Texas Hunting Forum

Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back

Posted By: wal1809

Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/12/15 01:19 AM

Thank goodness I took it to a shop. I never would have got it working. Long story short, missing parts in the lower unit. Now I can really move forward.

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/12/15 10:18 AM

I got a little time. When I bought the new lower unit and had it shipped, it was then I found out it was a 4 stroke lower for a merc 60. Mine is a 2 stroke. I was ticked. In looking at them they looked the same. The only difference was the power shaft was 6 inches longer on the 4 stroke. The boat shop guy said he would just switch them. So I did.

Fast forward to me trying to hook all the cables and linkages ect. I invented 21 new cuss words. I am extremely prideful and can't stand another man fixing something I couldn't fix. I'd rather get kicked In the face by a donkey.

Well fortunately I took it in. The lower was missing a spring and two ball type bearings. I don't remember seeing these when I tore into the unit.

So Ducktoon is fully functional. A river test is in order Sunday evening. The nearest water is 40 minutes away on the Colorado in Altair, TX. We going to see if this sucker even floats.

A couple full days and This project will be completed. That is if it floats Sunday.

A few years ago we had a real rainy early season hat put several lake 's way out of their banks. GR Elliot I can't wait to use this boat for situations just like the last time.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/12/15 01:11 PM

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/12/15 01:51 PM

Me too. I need to find another dude with a boat handy just in case. I don't like headed out without a back up plan.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/12/15 03:13 PM

Im only 5 hours away. Just tread water till I can get there.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/13/15 03:06 PM

How did it work out?
Posted By: oilag

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/13/15 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
How did it work out?

x2????
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/16/15 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: oilag
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
How did it work out?

x2????

X3??? I see that the light bars work just fine!

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/17/15 10:49 AM

I was a wienie and decided against going. Either me or my wife has to stay with my mother in law because she has dimensia. So I would have had to take both of them along. I could see nothing but a disaster written all over that. There is time and when I can get another boat to go with me then I will test it out.

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/17/15 12:03 PM

My registration is out.. otherwise I'd come give you a hand. It's on my to-do list and if I can get that taken care of anytime soon I'll let you know!

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/17/15 01:57 PM

That is another thing I need to get the registration transferred to me.

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/17/15 02:54 PM

Any idea what that costs? Mine has been in the previous owner's name and I never got around to switching it over.. now it's expired

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/17/15 02:56 PM

The registration isn't bad, it is the sales tax of the boat that will dig in your wallet. I am not sure the costs. Mine has another problem and that is no title has ever been issued. I have an affidavit from the owner so that will allow me to get it titled in Texas. They really need to change the boat title difficulties.

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/17/15 03:33 PM

Yea, thats the #1 thing from what I hear.. I read somewhere that its next to impossible getting a rig like that registered. Mine was good from the time I bought it a little over a year ago until this past July so I never really made it a priority. Now I'm stuck with an expired registration that's never been transfered! Do have the title and all the paperwork including bill of sale.
Posted By: muddyz

Re: Finally got the pontoon ducktoon back - 09/17/15 05:25 PM

Had to go to two different places for the boat and a trailer title transfers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum