posted By: garrett

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 05:38 PM

ugly as sin, but better than sitting at the office like I am right now
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 05:47 PM

This recent "ugly strap" phenomena of duck class distinctions where a man feels the need to make excuses why he failed to kill any ducks with higher social standing is amusing. I'm assuming that's the issue. If not, well, I don't want to know what it is your doing.

Engaging in behavior that leaves you feeling dirty and ashamed is terrible, but feeling dirty and ashamed over something you're doing with a duck can't be good.

whatever it is you're doing to the ducks, do it safely. Condoms are cheap, the Ducks will thank you.

Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
This recent "ugly strap" phenomena of duck class distinctions where a man feels the need to make excuses why he failed to kill any ducks with higher social standing is amusing.

Couldn't agree more. If you're too good for a strap of ringers, reds, or whatever, leave em be. More for those of us that love em. Well, 'cept the spoonies. I'll leave those for the next guy...

To answer the OP, I love hunting those crazy windy days. One of my most memorable hunts was an afternoon hunt in North Dakota. Bluebird day & we had wind gusting to 45mph. Good-sized pothole lake was full of teal & we were pass shooting em. Shooting was fast & furious & I went through 2 boxes of shells to get my limit of those little speed demons. There was 2 other guys with me that weren't real experienced shooters & they went through 2 boxes each & only got a couple. Tons of fun!!
Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 06:07 PM

I know it's been mentioned on here before, but a late season, fully plumed spoonie isn't that ugly of a duck.

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 06:12 PM

yall boys don't like shootin duck enough... Id clean that red, spoony, gw, and ruddys cook them all together and no one would be able to tell the difference
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 06:55 PM

I find that to be quite an interesting strap. I'm not very monogamous when it comes to ducks.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 08:16 PM

This recent "ugly strap" phenomena of duck class distinctions where a man feels the need to make excuses why he failed to kill any ducks with higher social standing is amusing. I'm assuming that's the issue. If not, well, I don't want to know what it is your doing.

Engaging in behavior that leaves you feeling dirty and ashamed is terrible, but feeling dirty and ashamed over something you're doing with a duck can't be good.

whatever it is you're doing to the ducks, do it safely. Condoms are cheap, the Ducks will thank you.

That comes off as a little weird.

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/11/15 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

That comes off as a little weird.

Yup some of y'all are weirdos...

Don't have an issue cleaning or eating any of them......I'll kill that same strap every outing if that's what I get. Still don't make it a pretty one.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Is it ever too windy to kill ducks? - 11/12/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

This, too much or zero always seems to make the birds stay down
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum