Texas Hunting Forum

Duck hunting waders question

Posted By: bull279

Duck hunting waders question - 09/11/15 04:40 PM

This will be my first year for duck hunting and I will need waders to retrieve the birds. What suggestions for an inexpensive set of waders do you suggest? There is no way to get a boat where I will be hunting, and my dog hates the water (so much for a lab/german shepherd mix for a retriever). So I am basically stuck wading out there. Thanks.
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/11/15 04:54 PM

Academy has some nice ones that aren't going to break you.

but check into Cabelas and keep an eye out for their sales. you may find a $25 or 10% off coupon that will work.
Posted By: GoBears870

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/11/15 04:59 PM

Also an extendable decoy retriever poll might be useful if you have any deep water that your birds could drift into

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/11/15 05:12 PM

I am not sure how deep the pond is, it is in the crook of a creek. The creek isn't much deeper than 3 feet anywhere else on the property, so I am hoping that the pond will be about the same depth. I had thought about a swimming pool hook, but the retriever tool looks like a good tool. I will also check Academy next time I am over there. I might be able to get away with hip waders, but was nervous bout stepping into deep water and chilling the nether regions.
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/11/15 06:15 PM

This weekend is Cabelas Camo sale

Besides waders

What all do duck hunters need?
Posted By: HuntCrafted

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/11/15 06:41 PM

I was in the same boat last year (or lack their of!) and got a set of the Academy waders - 3.5mm. Hunted with them all Fall in Texas and was able to tack on a goose hunt in Maryland when I was there for work. Maryland hunt was around 15 degrees and waders worked great. Even had a guy try to buy them off me. I offered to trade for his SBE but no dice!

The ones I got are $159.99 on the site and I got them last Oct on sale for $99. They are 4.4 stars on the site and over 30 ratings. My only negative feedback would be the exterior seam on the pleated area above the boot started to fray. I just slapped some wader glue on there and haven't had an issue.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/11/15 07:12 PM

This time of year, you may want to consider breathable waders. You're asking for a heat stroke wearing neoprene in warm weather.

Pants and ankle high shoes tall enough to keep from getting sucked off your feet work well too. You'll get wet, but it's duck hunting. It's ok to get wet.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/12/15 12:03 AM

I would carry a fishing pole with a top water lure as well. Check the ground in the water, make sure it's not that soupy mud that'll get you stuck, especially if you're gonna be out there by yourself. There's also a duck/decoy retriever you can make out of pvc and some rope, or someone sells a pre manufactured version, forget who though.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/12/15 01:22 AM

Dwadr
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/12/15 01:51 AM

68A is right had a moment last year where I thought I was a gonner with soft soupy mud then falling in. Shook me up real good. I use an 18' telescopic pole we use for pulling wire from Greenlee but I'm sure there are other brands similar.
Posted By: TxTall1

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/12/15 02:19 AM

I like those 3mm waders from Academy

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/12/15 04:05 AM

I'll be going through Waco Sunday, I will hit Academy and Cabelas then. Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/12/15 04:40 AM

What every you buy, keep some dry clothes, and a towel, in your vehicle at all times. Waders are not easy to walk in, it takes practice. I use a walking stick to check the water ahead of me, and for balance. If it is in your budget, also getting a pair of hip boots would be handy. For small repairs, RTV sealant works well. For large repairs, bicycle tube repair kits work great. Be very careful in any creek. The depth varies, and there tends to be more sticks, brush etc.

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/14/15 03:57 AM

I made it by Academy today and got a pair of PVC waders for $49.99 and they were in my shoe size (13) so I will try them out, if I can get a few ducks this year, I will see about upgrading to some better ones next year or when I wear these out. I will get a pole in the near future. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: reedaggie10

Re: Duck hunting question - 09/14/15 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A
I would carry a fishing pole with a top water lure as well.

I thought I was the only one that used this technique for duck retrieval lol. Makes a very slow hunt more interesting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum