Texas Hunting Forum

Dog Blinds

Posted By: tthame1

Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 12:27 AM

How many of you use dog blinds when hunting out of layouts? For those that do, what brand are you using and does it impact your dog's ability to mark birds? I've heard very mixed reviews on most of them, but the Rig Em Right one seems to get consistently good reviews.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 12:36 AM

Two of us use the Hard Core Dog Cave and one of us uses the Rig Em Right.

We don't use them during teal season but do for big ducks. They both work well and the dogs keep their heads out far enough to mark birds...... But heck mine is usually at least half way out when the shooting starts.

The Rig Em Right one is smaller and breaks down smaller. Both are easy to fold up.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 12:40 AM

Burlap works great for me, those dog blinds are silly jmo. When birds are really skidish, I completely cover up my dog, and she can still mark birds looking thru the burlap. So get burlap that is not tightly woven.

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 12:46 AM

She can see right thru it.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 01:21 AM

Mine just lay next to the layouts. I keep saying I will get a blind but I have not.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 01:38 AM

Dont use one but if i was buying it would be the Invisalab. Multi purpose and gets great reviews.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 04:13 AM

Momarsh invisilab.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 02:36 PM

Good topic. I've been looking into getting one of these, as my lab is nearly white.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 03:09 PM

I use the hardcore, and I like it but if I had to do it again id do the momarsh, and if you use a stand for water like me, you'll come out ahead instead of having to buy both $$$
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 03:28 PM

This is funny, never used one myself, never seem to matter. Have had ducks nearly land on my dog several times while on retrieves, I usually have her wear a neon pink or yellow collar too while she is on her stand or on the ground.
Would not hurt though.
But again I have a brown dog for a reason, if your one of those that bought a white/yellow lab because your wife or kids thought they were cute it might not be a bad idea.
You could always do like Guy and make your dog wear face paint. rofl
Posted By: Ty Webb

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 04:17 PM

Used hard core for a year before it fell apart. Been using cabelas ever since. It's a better blind but I wish it was maybe 20% smaller than it is.
My dog knows that's his spot and it's great if birds show up that he's covered up and hidden with one 'kennel' command. Burlap is too much of a hassle.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 04:20 PM

My dog fits in my layout with me. She lays down between my feet facing the water. One advantage of having a 50lb lab.

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
You could always do like Guy and make your dog wear face paint. rofl

Not true, I have never put face paint on my dog, but if we are hunting over bare mud flat and birds are skidish, I will smear mud on her, help her blend in. Brown dog blends better on mud, yellow dog blends better in the reeds..

This is funny, never used one myself, never seem to matter. Have had ducks nearly land on my dog several times while on retrieves

Can't tell you how many times I have been standing out in the middle of the decoys and they come flying right in and land on my head, does not mean standing out in the decoys will not flare birds. Can't tell you how many times I watched birds work from a distance and birds flare for no reason, they are just skidish, and one thing does not look right to one bird, one flares and they all flare. When birds are skiddish like this, I hide me and my dog best I can. And humans aren't the only hunters of ducks, you see this hunter in there? This guy pissed me off, hunting during the split..

I see you, get the hell out of here!!

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 08:34 PM

Have had ducks nearly land on my dog several times while on retrieves

I've had it happen to mine on retrieves also. Even when they are on dry ground.

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
My dog fits in my layout with me. She lays down between my feet facing the water. One advantage of having a 50lb lab.

Is your dog showing any hearing loss?

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/24/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

I see you, get the hell out of here!!

I've had that same problem. One day I will have a rifle with me.

Even a wolf on occasion blush ...
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/25/15 05:15 PM

I use the Momarsh Invisilab almost every time I am hunting waterfowl. It is especially great in the marsh to keep your dog dry, or in heavy cover, where it gives my dog better visibility for marking. It is fine for field hunting as well. You just fold up the legs, set it on the ground and cover it up.

Jay

Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/25/15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Yeah that sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

My dog lays right behind me. No need to cover her up
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/25/15 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Not at all, when I sit up to shoot, the gun barrel is well above and in front of her. I open the bottom zipper just enough so she can see out while laying down flat.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/26/15 11:53 AM

Really like my invisilabs, I had an Avery ruff stand and it was a pos
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/26/15 09:15 PM

I walk in a good ways to most of my spots and have never been able to justify the weight. No blind for my dog, but I do use a homemade stand if I'm hunting in deeper water and it's cold.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Dog Blinds - 10/26/15 09:26 PM

I bought the cabela's blind last year and it's been great. I made a little platform to put it on in deep water.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum