Texas Hunting Forum

Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds

Posted By: DoveMaster

Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/01/15 05:08 AM

What the heck are those birds that when you hunt near a pond, they fly in and for a split second you are about to take a shot, and they turn out to be some acrobatic type birds that fly crazy, and sound like a seagull almost. I was hunting up near Ray Roberts last weekend and they started coming in droves, and i almost shot many a times, they look like dove coming in, but then have the crazy flight, usually hangout near water at ponds. I've even seen a few in some fields here in Krum. Just wondering what they are, kind of light colored. Almost look kind of like some of the birds that would hangout at a beach, but not seagulls obviously.
Posted By: browning_3248

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/01/15 06:00 AM

Killdeer.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/01/15 09:16 AM

Yep killdee is what we call them. Protected shore birds, be careful.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/01/15 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: browning_3248
Killdeer.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/01/15 01:08 PM

Killdeer but pronounced Kill-dee; at least how I was brought up
Posted By: Guy

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/01/15 01:41 PM

Dragonfly
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/01/15 01:49 PM

little sparrow hawks are bad too..
Posted By: fishfree

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/03/15 10:31 PM

killdeer usually call out as they come in to land or take off in alarm killdeer sounds

they are a kind of plover and probably were once (1800's?) hunted... neat little birds I watched a pair come in close on a pond a couple of weeks ago. They were vey nervous and would take off and return frequently.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/03/15 11:53 PM

Teal
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/04/15 12:48 AM

I had a whipporwill (aka bullbat, or nighthawk) near my pond last weekend. I scared it away and it flew back and circled me several times and landed in the same tree I scared it out of. They look a bit more like a seagull than killdeer and they make very little noise. If it was brown with white spots on its wings then it was probably a whipporwill.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/04/15 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
What the heck are those birds that when you hunt near a pond, they fly in and for a split second you are about to take a shot, and they turn out to be some acrobatic type birds that fly crazy, and sound like a seagull almost. I was hunting up near Ray Roberts last weekend and they started coming in droves, and i almost shot many a times, they look like dove coming in, but then have the crazy flight, usually hangout near water at ponds. I've even seen a few in some fields here in Krum. Just wondering what they are, kind of light colored. Almost look kind of like some of the birds that would hangout at a beach, but not seagulls obviously.
after dove season, there's duck season...it's even better!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Birds that sort of look like Dove, Acrobatic near ponds - 10/04/15 11:32 AM

Bullbat... Common Nighthawk...Bullbat
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum