Texas Hunting Forum

100% Public hunter now...

Posted By: Guy

100% Public hunter now... - 09/24/15 07:50 PM

Let my lease go to someone else last night (a THF member that does not post much). I was on this lease since 2009, made some great memories with my son, hated to let it go. But he is not that interested any more, and private water shooting just does not do it for me any more.

But it was a great experience, hope the new guy enjoys it as much as we did, he has 13 year old boy, I wish them the best. I was great for us, but time to move on...

They grow up fast...

Molly will miss it more than any one, Molly likes public, but the lease was home court for her...

Posted By: stxhunter

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/24/15 08:05 PM

Looks like you had a great time out there! Good luck for the rest of the season.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/24/15 09:11 PM

That was an awesome grey hole for sure. Since you have 2 months vacation time you should do well on public. grin
Posted By: QuackShack

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/24/15 09:28 PM

Ah yes, I remember couple those hunts you have posted there.
Dont worry I'll send ya 2nd hand photos of all the ducks he takes off of it cheers
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/24/15 09:39 PM

I'd rather hunt Public anyways, I just wish I had more lakes around me.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/24/15 09:41 PM

Guy, you better listen to Wayne and keep that rig runnin'!
Posted By: texassippi

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/24/15 09:49 PM

Gaddy central
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 03:33 AM

I dunno, adventuring is fun but if I could actually get on a productive duck lease I don't think I could let it go.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
I dunno, adventuring is fun but if I could actually get on a productive duck lease I don't think I could let it go.

I'm in the same boat. Usually lease out of state so I just don't know who to lease from and have heard too many bad stories about leases up here in NTX where I am.
Posted By: birddog14

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 04:42 AM

not enough mallards
Posted By: garrett

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 01:52 PM

sorry I didnt get back with you, Guy...I ended up letting all my leases go this year also, 100% public for me this year

at a certain point public just becomes more challenging, I mean if you can successfully hunt public week in and week out your pretty much on top of your waterfowl game up

hunting private is like shooting clays pretty much, just trigger time
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 01:56 PM

Garrett. Admit it. You have a kid now and had to give up the leases hammer
Posted By: RayB

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 02:04 PM

I have never hunted public, so forgive the dumb question. I want to take my grandson, does he have to have a public permit also, he's 14 YO?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I have never hunted public, so forgive the dumb question. I want to take my grandson, does he have to have a public permit also, he's 14 YO?

Youth license is all he needs.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
sorry I didnt get back with you, Guy...I ended up letting all my leases go this year also, 100% public for me this year

No problem, I was really looking for someone that was the best fit, I promised the owner I would find someone good, and the guy that is taking over is really a perfect fit.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Youth license is all he needs.

Just make sure you have your APH permit if you take him on a Type 2 public hunt.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: QuackShack
Dont worry I'll send ya 2nd hand photos of all the ducks he takes off of it cheers

Ha ha, don't give me that 2nd hand photo business, I know you will be out there hammering them. grin cheers

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Garrett. Admit it. You have a kid now and had to give up the leases hammer

I don't think that is it....

No problem, I was really looking for someone that was the best fit, I promised the owner I would find someone good, and the guy that is taking over is really a perfect fit.

I think this is it, Garrett tends to bring trouble with him bolt

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 03:24 PM

That is true
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 03:39 PM

at a certain point public just becomes more challenging, I mean if you can successfully hunt public week in and week out your pretty much on top of your waterfowl game up

yup..I love a private shoot ever now and then, and will miss my private I lost this year, but I enjoy the challenge public throws in your face..just gotta know where and when on public cuz some areas are full of jagoffs.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 04:02 PM

Damn
Posted By: aerangis

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 04:26 PM

.....at a certain point public just becomes more challenging, I mean if you can successfully hunt public week in and week out your pretty much on top of your waterfowl game upB

Guy/Garrett, shoot me a pm. I'll take you on the some of the best duck and goose hunts you've ever had. All public. All season long. No BS.

I'm not a guide but I hunt public 90% of the time for a reason. 6-7 days a week. All season long. And I'd be embarrassed to admit the number of birds I kill (legally). But I put a heck of a lot of hours in scouting and cover a lot of water. For no other reason than it's challenging and a heck of a lot of fun. As it should be. smile
Posted By: Heisman25g

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 04:59 PM

You'll regret it, public is the worst!!!!!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 05:45 PM

Ha ha, don't give me that 2nd hand photo business, I know you will be out there hammering them. grin cheers

Ok ok you got me. I will be blasting the crud out of gaddies off it cheers

I jokingly say that private is cheating because I have hunted public for so long and its alot more challanging or as Guy says- adventurous. Private just seems to easy.

Anyone who thinks public sucks or is no good simply does not put in the time or only hunts on the weekends.
There are more ducks to be killed then most people can image on public and most cases within walking distance.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 06:14 PM

Nope, public sucks.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 06:15 PM

Too many people, your hunt will get ruined. Stay private, much much better
Posted By: mohunter

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 06:39 PM

What's the world coming to?

Guy and Garret you guys must have lost your mind giving up those private spots, both you guy's are nuts, both of you are in store for a lot of disappointment and frustration.

Public hunting sucks!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 06:39 PM

Always hunted public, just not 100%. Last season I was exactly 50%. Just don't have time, or the interest, for private anymore. Who knows, that could change in the future. But this season, all my duck hunting time will be poured into working on my boats, scouting, and hunting public.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 07:40 PM

Always hunted public, just not 100%. Last season I was exactly 50%. Just don't have time, or the interest, for private anymore. Who knows, that could change in the future. But this season, all my duck hunting time will be poured into working on my boats, scouting, and hunting public.

Show them you ain't afraid to work and get the job done! up cheers

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 07:48 PM

stir

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter

What's the world coming to?

Guy and Garret you guys must have lost your mind giving up those private spots, both you guy's are nuts, both of you are in store for a lot of disappointment and frustration.

Public hunting sucks!

a weaker individual might be frustrated or disappointed, but an expert gunner like myself will get it done...if you aint hunting public, then you aint hunting up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 08:09 PM

Get ready to have 4 hunts ruined for one good hunt. Public makes me frustrated more than anything and I hunt to get away from frustration.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 08:12 PM

like I said, public is only for the good hunters, it can be tough on those that are below the curve

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 10:27 PM

like I said, public is only for the good hunters, it can be tough on those that are below the curve

Keep it up and Judd will get on here and give you a severe internet thrashing...
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/25/15 10:39 PM

Might even get Wal on one of those hunts.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/26/15 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Damn

Damn
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/26/15 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Heisman25g
Nope, public sucks.

Agreed. Too many idiots- rather sit in lodge/ cabin, drink wine and eat filets- get up hr before LST- not have to see 6 redneck duck commander idiots who can't call or shoot

public BLOWS

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/26/15 08:06 PM

Public is the bees knees. If you think it blows you're doing it wrong.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/26/15 08:08 PM

Problem is you can't filter the IDIOTS around you. Do understand there a vast amounts of water in Tx that are Virgin to many hunters- when I didn't own my own places I put work in and had / still have 4-5 holes PRIVATE inside hour of house to hunt- still hunt couple of them.

If I am hunting big water- my big is 15-25 acre private water.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/26/15 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler

Problem is you can't filter the IDIOTS around you. Do understand there a vast amounts of water in Tx that are Virgin to many hunters- when I didn't own my own places I put work in and had / still have 4-5 holes PRIVATE inside hour of house to hunt- still hunt couple of them.

Idiot factor must be played, like I said it takes an enormous amount of skill and work, I understand its not for everyone
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 02:54 AM

You'll regret it, public is the worst!!!!!

In texas it kind of is. To me there is just not enough public acerage compared to other states up north.
Thats all. Crowd + lack of public pkaces = stress
Having said this, i had some memorable public hunts, just getting too old for this in Texas. Other States, perfectly OK
Posted By: Judd

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 04:03 AM

Keep it up and Judd will get on here and give you a severe internet thrashing...

Naw, it's alright Guy...I won't because just like hunting public, you can't fix stupid and I don't have the patience nor time for it.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 04:12 AM

Idiot factor must be played, like I said it takes an enormous amount of skill and work, I understand its not for everyone

You guys taking notes? This one will be on the test.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 07:42 AM

Get ready to have 4 hunts ruined for one good hunt. Public makes me frustrated more than anything and I hunt to get away from frustration.

I've had hunts where other hunters or hunters in our party were claimers, too impatient, shot prematurely, sky busted birds working call/spread, called excessively or like crap, set up too close, shot my dekes/mojos, etc. I wouldn't say they ruined my hunts, but it def made the hunts much more challenging and much less satisfying. Needless to say, it's not very common but it does happen.

An example would be a hunt last season where Hogman and I were hammering the birds hard, we had birds coming into our spread, dropping in our faces, flying right by our heads, basically non stop for well over an hour. We were sitting in a spot quite a ways from everyone else with hunters around us about 200 yards out. We had gotten there after a large group of hunters had set up in their spots, with tons of dekes, chairs, a heater, the works. We had to walk by the them to get to our spot which was a difficult hike thru flooded timber without lights to prevent anyone seeing where we were going.

During the hunt we noticed a second group of hunters that had arrived late and had moved from their original spot to within a 100 feet of where we were sitting. They sky busted darn near every bird that flew anywhere near us or working our dekes and spooked birds with their calling. Hogman made a comment that the guys were sky busting birds out of spite just to keep them out of our spread. I was like nah, I know them, and someone would have to be a jackass to pull some [censored] like that. I sat and watched for a few minutes and I'll be darned if he wasn't right. By that time the calling had gotten to the point it was rediculous so I hollered (nicely) to stop calling and what do they do? Start the craziest calling you can get out of duck call, non-stop.

Sad part was I knew some of the guys and the kids father. I'd found one of the fellas wallet in the parking area the week before and contacted him and returned it and he knew it was me that was doing the shooting. And the other group, I knew one of those guys as well. He'd texted me during the hunt and made a comment about Hogman and shooting so much we were spooking all the birds and that they were there first and we were shooting "their" birds. Keep in mind we were no where near their spot and were easily a couple hundred yards away. Had they scouted, they'd have known that spot gets a ton of pressure from hunters as it's easy to get to. The spot Hogman and I hunted required a long walk lights out thru mud in waist deep water littered with fallen timber and stump holes. It was a hard haul, but well worth it. But they wanted the easy hunt. And that's what they got.

Nope, public sucks.

Agreed. Too many idiots- rather sit in lodge/ cabin, drink wine and eat filets- get up hr before LST- not have to see 6 redneck duck commander idiots who can't call or shoot

I can do the same on an Xbox.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 08:16 AM

fwiw..... If you hunt waterfowl or bird watch both the USFW and TPWD uses volunteers to assist avian biologists in conducting waterfowl research out in the field. You'll learn more about waterfowl after a few years doing field studies than a lifetime spent hunting.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 11:27 AM

That was a nice hunt. Wish I could have been a better shot that day

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 02:55 PM

Not a very intelligent comment- i don't need to hunt public- don't care if u see more birds. We have seen less than 20-30 in a day and scratched out several limits- regularly on private.

Obviously, not doing it wrong.

If you have the resources, why play golf at a public course when u can screen all the riffraff and go to the club.

I don't believe either is better or worst- matter of preference, value of time, and ability to lease or own- which differs to everyone.

I have had same discussions of Private vs public school for kids. Pretty much same conclusion
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 03:33 PM

I congratulate you guys on your hardcoreness and your ability to pat your on backside
Posted By: bermise

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 04:05 PM

No one hunts public for the challenge. It's all for financial reasons.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: bermise

Please explain.... Im pretty sure that if Guy had put the money he used for his boat towards a lease he could be on a pretty good one. The thing with a waterfowl lease is you can't hunt it every day. Public your options are virtually endless.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 04:51 PM

Not a very intelligent comment- i don't need to hunt public- don't care if u see more birds. We have seen less than 20-30 in a day and scratched out several limits- regularly on private.

If you have the resources, why play golf at a public course when u can screen all the riffraff and go to the club.

I don't believe either is better or worst- matter of preference, value of time, and ability to lease or own- which differs to everyone.

I have had same discussions of Private vs public school for kids. Pretty much same conclusion

Hook, line, and sinker. Mr. Intelligence up lol and comparing duck hunting to kids education because that makes a lot of sense

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 04:54 PM

If you can't hunt your lease every day you either have the wrong lease or you are doing it wrong

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 05:51 PM

lol...... That's rediculous.

I know public hunters that own cars that I'd be willing to bet are worth more than your net worth.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 05:59 PM

Rediculous
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 06:01 PM

Are you saying only poor folks hunt public?
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 06:13 PM

The only way public would be appealing is if you had the time to scout and hunt weekdays. The amount of water you could hunt and the ability to hunt different places sounds really good. If you are like me and have young kids and a job then public doesn't really offer much.

With my schedule I probably could be successful on public but with a young family it just wouldn't work. It's not really an option for me anyway because there is very little public water to hunt around here.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
The only way public would be appealing is if you had the time to scout and hunt weekdays. The amount of water you could hunt and the ability to hunt different places sounds really good. If you are like me and have young kids and a job then public doesn't really offer much.

With my schedule I probably could be successful on public but with a young family it just wouldn't work. It's not really an option for me anyway because there is very little public water to hunt around here.

Now that makes sense

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 08:07 PM

popcorn

Well said!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 08:11 PM

Now that makes sense

Yes, basically time factor....this has been discussed in different words- and just not willing to put up w skyblastin rednecks. This link is much better than watching cowboy game today.....beat down

Guy is obviously a purest and serious about his waterfowl hunting. I respect the fact that he gave up his lease and is willing to put in time/ effort and challenge of seeking successful hunts- which can be defined differently by many-

But, for most of us- as we get older- I would rather spend time on the social aspects of bird hunting Plus having successful hunts. I have shot 1000's of dove and ducks, hundreds of wild pheasant and quail- not as blood hungry as I used to be. Would rather lease or acquire land- using knowledge on moist soil management, planting food plots, and decoy strategies- to maximize enjoyment per hunt.

I have posted fairly consistently on this forum for 20+ years- I would say as far as success as measured by number of birds- talking about North Texas ONLY- without a doubt- I would say Sucessful PRIVATE hunts outnumber PUBLIC by AT LEAST 2:1

There are a few folks out here- that don't fit the "norm" and will shoot large numbers of birds (if available) regardless were they hunt because of Knowledge, work, time spent scouting/ etc

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 08:36 PM

Hook, line, and sinker. Mr. Intelligence up lol and comparing duck hunting to kids education because that makes a lot of sense

actually, Einstein, I was comparing Public to Private. Have a good reading comprehension tutor I can recommend to you- PM me
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 08:42 PM

Hunted quite a bit of both, nothing beats the ease and timeliness of a good lease. Also, nothing much beats the reward of scouting, putting in the walk, and having a good shoot on pressured public spots. Don't pretend because you hunt private you are any better than the redneck a$$ bandits you complain about on public. And don't assume because someone hunts public they can't afford, or don't have enough sophistication for a nice lease.
Posted By: 68A

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 08:43 PM

Not true at all, I have leases and hunt public. I enjoy big water challenge, and rarely leave empty handed on public. Had some quality hunts on public that were over in an hour.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 09:43 PM

Thanks for sharing the memories.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 10:01 PM

actually, Einstein, I was comparing Public to Private. Have a good reading comprehension tutor I can recommend to you- PM me

Ok genius. My first statement was a joke. Maybe you couldn't comprehend that... Might want to give that person a call.

Still comparing public/private hunting to public/private schools. Not a lot to compare there
Posted By: Moto382

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 10:23 PM

It's funny everyone complains about public hunting and all jackholes out there!! Go try and hunt the refuges in CA if you want to see some real idiots!!! All I hunt is public and no has ever helped me, all my spots I hunt I've found and scouted myself and rarely don't get a limit! If I don't limit its not because of lack of birds it's because I sucked shooting that day!! I don't have any issues with public hunting I think it's awesome to put in the work!!! Some guys don't like the long walk in but I do it's my workout!! I lose about 15-20lbs during the season which isn't a bad thing.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/27/15 11:11 PM

The whole challenge of hunting public is scouting and finding spots off the beaten path so that you can avoid the "idiots." If you have the time to scout every week, or can't afford a lease, then public is a great option. You can be covered in birds on a public lake if you put in the time and find the right spot. However, I hunt private almost exclusively because the convenience and peace of mind is worth the money IMO. I know every time I get up to go hunt that nobody else will be set up on the spot I want, and the birds haven't been shot at since I hunted last. To me that's worth every cent I spend for my leases.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
The whole challenge of hunting public is scouting and finding spots off the beaten path so that you can avoid the "idiots." If you have the time to scout every week, or can't afford a lease, then public is a great option. You can be covered in birds on a public lake if you put in the time and find the right spot. However, I hunt private almost exclusively because the convenience and peace of mind is worth the money IMO. I know every time I get up to go hunt that nobody else will be set up on the spot I want, and the birds haven't been shot at since I hunted last. To me that's worth every cent I spend for my leases.

Well said-interesting how sensitive folks are about this subject- bottom line- Do What Makes You Happy- for whatever reason!!! If it's the A- Holes u want to avoid or hunt YOUR PLACE, YOUR BLIND, YOUR property- owned or leased- that's great- if u get satisfaction scouting and walking 1/2 mile in the muck to get to your public haven- good for you as well.

Public Duck hunting in Texas- or let's say, north Texas- overall- SUCKS

It's the idiots out there that don't respect the sport that ruin it for others- and I am not willing to risk any of my hunts - consider my time too precious.
Posted By: Moto382

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 12:30 AM

Ya North Texas public hunting sucks....

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 12:51 AM

public in tejas 14 hrs prior to opening day

eeks333

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Moto382

You must be poor if you hunt public, at least that's the conclusion reached by some

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 01:08 AM

Hey Greekangler, when you are saying the public in N Tex sucks what are you comparing it to? I understand and receive your points, just want to know what your comparison was

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
Hey Greekangler, when you are saying the public in N Tex sucks what are you comparing it to? I understand and receive your points, just want to know what your comparison was

i am not talking about success rates of a proven waterfowler- merely referring to the odds of encounters with other hunters in area possibly ruining a hunt. Also, getting out there at 3-4am is not my cup of tee. I typically hunt 45 minutes to an hour from home- usually go up the night before- hunt until 7:30-9:30- make sausage and eggs for my guests- and back home by 11 to noon- or logged on to computer during work week by 9:30 if hunting solo.

As I have said- I prefer a private atmosphere amongst friends and dogs- typically only hunt my properties or private bodies of water for those reasons. I could harvest more birds consistently if hunted both private and public- but not for me

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 02:33 AM

I have posted fairly consistently on this forum for 20+ years

Has this place been around that long?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 02:41 AM

Holy [censored] it's 2024!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 02:41 AM

i am not talking about success rates of a proven waterfowler- merely referring to the odds of encounters with other hunters in area possibly ruining a hunt. Also, getting out there at 3-4am is not my cup of tee. I typically hunt 45 minutes to an hour from home- usually go up the night before- hunt until 7:30-9:30- make sausage and eggs for my guests- and back home by 11 to noon- or logged on to computer during work week by 9:30 if hunting solo.

As I have said- I prefer a private atmosphere amongst friends and dogs- typically only hunt my properties or private bodies of water for those reasons. I could harvest more birds consistently if hunted both private and public- but not for me

Understood, there are a fair share of not so smart people out there on public. I've just found that where I want to be.. they don't grin

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
Holy [censored] it's 2024!

Brain fart- registered member since 04 is 10 not twenty- u get the point

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 01:37 PM

For some this can be true, if you walk in hunt and you don't scout. I got 50 hrs on my gatortrax, I bet 40 to 45 of those hrs are scouting. That was last season I put all those hrs on it. Hunted my lease on half my hunts last year, if I wanted to be economical about it I would have hunted my lease 100% of the time.

I will say if I had the money to blow I would keep the lease as a "nice" thing to have, but I would rather be on public, even on the weekends. Last year I hunted my lease because I felt like I had to, to get my money's worth. I'm happy to be out of it now.
Posted By: Centurion78

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 02:08 PM

I have hunted the same Public area for 36 years. There has been many changes to the area. Some bad some good. Every season is a new learning curve. If you can adjust your game you will have some great hunts. Yes I am Poor.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 02:17 PM

It is all about where you live.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 03:57 PM

These threads are ridiculous. You know what makes you a good duck hunter?? Binoculars!!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 04:16 PM

thats true, all expert public hunters have good binoculars up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: stxhunter
Looks like you had a great time out there! Good luck for the rest of the season.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 10:14 PM

yup, typical

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/28/15 11:53 PM

Yeah, if you hear this sound don't shoot.

http://youtu.be/b1y_U4s6jfs

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 12:54 AM

I'm far from poor (no matter how hard my kids try to make me) If I owned a boat and water dog I would hunt public.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 01:08 AM

I am so Glad the season is close. It is finally getting heated up in here.

I hunt both. My lease doesn't get nasty with mallards until the near end of season. We are so far south we don't get numbers like up north. Once we shoot we have to let the pond rest. So we hunt public also.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 01:39 AM

I hunt both. It is nice to hear people gripe about no birds on public and knowing you limit out almost every trip. I do admit it is relaxing at the lease not having 20 people who bought a duck call the night before blowing it all morning.
Posted By: Charlito

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:00 AM

Guy, you have lost your mind. I think you like the long walks into the dark instead of shooting Ducks. Driving a mud boat around a public lake doesn't make you a real ducker hunter...
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Charlito
Guy, you have lost your mind. I think you like the long walks into the dark instead of shooting Ducks. Driving a mud boat around a public lake doesn't make you a real ducker hunter...

So just because he makes long walks into the dark means he doesn't shoot ducks? And having a mud boat definitely doesn't make you a real duck hunter but it does give you a massive edge over the people that don't.....and this is coming from someone with an outboard motor.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:05 AM

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:09 AM

Cinch man, you should keep to what you pretend to know. Just because you started duck hunting last season doesn't make you an expert.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 09:33 AM

That's true, experts inherit productive tanks. While occasionally beating their own chest, they are just slick enough to let other people do it for them.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 10:44 AM

No personal attacks Dave

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 11:42 AM

Cinch man, you should keep to what you pretend to know. Just because you started duck hunting last season doesn't make you an expert.

Anthony you crack up, you have never found anything on your own.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 12:45 PM

I think you lost your mind, Anthony. I never said anything about what it takes to be a "real duck hunter" use of that term is pretty stupid realy. I just made a thread about letting my lease go, private water hunting does not do it for me any more, and shared few pics. Garrett is successfully trolling the private water hunters which I find funny.

But private water hunting is more about the killing, and very little (if any) about the chase. And I do enjoy the chase more than the killing.

Webster: hunt

verb

: to chase and kill (wild animals) for food or pleasure

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 12:52 PM

Guy I wish you the best in your pursuit and exploration of the open waters of public land.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 01:11 PM

It doesn't take an expert to know that a mud boat is 10x more useful when duck hunting than any other boat. And he only thing you know how to do is shoot when Jeff Elder tells you to.

If you want me to stick to what I do know, we can go over to the upland section and talk about how many more birds I shoot than you do on every single trip we go pheasant hunting........

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: CinchMan

It doesn't take an expert to know that a mud boat is 10x more useful when duck hunting than any other boat. And he only thing you know how to do is shoot when Jeff Elder tells you to.

If you want me to stick to what I do know, we can go over to the upland section and talk about how many more birds I shoot than you do on every single trip we go pheasant hunting........

thats a ridiculous statement, and clearly shows your age and mentality, let me guess, early 20's?. I have had mud motors and outboards, I will take an outboard 9 times out of 10. Only time I would consider a mud rig is if i was hunting a lot at the coast, and even then I would rather spring for an airboat.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 01:41 PM

thats a ridiculous statement, and clearly shows your age and mentality, let me guess, early 20's?. I have had mud motors and outboards, I will take an outboard 9 times out of 10. Only time I would consider a mud rig is if i was hunting a lot at the coast, and even then I would rather spring for an airboat.

Not early 20s. I just turned 27 and I'm sensitive about it because now I'm staring down the barrel of 30. I have an outboard myself. 16x52 weld craft with a 60HP Johnson. For duck hunting I wish I had a mud boat but if you could explain to me why you'd rather have an outboard motor I'd really appreciate it because maybe it would help me to like mine more. Haha. Now keep in mind lake levels were low last year and mud boats could get in to quite a few more places than I could, with lake levels up maybe I'll change my mind, but I am interested to hear why you'd take an outboard over a mud boat if you were using it strictly for duck hunting.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:26 PM

Garret's favorite part about being an old man now is making fun of younger ones

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I am so Glad the season is close. It is finally getting heated up in here.

I hunt both. My lease doesn't get nasty with mallards until the near end of season. We are so far south we don't get numbers like up north. Once we shoot we have to let the pond rest. So we hunt public also.

It has gotten quite salty up in here.

If we ever get any rain I'll be hunting both. Mostly private on weekends, public a couple times during the week. I see the beauty in both, but I gotta admit the feeling of a strap full of ducks on public water anywhere close to where I live is hard to beat. I do get pretty fired up if somebody comes and tries to setup right on me though, that part alone makes private worthwhile.
Posted By: kdub

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:33 PM

Oooohhhh. Haha hahaa. This thread is getting goooood.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

what I am really looking forward to is being real old, those real old guys can say whatever they want with no repercussions, its just excused because they are old up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:44 PM

All of yall bashing public, just keep to your private tanks, more room for the rest of us out there. I hunted private all of teal season, mostly because I don't like sending my dog through the lake that I know has lots of cotton mouths when it's this hot, or walking in with rattlesnakes. When it's cold I'll be back on public most of the time, more fun that way for me.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
All of yall bashing public, just keep to your private tanks, more room for the rest of us out there.

That's a point that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet. Anyone who has hunted big water knows how much more fun and challenging it is. It is also fun to hunt a tank and have a lot of ducks fall in on you in close quarters but you loose the fun of watching big numbers and getting to watch them work. Luckily our private tank/lake is 35-75 acres depending on water level. It's big enough that the ducks have other options besides your spread.

I do also enjoy hunting smaller tanks especially during the weekdays. It's easier on my dog and quicker setup and take down.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 02:58 PM

Public hunting is hard work. Finding spots to get away from the crowds and hammer birds ain't easy. Some folks just like it easy. Nothing against hunting a private tank, I just wouldn't rely on it personally. And I definitely wouldn't rely on others to make my duck hunts happen. Where's the satisfaction in that?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:01 PM

what I am really looking forward to is being real old, those real old guys can say whatever they want with no repercussions, its just excused because they are old up

I'm not upset at all. I'm just curious why you think that outboards are better for public duck hunting. As someone who has an outboard I'd like to know what you think makes them better. It'll help us younger guys look at the bright side. up
Posted By: Gacman

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:04 PM

Guess what I found hunting on a public lake last year?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub
Public hunting is hard work. Finding spots to get away from the crowds and hammer birds ain't easy. Some folks just like it easy. Nothing against hunting a private tank, I just wouldn't rely on it personally. And I definitely wouldn't rely on others to make my duck hunts happen. Where's the satisfaction in that?

Bingo

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:09 PM

For those joining late...Cliff notes version:

Guy shared memories of his son and himself on duck lease. Then proceeded to thump his chest about how he is now a real duck hunter because he's 100% public.

Others got on and agreed and acted superior

Then private hunters say only reason someone would hunt public is because their poor. (Trying to one up the public hunters)

It was then discovered that the lease whore Garrett has dropped a foal and is BROKE...now he is stating how great public hunting is.

Supposedly it was recently discovered that an outboard is better than a mud motor and an airboat is better than those two.

Public is hard and private is easy and depending on others for your hunt shouldn't be satisfactory.

There might've been a richard measuring contest in there somewhere but I missed it.

Finally one of the old wise men showed their wisdom and said simmer down fellas season is right around the corner.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:13 PM

clap clap clap

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:15 PM

clap clap clap

THIS^^^^

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:16 PM

Public is like watching the cowboys play

Too much drama
Posted By: TXPride

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Public is like watching the cowboys play

Too much drama

Kind of like seeing your posts...a lot of times I just shake my head, and sometimes (like this most recent quote) you score a touchdown. up

When it comes to private vs. Public, I'll gladly mooch and hunt private if I'm invited. Otherwise I'll stick with the "poor" folks and take advantage of free water.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:27 PM

Not early 20s. I just turned 27 and I'm sensitive about it because now I'm staring down the barrel of 30. I have an outboard myself. 16x52 weld craft with a 60HP Johnson. For duck hunting I wish I had a mud boat but if you could explain to me why you'd rather have an outboard motor I'd really appreciate it because maybe it would help me to like mine more. Haha. Now keep in mind lake levels were low last year and mud boats could get in to quite a few more places than I could, with lake levels up maybe I'll change my mind, but I am interested to hear why you'd take an outboard over a mud boat if you were using it strictly for duck hunting. [/quote]

I won't ever buy another mud boat. I have owned longtails and surface drives. The mud boats are just designed for one specific thing and horribly inefficient for the rest of my boating needs. They are just not worth it especially when you can only get 22ish MPH empty. If you stick with your 2 stroke and just learn to hunt with it you will be miles ahead of the game. I wish I had my money back from what I spent trying to find the perfect mud boat and motor. In the picture that started this thread is what I would consdider the best combo a man can have. River, lakes or bay is no problem for that boat. If it is a tunnel hull and jack plate then there is no reason it can run across 6 inches of water. I don't need to run that shallow any longer. I will just go around or go somewhere else.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:33 PM

I'm not upset at all. I'm just curious why you think that outboards are better for public duck hunting. As someone who has an outboard I'd like to know what you think makes them better. It'll help us younger guys look at the bright side. up

didnt mean to leave ya hanging...I like outboards for their speed, comfort, big water crossing and versatility. Mud boats are great for muddy flats and decent in stump fields, but even in stumps not a must, an outboard can perform just as well. lets face it, unless your on the coast the worse your dealing with is stumps most of the time. I would venture to say that 85% of mud boat owners dont even know how to drive them, and dont get anywhere an outboard cant get

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:42 PM

The river here is the only place that an outboard would struggle around me, the reason I put the little mud motor on my boat. That and for the coast, since my little boat obviously has no tunnel.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:43 PM

10 years ago a mud rig was a huge advantage. They're everywhere now, so I just find good places where they won't be.

If I didn't like to fish I might have a different opinion. There are also not many places around here I can't go thanks to knowing the creek channels.

So this thread has it all!

Public vs Private
Outboard vs Mud motor
Guided vs Real man's hunt
Posted By: Centurion78

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
10 years ago a mud rig was a huge advantage. They're everywhere now, so I just find good places where they won't be.

This ^^^^^

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 04:03 PM

didnt mean to leave ya hanging...I like outboards for their speed, comfort, big water crossing and versatility. Mud boats are great for muddy flats and decent in stump fields, but even in stumps not a must, an outboard can perform just as well. lets face it, unless your on the coast the worse your dealing with is stumps most of the time. I would venture to say that 85% of mud boat owners dont even know how to drive them, and dont get anywhere an outboard cant get

I agree with the speed, big water crossing (especially with 15mph+ winds). It just gets old pushing outboards into shallower water, which is where I personally found more ducks last year, and the fact that mud motors props can handle a lot more wear and tear than an outboard prop/skeg seems to be able to handle. I'm harder on my boat than most, so me personally, I'd probably do better with a mud rig just because of my tendency to want to take my outboard where it probably shouldn't be going. Other than the driver of each boat, to me, there's just as much comfort on a mud rig. But then again my only experience was last year, now that the lakes are up maybe I'll find it a lot easier this year.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 04:58 PM

Can you just put a mud motor prop on an outboard? Sorry I am one of the ultra poor who not only hunts public but WALKS!
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 05:01 PM

On hard bottom lakes an outboard should be able to get about anywhere a mud boat can, in the mud/silt/stumps is where a mud boat earns its keep. i have had some of my best hunts within view of the boat ramp where others have to "get to the back" so they are away from all the other hunters. In reality all the hunters are in the back together. No place is inaccessible on public.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 05:17 PM

I'm waiting for a Victor to be named in this thread. Private V public so I can decide if I should go buy a new mud boat, or put 5k down on a lease.

So keep on going.

What's the best decoys calls waders shotgun and shells?

I'm new to duck hunting. Figure if I can shoot a squirrel from a tree I can shoot a duck.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 05:22 PM

Public

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 05:38 PM

Public

Both

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

blackcloud #2's in 3-1/2"

the must have shotgun is a SBE II, all others are rookie guns up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 05:57 PM

blackcloud #2's in 3-1/2"

the must have shotgun is a SBE II, all others are rookie guns up

You forgot duck commander call and face paint

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:01 PM

duck commander calls suck, only half way decent thing they make is a whistle

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:06 PM

That's why he grouped them with the SBE II and blackcloud #2 3-1/2" shells

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:07 PM

I'm waiting for a Victor to be named in this thread. Private V public so I can decide if I should go buy a new mud boat, or put 5k down on a lease.

So keep on going...

Men tees: public

Woman's tees: private

Hope that helps.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:08 PM

rofl

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:10 PM

dont you have a pontoon boat to sink? geez

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:27 PM

dont you have a pontoon boat to sink? geez

Hoping to sink it Thursday or Saturday. cheers

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:51 PM

Fact:Judd hunts private.

The end

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 06:56 PM

The end

Judd money is what it takes for private

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 07:42 PM

Judd has too much stress in his life to deal with poverty stricken folks who are unappreciative and jealous of others success grin

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 08:08 PM

Public is for broke real man driving a beat up chevy and chew hidden in their beards

Private is for skinny jeans city slickers using electric shavers and 3 discovery credit cards

Zimbabwe for dentists hunting something BIG since they have to concentrate at a 0.1 square inch all day at work

Argentina for Doctors and Lawyers hunting with your retainer fees as down payment

Nough said

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 08:12 PM

Public is for real man

Private is for skinny jeans city slickers using electric shavers

Nough said

I bet their skinny jeans don't bunch up under their waders, though.
Posted By: john paul

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 08:35 PM

I'd be willing to bet the private stuff I hunt is as difficult as hunting a lot of the public stuff around here. Minus having to wait in line for 24 hours to be the first one through the refuge gates.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
I'd be willing to bet the private stuff I hunt is as difficult as hunting a lot of the public stuff around here. Minus having to wait in line for 24 hours to be the first one through the refuge gates.

Pretty much

I have seen "people" camping in front of an Apple store for 2 days just to SEE the iphone 6 plus whatnot.

Puts a new perspective for what our troops are fighting for...

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 10:06 PM

The end

Judd money is what it takes for private

Ain't you supposed to be sending me plans and pictures of that white trash smoker you've got?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 10:08 PM

It's been a busy day, I'll get you fixed up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 10:29 PM

[quote=Charlito]

But private water hunting is more about the killing, and very little (if any) about the chase. And I do enjoy the chase more than the killing.

Webster: hunt

verb

: to chase and kill (wild animals) for food or pleasure

You know better than that- if u own or have 2-4 leases- not only is there times were birds are limited- but you hunt X property and mist maximize the birds you draw in- which can be a small number quite often- covering territory- if that is how you define chase- understand - but you are ALWAYs on the chase- unless hunting fenced or released birds

If you can handle 75% Amateurs, 10% good hunters, and 15% Rec Neck Outlaw Idiots- hunt public

I have a 3/4 acre hole near a PUBLIC slough near lake X that is LOADED with ducks- regardless of duck numbers in area. It's always good for a few limits every year. That goodness for Skybustas near by. You heR guns go off ant typically 2-3 minutes later you see ducks in the air, feet down. Awesome

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul

The difficulty/challenge with public is beating Barney. The adventure with public is the variety of hunting areas.
Posted By: SmashNDash

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/29/15 11:51 PM

This is probably not the correct topic to post, but since we are talking public - what is the correct distance you should stay away from another hunter. I have hunted dove on public a few times and everyone seems to be extremely nice about distance and such. Usually keep 30 to 50 yards away from other hunters. Last year, attempted duck hunting several times and just didn't go we'll at all. Seems everyone has issues if you get even 50 yards from them. 50 yards seems a long ways? Dove hunters seem not to have issues. Just curious. Really wanting to get into duck hunting this year.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SmashNDash
This is probably not the correct topic to post, but since we are talking public - what is the correct distance you should stay away from another hunter. I have hunted dove on public a few times and everyone seems to be extremely nice about distance and such. Usually keep 30 to 50 yards away from other hunters. Last year, attempted duck hunting several times and just didn't go we'll at all. Seems everyone has issues if you get even 50 yards from them. 50 yards seems a long ways? Dove hunters seem not to have issues. Just curious. Really wanting to get into duck hunting this year.

50 yards is way to close. Some people have trouble with this but I try and stay a minimum 100 yards away but I really don't even like being that close. I'll make a lot of extra effort to get 200 yards if I can.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 12:40 AM

Few 100 minimum. Then the idiots can push birds to u- across flat/ cove out of sight best

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 12:42 AM

If you set up 50 yds from me I'd have my dog retrieve your decoys 1 at a time

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 12:53 AM

If you set up 50 yds from me I'd have my dog retrieve your decoys 1 at a time
roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 01:00 AM

And this is why I don't hunt public. Its awful, there's nothing fun about having your hunt ruined. You guys have at it.

Like playing cards with my sisters kids

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 01:30 AM

And this is why I don't hunt public. Its awful, there's nothing fun about having your hunt ruined. You guys have at it.

It sure is. I am done w this idiotic thread. MOST people- don't really care or believe the comments- would rather hunt private 10:1- a good private hole or two is hard to find that's consistiant and takes lots of work: ie planting, moist soil etc- so the folks talking about "the chase" is absolute BS. Part of the chase is preparation the 9 months before and after the season.

Go look at Habitat Flats website- that's a bit extreme, but the theme is the same

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 01:49 AM

Word

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:00 AM

It sure is. I am done w this idiotic thread. MOST people- don't really care or believe the comments- would rather hunt private 10:1- a good private hole or two is hard to find that's consistiant and takes lots of work: ie planting, moist soil etc- so the folks talking about "the chase" is absolute BS. Part of the chase is preparation the 9 months before and after the season.

Go look at Habitat Flats website- that's a bit extreme, but the theme is the same

Interesting take on the situation after you contributed 13 post to the "idiotic" thread, just saying. elmer

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:14 AM

Public

The chase

Team skybasta

Still looking for mo bros

Meeting at twin peaks on nov 6th at 6pm departure

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:15 AM

Lol. I just want to see how many pages this thing goes till season gets here.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:20 AM

While we are on the subject, everyone post what lake they hunt on, and what boat ramp or walk in area they use on said lake. grin

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:21 AM

Lol. I just want to see how many pages this thing goes till season gets here.

It will go forever till some drunk throws the F bomb

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: texassippi
While we are on the subject, everyone post what lake they hunt on, and what boat ramp or walk in area they use on said lake. grin

Lake arrowbobvinelivingston

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:26 AM

Man someone sure does need validation that its ok that they hunt private.
Planting to bait ducks to your private hole is about as much fun as feeding deer year round and being able to shoot them from 400 yards away with a high powered scope and rifle.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:31 AM

Not BS'n Greek, dead serious with my comments. Ok, well I will admit I'm messing with the private water hunters a bit, but what I say is true. The only thing that interests me with private water hunting is the habitat management side of it.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:44 AM

The same ducks fly private or public confused2

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:55 AM

up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 03:10 AM

Same ducks but public is 1) a bigger playing field and 2) compitition (Barney)

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 03:41 AM

Planting to bait ducks to your private hole is about as much fun as feeding deer year round and being able to shoot them from 400 yards away with a high powered scope and rifle.

You're really bad at deer hunting

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 03:42 AM

Those Japanese ruin hunting for everyone with their high quality scopes at reasonable prices and that dang jap millet!

Shooting a rifle??? Hunting ducks over food??? You ain't a real hunter unless you bury yourself in the mud at a watering hole with a sharp stick and wait.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:04 AM

Now your going to tell me deer hunting with a gun is hard? Laughable.

Duck vs Deer translation-
Public=bow hunting
Private over planted bait=high fence

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:09 AM

Public=bow hunting

[censored] just got real!

You somehow managed to bring the HF nonsense to the migratory section.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:13 AM

#HiFenceDuckLover

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:13 AM

Naw, this is better:

Low fence = public
High fence = private

That's the best analogy...

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:18 AM

So what if I'm anti high fence but pro private duck hunting?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:50 AM

Public=bow hunting

This guy has to be trolling lol
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 11:22 AM

Nice for public I guess. I'll stay private.

stir rofl

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:32 PM

Naw, this is better:

Low fence = public
High fence = private

That's the best analogy...

Since you put it that way...maybe this is all about the cash flow stir
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 02:40 PM

PUBLIC...it's not for sissies.
Btw Guy, notice the outboard and stump strewn area.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller

wait, you can duck hunt with an outboard? thats crazy talk, you got lucky that day, good sir roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:04 PM

I only fish in international water. Anyone who doesn't isnt a real fisherman. Fishing bays and lakes is like high fence deer hunting or shooting ducks on tanks.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
I only fish in international water. Anyone who doesn't isnt a real fisherman. Fishing bays and lakes is like high fence deer hunting or shooting ducks on tanks.

but do you use the devils tackle or a fly rod?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:37 PM

So I guess you wouldn't approve of me catching bass on a trot line? I also eat them especially the big females.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 04:54 PM

all 12 pages get 2 up up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 05:08 PM

Cane pole. Anything else is for rich people.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 05:52 PM

So I guess you wouldn't approve of me catching bass on a trot line? I also eat them especially the big females.

Roll them in crushed pringles potato chips and fry them big beaches!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 05:53 PM

I hear similar arguments with my fishing buddy's. Fly vs modern tackle. Each is different, has it's own pro's/con's, and a matter of personal preference. Doesn't make either one wrong or right.

I have free access to a significant amount of private land in the central and Western flyways, and have plenty of private and public places to hunt. I hunt a lot, I have a ton of spots a short drive from the house, I get bored hunting the same way and the same holes. I like the change of scenery. Hence my preference for pub. Doesn't mean I won't hunt private and only hunt pub exclusively, there are times when the birds just aren't there due to pressure or other factors. My private spots are all near big water and I use them when I need too.

My opinion of armchair hunts out of a cozy heated blind are irrelevant to other hunters as are my preferences in women, cars, and food. I may not enjoy someone else's idea of a satisfying hunting experience, but it's irrelevant. As is arguing the point or getting butt sore over a difference of opinion. All that really matters is if you enjoy it.

Personally, I wish more hunters disliked hunting public. Too many barneys as it is. Then again, we were all barneys when we first started hunting ducks. If you want to hunt duck you gotta start somewhere and pub is relatively inexpensive and accessible. You can't fault a man who has no mentor and is trying to learn it on his own, and you can teach hunting skills and etiquette. Unfortunately, you can't teach common sense. Therein lies the dilemma hunting pub.

Some men prefer petite pale brunettes, some tall tanned blondes. If it's your preference and rocks your boat, it don't really matter what anyone else thinks about it. As long as it ain't h0m0. Then we got a prob.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
I hear similar arguments with my fishing buddy's. Fly vs modern tackle. Each is different, has it's own pro's/con's, and a matter of personal preference. Doesn't make either one wrong or right.

Some men prefer petite pale brunettes, some tall tanned blondes. If it's your preference and rocks your boat, it don't really matter what anyone else thinks about it. As long as it ain't h0m0. Then we got a prob.

I have free access to a significant amount of private land in the central and Western flyways, and have plenty of private and public places to hunt. I hunt a lot, I have a ton of spots a short drive from the house, I get bored hunting the same way and the same holes. I like the change of scenery. Hence my preference for pub. Doesn't mean I won't hunt private and only hunt pub exclusively, there are times when the birds just aren't there due to pressure or other factors. My private spots are all near big water and I use them when I need too.

My opinion of armchair hunts out of a cozy heated blind are irrelevant to other hunters as are my preferences in women, cars, and food. I may not enjoy someone else's idea of a satisfying hunting experience, but it's irrelevant. As is arguing the point or getting butt sore over a difference of opinion. All that really matters is if you enjoy it.

Personally, I wish more hunters disliked hunting public. Too many barneys as it is.

Oh great! Now we're throwing logic on this thread. How's that going to work?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 06:27 PM

I feel for the ducks, they are the ones getting sliced regardless of public or private

confused2

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 06:43 PM

Seriously if you aren't fishing international waters then your a Barney and might as well stay off my ocean
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 06:56 PM

I've learned so much from this thread.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 06:59 PM

Seriously if you aren't fishing international waters then your a Barney and might as well stay off my ocean

Pffft salt water? What's the challenge in that? Those fish have never seen people or artificial baits, you're basically catching stupid fish. In a lake now that's the challenge, all the other people messing stuff up, and the fish have seen every trick in the book. They get smarter with lots of pressure, everybody knows that...I thought.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 07:22 PM

try fly fishing on a frozen public lake in Minnesota at -57 F windchill with 60 mph east wind

now that's a true outdoors man

all the rest are a bunch of sissies

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 10:03 PM

Listen, fishing is for guys in sandals and shiny shirts that don't hunt and public is for amateurs shooting 870's and SBE's.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 09/30/15 11:06 PM

try fly fishing on a frozen public lake in Minnesota at -57 F windchill with 60 mph east wind.
now that's a true outdoors man

all the rest are a bunch of sissies

You forgot the part about sitting in a lazy boy in a heated shack with all the accoutrements of home, I.e. grill, xBox, stove, satellite tv, mini fridge, Internet access, and fully stocked bar. That's not an outdoors man, that's an outdoors metro.

A true outdoors man spearfishes frozen public lakes. With no beard. Naked.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 12:52 AM

Fishing w barbed hooks and live bait is for amateurs.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 01:25 AM

Well you need to take me out some time in your rig and show me how you do it, just don't let me drive it, I would hit every stump.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 01:31 AM

Listen, fishing is for guys in sandals and shiny shirts that don't hunt and public is for amateurs shooting 870's and SBE's.

Sandals and shiny shirts got me roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 01:52 AM

Still deciding. Continue please.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 02:00 AM

If it doesn't have a stick on its nose its a trash fish btw, unless it's a tarpon and only a tarpon caught in international waters at that. Any tarpon caught in the bay is just pond popping
Posted By: A.B.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 02:11 AM

Well schit....... That's me in a nutshell

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 01:23 PM

Well you need to take me out some time in your rig and show me how you do it, just don't let me drive it, I would hit every stump.

You got it Guy. No cell phones and ya gotta wear a blindfold.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 01:29 PM

Well I recognize that spot you posted, so we can just go there. cheers

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 01:59 PM

Well I recognize that spot you posted, so we can just go there. cheers

It's private, I'm a sissy cool

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/01/15 03:32 PM

Nice dog up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 01:48 AM

Bump

Still trying to decide.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 02:24 PM

TTT

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 02:31 PM

with that attitude you must hunt private, huh?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 03:34 PM

I make Judds coffee and carry his dog to the blind. That way it does not track mud into the blind.

He allows me to shoot every other hunt or so.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 03:40 PM

this Judd guy sounds like a real butthole up
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 03:43 PM

I make Judds coffee and carry his dog to the blind. That way it does not track mud into the blind.

You duck hunt about as much as Judd. That's for sure! up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 03:43 PM

this Judd guy sounds like a real butthole up

You have to ask yourself, butthole or belly button. A butthole does serve a purpose confused2

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 03:55 PM

I would say if you have butt bigger than Judd, go private, smaller butt go public, hope this helps.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

Look here fat boy. That's bs and you know it.

This year Judds days over the decoys will likely out number mine by many. With a fresh one on the ground any day now my days will be few.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 05:32 PM

The mud tracking is more important in the truck than the blind...mine rides in the passenger seat because it's heated and I wouldn't want her to get cold. rofl

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 05:55 PM

Look here fat boy. That's bs and you know it.

This year Judds days over the decoys will likely out number mine by many. With a fresh one on the ground any day now my days will be few.

all I hear is.........

blah blah blah I'm a pinoche blah blah blah
Posted By: kweber

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 07:51 PM

hunted pub once... Guadalupe Delt...
shovelheads and coots...
I'll hunt friends Colo. Co rice fields/ponds from now on...
Posted By: TXPride

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 08:02 PM

This still going?

Let's be honest...

People hunt private because they can't (skill) hunt public.

And people hunt public because they cant (funds/network) hunt private.

grin

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 08:17 PM

What if you do both?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
What if you do both?

That makes tranny hunter, just can't make up your mind

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 08:54 PM

#BiPursuer
#SwingsBothWays

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 08:55 PM

#1 Big private reservoirs
#2 Public Lakes
#3 Small private tanks

With large private soil conservation lakes or other large bodies of water you get the best of both worlds. You get lots of birds and the satisfaction of watching them work and getting them to come into your spread, you don't have to worry about anyone else.

Small private tanks while fun don't take much skill. I still like to hunt smaller tanks sometimes but over all enjoy hunting the larger bodies of water.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 09:19 PM

Big private reservoirs = divers....talk about low class trash hunting.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Haha. Hey! We shoot just as many spoonies as you public guys!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 09:28 PM

Haha. Hey! We shoot just as many spoonies as you public guys!

But to tell the truth while we do shoot our fair share of divers we shoot just as many gaddies, wigeon and teal. We also shoot some pintail but not as much and hardly any mallards but that's just because of location.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/02/15 10:29 PM

Remember

If you choice not to decide you still have made a choice.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/03/15 02:22 PM

Remember

Did you choice to skip school a lot? partyon555

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/03/15 05:34 PM

You should try hunting the other end of it Judd
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/04/15 01:03 AM

I just read all 15 pages of this thread. This has gotta be one of the single most entertaining threads I've ever read on a hunting or fishing forum ever

FYI, yall are doing it wrong. Long tail, fan, outboard...real men use paddle power

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/04/15 01:46 AM

I've been known to paddle the ole mud boat through the stumps before.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/04/15 04:18 AM

You're not a real duck hunter until you use a float tube to get across the lake. Who needs a motor of any kind

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/04/15 06:08 AM

I've been up a river on a boogie board before.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/04/15 11:59 AM

I've been up a creek without a paddle before...much younger whistle

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/05/15 06:53 PM

Ttt
Posted By: muddyz

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/05/15 07:33 PM

Remember

Okay now that was funny

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/05/15 07:43 PM

PM sent

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/05/15 10:37 PM

Garrett stop.

Jerk

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/05/15 10:41 PM

Remember

You mean choiced? Past tense duh.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/05/15 11:17 PM

Garrett stop.

Jerk

lol35

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/05/15 11:28 PM

Garrett stop.

Jerk

I didn't really send one, this time clap
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/06/15 12:35 PM

grin
Posted By: EastTxBlake

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/06/15 03:31 PM

I use my prodrive for everything fishing, running jugs, limb lines hunting etc. and I have no problems heck we even tube behind it.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/08/15 07:16 PM

Well I think I've figured it out.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/08/15 07:17 PM

what did you decide?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/09/15 01:08 AM

I've decided to stick to squirrel hunting and catfishing. Gonna change my name ratncat.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/09/15 12:09 PM

Sweet so I can grab those full bodies from threecurl then?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/09/15 01:22 PM

He sold them before I got to then I guess.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 05:45 PM

Spent the morning scouting some holes, found some sprigs a some green wings

#publickiller

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 05:57 PM

I'm setting up my tent Thursday camping on the opening day x.
#hardcore

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 06:34 PM

I've already been camping for a couple weeks

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 08:01 PM

It doesn't take an expert to know that a mud boat is 10x more useful when duck hunting than any other boat.

If you're hauling a crew, hunting big water or covering a lot of water nothing beats a boat. Personally, I hunt solo the majority of the time and I hunt certain spots on a number of lakes that for various reasons I don't care to share. I've found that a good set of waders and scouting works well though I have come close to having a 911 moment on a few occasions. And I've been stranded in a duck boat on an E Texas lake for 2 days so it goes both ways.

Will I do it when I'm 65? Probably not, but for me the chase and scouting is half the fun, even if it makes the hunts a little harder.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 08:22 PM

I thought you were 65

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 09:01 PM

I've been stranded in a duck boat on an E Texas lake for 2 days

I'd like to hear that story.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 09:28 PM

I've been stranded in a duck boat on an E Texas lake for 2 days

I'd like to hear that story.

Late 70's, Caddo lake. Mosquitos,

I'd have traded my left nut for a bottle of Off.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/10/15 09:43 PM

The details are astounding. roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/12/15 12:22 PM

I've already been camping for a couple weeks

Dangit
I was hoping we'd get a little rain and you'd get one more cut...

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 01:55 AM

Bump

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 01:32 PM

scouting hard this weekend, if you clowns wanna out hunt me you better get to work

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 02:21 PM

started scouting in July junior

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 02:48 PM

You know if you guys would hunt private you wouldn't have to do as much scouting.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 03:17 PM

You know if you guys would hunt private you wouldn't have to do as much scouting.

and it wouldn't be as rewarding, pick your poison, and mine is public hunting, if you can hunt public sucessfully day in and day out you are at the pinnacle of your game up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 04:00 PM

and it wouldn't be as rewarding, pick your poison, and mine is public hunting, if you can hunt public sucessfully day in and day out you are at the pinnacle of your game up

Doesn't count if you throw out fake corn though.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 04:06 PM

UV light doesnt reflect off fake corn like it does real corn, therefore the fake corn is only made to lure the hunter not the hunted

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 04:18 PM

Nothing more rewarding than fooling a crafty old mallard into your spread with some fake corn. Those public lake mallards are just very hard to fool these days.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 04:53 PM

I've been naming the local mallards at my lake the last several weeks. Hoping to have Todd, Kyle, and Tucker for dinner opening night. I know where their house is

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 05:20 PM

I learned the wonder bread secrets to attracting park ducks and geese from Mr Jeff Foiles himself. Ya'll can't compete with that.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 05:47 PM

I've decided to use a sling shot this year instead of a shotgun in order to make it more challenging. I guess I've just moved past the killing stage, even though I'm sure I'll still murder the [censored] out of them.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 06:05 PM

Nothing more rewarding than fooling a crafty old mallard into your spread with some fake corn. Those public lake mallards are just very hard to fool these days.

Funny FUnny Funny

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/21/15 07:20 PM

The great thing about private is that as long as you're wearing this year's camo (for this year's ducks) you can just show up about 20 minutes before legal, throw some blocks and sit down. I believe that makes it more gentlemanly.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/22/15 10:47 PM

Nearly 100% public all my life. We averaged about 4 birds per hunter last year in 31 hunts. Scout or pout!
Also helps to have a big crazy guy who will have a marsh fight at 4am when a group tries to set up 100yds from ya! boxing
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 02:16 AM

You must be poor if you hunt public, at least that's the conclusion reached by some

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. My last public hunt required shipping a 25' boat to rural AK
[/URL
Filled full of really heavy and expensive gear
[URL=http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/brazosboyt/media/alaska%20duck%20hunt%202013/1F8C7054-ADCD-42FC-8D43-86878F460A28-1711-000000DFB999630D.jpg.html]

Along with custom painted decoys

4 plane tickets....and low budget food

And we didn't even kill limits....
m

And we had to fight off native Americans, sea lions, and bald eagles-which I have a picture of a dead one that I might post...,

Must not have those mad skills you speak of. But is was definitely more rewarding than getting up 45 min before lst, walking down gravel paths to our pits and shooting limits of large brained- Wiley and elusive wild fowl.....

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 02:27 AM

[censored], I just got Brazos'd

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 02:35 AM

Oh, and these pictures are from 2013 and I used them for validation in a thread today. Would t want to mislead anyone.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 02:38 AM

clap

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Oh, and these pictures are from 2013 and I used them for validation in a thread today. Would t want to mislead anyone.

time stamp on pictures verifies this statement up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 02:12 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. My last public hunt required shipping a 25' boat to rural AK
[/URL
Filled full of really heavy and expensive gear
[URL=http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/brazosboyt/media/alaska%20duck%20hunt%202013/1F8C7054-ADCD-42FC-8D43-86878F460A28-1711-000000DFB999630D.jpg.html]

Along with custom painted decoys

4 plane tickets....and low budget food

And we didn't even kill limits....
m

And we had to fight off native Americans, sea lions, and bald eagles-which I have a picture of a dead one that I might post...,

Must not have those mad skills you speak of. But is was definitely more rewarding than getting up 45 min before lst, walking down gravel paths to our pits and shooting limits of large brained- Wiley and elusive wild fowl.....

All that for trash ducks. Smh

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 06:19 PM

Listen sport- that one with the yeller knot on it's nose is the best eating there is. Period!!! They feed on clams and are better than a good steak!!!!

These eat pretty much all snails and are t quite as good but are as good as any of our puddle ducks. They all make a turd.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 06:26 PM

paper plate? come on, your better than that clap

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 06:44 PM

Sport?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 07:06 PM

paper plate? come on, your better than that clap

Ain't nobody got time for doing dishes on a hardcore pub-lick hunt.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 07:07 PM

Yep that's clearly Uncle Ben's instant rice.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Sport?

That's right chief.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 07:42 PM

I'm starting to like this new side of Brazos

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 07:43 PM

Listen sport- that one with the yeller knot on it's nose is the best eating there is. Period!!! They feed on clams and are better than a good steak!!!!

These eat pretty much all snails and are t quite as good but are as good as any of our puddle ducks. They all make a turd.

This is definitely on my bucket list. Purdiest bird out there imho

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 08:23 PM

Yep that's clearly Uncle Ben's instant rice.

And a $4 box of wine for the red wine peppercorn reduction. Jack!!!
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 08:38 PM

Great pictures, don't know about the acronyms. Love Alaska

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 08:47 PM

Sport?

I think sport is equivalent to grasshopper.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 08:54 PM

I absolutely love them. They are my favorite bird in hand. I told myself I would mount every one I shoot since Your allowed 4/yr as a non-resident of AK. I've been up there 5 x and to WA state once. I've shot 21. Have mounted 9 and have the other skins prepped and frozen. Gonna do a big wall rock scene.

Homage to the harli.

Extensive blind building required. Dang my brothers ugly.

We hunted one remote island in 09 that literally had 1000s of them. They were substantially larger birds probably due to age. I've seen banded ones that were 18-20 years old.

They were about the size of a wigeon. Not bad for pub-lick huh?

The WA birds are smaller but still cool. More pub-lick. Geez, I'm starting to think I've got some of those skills garret speaks of?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 08:59 PM

Whoa just one sec. Caribou season hasn't started yet

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 09:03 PM

so did you ship your own boat up there?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/23/15 09:15 PM

No bfd, prolly flew in with some teal.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/24/15 12:11 AM

No bfd, prolly flew in with some teal.

You might need to spell that out for hayraker.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/24/15 12:23 AM

Would love to get a harli and long-tail mounted together someday.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/24/15 01:11 AM

Yes. We shipped a boat up and left it for 2 years on one island. Duck hunted in the winter and fished in the summer.

We shipped it back last summer and are working on logistics of some new places to go.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/24/15 01:33 AM

I've heard you like to band check em.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/24/15 06:44 AM

Brazosboyt, you feel free to post as many pics as you want. I could look at pics of harlis all day, not to mention all the other AK fish & critters. Some day...

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/25/15 10:27 PM

Braved the rains and the storms and was rewarded greatly for my hard work...spoonie hole located ole son

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/25/15 10:34 PM

Pow pow

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/25/15 11:08 PM

Your moms a wigeon

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/25/15 11:24 PM

Lifted trucks and shooting green head ducks

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/26/15 12:22 AM

Suck ups.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 10/26/15 02:41 PM

#ontothenextone

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/06/15 05:04 PM

found a couple of holes holding 'em this morning, got me a plan A and a plan B...getting back to my roots of camping in the boat, boys

#backtomyroots

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/06/15 05:57 PM

found a couple of holes holding 'em this morning, got me a plan A and a plan B...getting back to my roots of camping in the boat, boys

#backtomyroots

So I'm not the only one hah. Figured out I can use the dog stand between the benches in my jon boat to make a sleeping bag platform.
#longnight#shinerbock

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/06/15 06:05 PM

I'm cheating in the morning and hunting private. The lake has a whole lotta nothing for bird numbers

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/06/15 06:36 PM

#backtomyroots

I forgot ya had a free boat, that changes everything

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/06/15 06:59 PM

It's the best way to own a boat

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/06/15 07:23 PM

Yes. We shipped a boat up and left it for 2 years on one island. Duck hunted in the winter and fished in the summer.

We shipped it back last summer and are working on logistics of some new places to go.

I thought I went all out when it comes to hunting and fishing. I couldn't even carry your lunch bucket! I have to hand it to you, you ain't a slacker by any stretch of the imagination.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/07/15 12:09 AM

Pp
I absolutely love them. They are my favorite bird in hand. I told myself I would mount every one I shoot since Your allowed 4/yr as a non-resident of AK. I've been up there 5 x and to WA state once. I've shot 21. Have mounted 9 and have the other skins prepped and frozen. Gonna do a big wall rock scene.

Homage to the harli.

Extensive blind building required. Dang my brothers ugly.

We hunted one remote island in 09 that literally had 1000s of them. They were substantially larger birds probably due to age. I've seen banded ones that were 18-20 years old.

They were about the size of a wigeon. Not bad for pub-lick huh?

The WA birds are smaller but still cool. More pub-lick. Geez, I'm starting to think I've got some of those skills garret speaks of?

Your brother looks like what someone stuffed Frank Caliendo into waders and took him hunting.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 03:26 PM

Played some poker on Saturday and drew a flush, had to pass on some sprigs and gray ducks but holding off paid off

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 03:28 PM

Sunday I decided to double down

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 03:29 PM

Played some poker on Saturday and drew a flush, had to pass on some sprigs and gray ducks but holding off paid off

That's my kind of strap right there

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 03:54 PM

I'd rather be in bed than shoot that mess....congrats trashman.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 03:55 PM

Fat Nancies and Jacks. clap

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 03:56 PM

spoonie is a puddle duck just like a mallard you jackwagon

and I understand that its trendy to hate divers but set up on a good diver hunt once and you'd have a blast, and maybe stop worrying about what others thought about your hunting skills up
Posted By: Navasot

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 03:58 PM

and I understand that its trendy to hate divers but set up on a good diver hunt once and you'd have a blast, and maybe stop worrying about what others thought about your hunting skills up

lol those divers might make him look bad... not very hard to hit a big fat mallard peep

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 04:11 PM

You have no shame, garrett.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 04:14 PM

no kidding, like shooting a floating fat bastard mallard is hard to do at 20 yards clap

it amazes me how snobby folks get just because its the thing to do

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 04:19 PM

I like the way you took the time to put the suzie spoons on a lanyard. That takes onions....... clap

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 05:03 PM

good shoot, public joe garrett

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 05:25 PM

roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 05:58 PM

I missed a couple of those trashy mallards this morning. Got to keep them out of my spread.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 06:01 PM

I missed a couple of those trashy mallards this morning. Got to keep them out of my spread.

Has Garrett sent you a PM yet.......Oh he will.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 06:09 PM

Until you go to clean them and realize you really made a mistake...only diver I'll shoot from here on out is if someone else is going to clean them OR I want one to put on the wall.

Spoonbills are the big girls of the waterfowl world...they are fun to kill but you don't want your buddies seeing you do it rofl I'll pass and keep my dignity and standards higher than those of a billygoat wink

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 06:42 PM

Garret those are the ugliest straps I've seen in some time.

Congrats

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 07:16 PM

Until you go to clean them and realize you really made a mistake...only diver I'll shoot from here on out is if someone else is going to clean them OR I want one to put on the wall.

Spoonbills are the big girls of the waterfowl world...they are fun to kill but you don't want your buddies seeing you do it rofl I'll pass and keep my dignity and standards higher than those of a billygoat wink

roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 07:21 PM

roflmao

So your high maintenance, like to shop around, and worried about fashion of your strap...

scratch whos the big girl?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 07:29 PM

I like big butts I can not lie.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 07:35 PM

Growing up my buddies referred to big gals as slump busters roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 07:41 PM

suey

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 08:13 PM

when your good enough to call your shot ahead of time and shoot 6 of a specific species call me...and who said I cleaned those jacks?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 09:23 PM

when your good enough to call your shot ahead of time and shoot 6 of a specific species call me...and who said I cleaned those jacks?

You better hope a GW doesn't read this mister. aim

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 09:33 PM

its not illegal for me to not clean ducks, they were all harvested within legal means and methods

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

roflmao

So your high maintenance, like to shop around, and worried about fashion of your strap...

scratch whos the big girl?

I feel bad having to explain this but it's not the big girls who are high maintenance wink That was G's wheelhouse back in the day rofl

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 10:12 PM

..and who said I cleaned those jacks?[/quote]

spoken like a true public hunter- Get'em all boys!!

My philosophy is if I don't eat it- I will not shoot it- funny what maturity and how good hunts with great dog work and friends changes ones attitude

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 10:36 PM

..and who said I cleaned those jacks?

My philosophy is if I don't eat it- I will not shoot it- funny what maturity and how good hunts with great dog work and friends changes ones attitude [/quote]

You should stop on your way home and pick up a sense of humor jackass.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 10:42 PM

My philosophy is if I don't eat it- I will not shoot it- funny what maturity and how good hunts with great dog work and friends changes ones attitude [/quote]

lots of assumptions in that post, Apollo...spoken like a true pompous private hunter

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 11:05 PM

9 out of the 10 ducks Judd has shot in his lifetime were mallards.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 11:21 PM

rofl NICE rofl

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/10/15 11:35 PM

7 out of 10 ducks Judd has shot in his lifetime were suzies

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 04:59 AM

My philosophy is if I don't eat it- I will not shoot it. [/quote]

Same way, never understood killing just for the sake of killing. I did some trapping a while back but the purpose was selling pelts. My folks commercial pecan orchards in Navarro Co were overran with squirrels when the trees started making nuts. They'd rape those trees of pecans causing a significant financial loss. He told me to figure it out, so I set traps scattered around the old growth trees and Tore their butts up.

I'd run 100+ small tleg hold traps every day, sitting on little plywood ledges on the trunk of the trees with the trap nailed to the tree with bailing wire. Those old trees, hundreds of them, huge, old growth natives, I'd check the trap, there'd be a squirrel, the moment he saw me they would flip out trying toget away, would try to jump in your face off that tree, bite, whatever it to to get away. I trapped, what, probably thousands over the years. And I'd dispatch the little monsters with a Louisville slugger baseball bat so I wouldn't have to spend money on 22 rounds.

Never failed, that squirrel would struggle to get away for a few seconds then try to jump off the tree, I'd hiit a home run on him, then toss him in the back of the truck. Didn't realize it at the time but beating the hell out of hundreds or thousands of small furry animals made needless killing distasteful for me and I've never hunted varmints since.. Fortunately, squirrels are tasty and good eating. My old man grew up in the depression, he had a way of cleaning squirrels quick and easy in one in a minute flat so I didn't mind dressing out a couple hundreds, me and my old man, chewing the fat and skinning squirrels.

If one of your hunting buddies blasted 15 coots without remorse every time you hunted, said he liked to kill animals just for the sake of killing, the thrill, whatever. You wouldn't think much of him.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 05:14 AM

They all taste the same in a pot of gumbo. I don't have any problem shooting a few trash ducks to go in the gumbo stash.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 02:38 PM

Here is the best way to cook ringers... I did this for haraker, because I know he loves my step-by-step recipes...

Step 1: Breast ringer, get skin off, this is the hardest part.

Step 2: Put plastic bag on breast, and smash it with rubber mallet, then cut up real good with a knife, this will help to digest ringer.

Step 3: Put mixture in a bowl..

Step 4: Add 1 cup of dried dog food..

Step 5: Mix well, and watch them go crazy over it.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 03:04 PM

rofl I'm dying here Guy....that was AWESOME!!!!!! rofl

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 03:27 PM

Judd wouldn't even let his mutt eat a ringer. SMDH!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 04:09 PM

Poor Molly......... grin

I see her howling, she knows the drill. clap

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 04:30 PM

Good point...just like she's gonna ride in the passenger seat if we get to hunt this year rofl

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 04:34 PM

Good lawd, Guy! Lab farts are bad enough already!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 06:36 PM

Good point...just like she's gonna ride in the passenger seat if we get to hunt this year rofl

Sooooooooooo, you're saying there's a chance???????? banana2 banana2 banana2

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 06:38 PM

Sooooooooooo, you're saying there's a chance???????? banana2 banana2 banana2

Like winning the lottery BW

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 06:39 PM

rofl y'all are a mess....

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/11/15 08:06 PM

Has Garrett sent you a PM yet.......Oh he will.

I wasn't talking about those big lipped beauties so he won't be interested.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 03:08 PM

straight mallard strap on public this weekend boys up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 03:43 PM

worthless

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 04:10 PM

worthless

actually this comment is not true without pics laugh

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 04:28 PM

Smiling mallards I'm sure...

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 04:33 PM

Nope. Straight Mallard, I was there.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 04:36 PM

nobody said "straight mallard" was not code for "single suzie" laugh

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
nobody said "straight mallard" was not code for "single suzie" laugh

That was just the start......

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 04:41 PM

Was suzie lost or something? I guess she got caught in that north wind.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 04:48 PM

having a problem getting the picture to upload...I'll get it, you public haters just calm down for a bit

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 08:14 PM

Well g. Where it at?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 08:22 PM

Here is the best way to cook ringers... I did this for haraker, because I know he loves my step-by-step recipes...

Step 2: Put plastic bag on breast, and smash it with rubber mallet, then cut up real good with a knife, this will help to digest ringer.

Awesome!

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 08:57 PM

Still waiting Garrett...

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 09:19 PM

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 09:39 PM

Straight mallard strap..... rofl

She was tasty. food

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 10:06 PM

That looks like a judd hunt

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 10:45 PM

Cyrena would approve of that non eventful hunt

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 10:49 PM

Ignore the token vegan.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 10:56 PM

I don't shoot hens...dead hens don't lay eggs.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/23/15 11:01 PM

Regular Aldo Leopold

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 12:13 AM

For the Health of the Land.....Is education possibly a process of trading awareness for things of lesser worth? The goose who trades his is soon a pile of feathers.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 12:52 AM

I don't shoot hens...dead hens don't lay eggs.

Judd, just for you I am going to dedicate a hunt this weekend to hens only

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 02:51 PM

My philosophy is if I don't eat it- I will not shoot it- funny what maturity and how good hunts with great dog work and friends changes ones attitude

lots of assumptions in that post, Apollo...spoken like a true pompous private hunter[/quote]

Total sarcasm- you didn't see my post opening day - Han Solo 100% jacks. Waited, waited, waited... ....that was on private

lots of assumptions in that post, Apollo...spoken like a true pompous private hunter[/quote]

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 02:56 PM

[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/FishingGuy/Molly/IMG_2632_zpsd1fe65bf.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/FishingGuy/Molly/IMG_2636_zps75676412.jpg[/img]

Outstanding post- why I avoid shooting darn things- if skin came off easier- I wouldn't have a problem- now canvasbacks and red heads are actually very good eating- I give ringers away- have buddies that will clean and add them to gumbo- typically the "mistaken" teal coming into spread right at LST

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 03:00 PM

mistake a jack for a teal? no wonder you hunt private

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 03:25 PM

figured someone would take the bait

Since I own 2/3 of the private land I hunt, and develop my wetlands- I would say that would make sense in leu of hunting next to sky busting idiots and getting up at 3:15am to beat some random red neck to the honey hole on lake X.......I know bla bla bla, everyone here who hunts public has "secret hole" that they have never seen another gun on........ I get it bro

To each his own

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 03:29 PM

Bro

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 03:43 PM

Broseph

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 03:44 PM

Broseph

Broseph Stalin

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 04:50 PM

Since I own 2/3 of the private land I hunt, and develop my wetlands- I would say that would make sense in leu of hunting next to sky busting idiots and getting up at 3:15am to beat some random red neck to the honey hole on lake X.......I know bla bla bla, everyone here who hunts public has "secret hole" that they have never seen another gun on........ I get it bro

To each his own

DRINK!!!

not sure what being a land baron has to do with ID'ing a jack from a teal

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 05:06 PM

Broseph

Broseph Stalin

Bro Nameth

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 05:31 PM

[quote=garrett]mistake a jack for a teal? no wonder you hunt private

not sure what being a land baron has to do with ID'ing a jack from a teal

Let me spell it out for you- Reading Comprehension 101- it was a joke-

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 05:38 PM

its not a reading comprehension issue, its a sarcasm issue...the emoji-cons help to insert reflection and tone to a post up

cheers

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 11/24/15 05:49 PM

check hammer

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/09/15 02:48 PM

you boys ready for another opener on public?

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/09/15 02:55 PM

you boys ready for another opener on public?

Let her rip

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/09/15 02:59 PM

I never knew season ever closed.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/09/15 03:23 PM

dang you Ogle roflmao

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/09/15 03:24 PM

Peasants

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/09/15 04:33 PM

Ol Mark is a regular old PLJ

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/10/15 08:47 PM

Bump
Posted By: Yardboy

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/11/15 09:36 PM

Hey Guy, any ducks in that mud flat you hunt on Cooper? I guess I could go out there and look for myself but given the state of our society, I feel entitled to know for free.

Check yes or no
Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/12/15 11:53 AM

I didn't hunt public until I moved to Texas. I hunted private land 100% of the time at home in Louisiana but the only draw back to that was I don't think I ever killed anything else besides wood ducks until I moved here and went public. So far mallards, GWT, gadwall, and coots when I get bored on the public hunt. I may see you @ Cooper in the second segment.......I've already got a lot of vacation lined up for the mid week hunt.....

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/13/15 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Yardboy
Hey Guy, any ducks in that mud flat you hunt on Cooper? I guess I could go out there and look for myself but given the state of our society, I feel entitled to know for free.

Check yes or no

Mud flat? Note to self, yardboy a dip stick.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 12/13/15 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Yardboy

Check yes or no

Mud flat? Note to self, yardboy a dip stick.

Was going to post the ole popcorn earlier.....figured it was sarcasm. WOW

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/11/17 10:36 PM

dont worry boys, I am doing great smashing birds on public...to all of you saying there are no birds, GET OFF THE INTERNET AND SCOUT!!!

go public or dont go at all up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/11/17 11:26 PM

dont worry boys, I am doing great smashing birds on public...to all of you saying there are no birds, GET OFF THE INTERNET AND SCOUT!!!

up

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/12/17 04:44 AM

Happy Birthday

Are you a kept man yet? You're running out of time.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/12/17 07:52 PM

Happy Birthday

you know, I gave up on those ways a while back...it came to in a dream, like a revelation. No man worth his salt would let someone else pay his way in life, so as long as I have a pair looks like I'll be a working man.

hard to respect a man that doesnt pull his weight, guess thats why I look down on private hunters clap

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/13/17 07:35 PM

Happy Birthday

you know, I gave up on those ways a while back...it came to in a dream, like a revelation. No man worth his salt would let someone else pay his way in life, so as long as I have a pair looks like I'll be a working man.

hard to respect a man that doesnt pull his weight, guess thats why I look down on private hunters clap

Keep on revelating.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/13/17 09:11 PM

I didn't read all 27 pages but I just want to add that public land is the big leagues of duck hunting. All the nay Sayers just can't handle it. It takes more time/ work and knowledge. Those who understand ducks both where they want to be and how to call them will do well. Those who don't will say what they say.

It's lots of fun when it all comes together. It's just not for everyone.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/14/17 01:43 AM

up

Amen

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/14/17 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
I didn't read all 27 pages but I just want to add that public land is the big leagues of duck hunting. All the nay Sayers just can't handle it. It takes more time/ work and knowledge. Those who understand ducks both where they want to be and how to call them will do well. Those who don't will say what they say.

Disagree totally.

More time work knowledge. No way- you obviously haven't managed several properties for water control, moist soil etc. it's a 365 day job

sure scouting and finding birds takes time- but owning/ managing multiple properties and being successful is a difficult task.

Were they want to be and calling are totally unrelated. Your create the right food and water mix- calling is for duck commander. A whistle and feeding mallard or drake call is about all we ever use.

The rest is for entertainment.
Posted By: BDB

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/14/17 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Wacm

Disagree totally.

More time work knowledge. No way- you obviously haven't managed several properties for water control, moist soil etc. it's a 365 day job

sure scouting and finding birds takes time- but owning/ managing multiple properties and being successful is a difficult task.

Were they want to be and calling are totally unrelated. Your create the right food and water mix- calling is for duck commander. A whistle and feeding mallard or drake call is about all we ever use.

The rest is for entertainment.

I guess it depends if your the property manager/owner....or the client.

I'll say this...if you have a boat and time to scout finding ducks ....if their in the area is not that complicated. Its just time consuming.

Re: 100% Public hunter now... - 01/16/17 01:52 AM

I love reading the private guys posts about growing some plants and turning the water on to flood clap

Short and simple, it takes a darn good duck hunter to stay consistent on public...limit on private? Meh Limit on public, you did something right
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum