Texas Hunting Forum

Are you HIP certified?

Posted By: reeltexan

Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 02:15 PM

I bought my licenses online as I have for years.
In the past, I was prompted in that process to answer the Harvest Information questions, therefore being Certified.

This year, no prompt.

Now I look at my license and it says "HIP Certification Required"
What?
If it's required then the license should not have printed, right?

What is going on?
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 02:18 PM

You are only asked the questions if you click the box indicating you want it. It's not that hard really.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 02:21 PM

You should have gone to Walmart. They HIP certify you without asking any questions.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 02:21 PM

But, you're right. They should just ask everyone the questions that selects the migratory endorsement
Posted By: garrett

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

In the past, I was prompted in that process to answer the Harvest Information questions, therefore being Certified.

This year, no prompt.

What?

What is going on?

I bought 4 licenses online this year and was prompted every time...you did something wrong, but its not to late to fix your heathen ways up
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: stinkbelly
You should have gone to Walmart. They HIP certify you without asking any questions.

Not here in Greenville. The girl at the Wal-Mart here in normally very good but this year she got frazzled and forgot to ask me. Then she had to go do a re-print to show that I am HIP certified.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 03:13 PM

I noticed this as well, Cabelas didn't ask how many birds I took, thought it was weird but it is on my license so oh well.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 03:14 PM

Yes.

And that hip is a joke anyway

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 03:15 PM

HIP or no HIP, I ain't going to Walmart.

Online is the ONLY way to fly.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 03:17 PM

I bought 3 license online and was prompted each time as well.
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 04:35 PM

This year, no prompt.

What?

What is going on?

I think they tweaked the online system in the past years. I had a similar experience last year. I thought I was HIP certified but found out otherwise once the temp. license stuff printed. So I had to login back to my account and was charged an online processing fee just to register for free HIP.

As I remember, before you would get a prompt which would take you directly to the HIP stuff and then you would be registered. Now you get a prompt but it does not take you directly to it. So you have to 'shop again' and select HIP and then answer questions.

This is my experience, although I may be missing a few details.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 05:16 PM

I wasn't prompted on line I checked it when I bought my public land permit.

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 05:18 PM

Here's what TPWD said about it:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence. We appreciate hearing from our customers.

When purchasing a license online, you have to go back to the HUNTING category once you've put the hunting license in your cart. There is a prompt that says "If you intend to hunting migratory game birds, go back to the hunting category and select item 137, the HIP Certification." The survey is something that you have to physically go back and add to your cart, it does not automatically pop up for you to fill out."

It used to pop up. I guess it was too easy the other way.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 05:37 PM

last year I had to carry 2 pieces of paper because Wal Mart screwed up my HIP cert..

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 05:40 PM

The last time I went to Walmart they ran two different "employees" back there, neither one could even operate the machinery.

I left without a license.
Went home, printed one off in two minutes...

...'nuff said.

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/08/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
last year I had to carry 2 pieces of paper because Wal Mart screwed up my HIP cert..

If they don't ask the questions, what good is the survey?
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/09/15 04:15 AM

The state could fix this issue easily by requiring HIP certification on all hunting licenses sold.
My Walmart generally does it automatically, but I don't take a chance. I have a lifetime license, so I just give them my card and DL and tell them I need my license printed and I need the HIP certification.
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/09/15 02:25 PM

Maybe on all waterfowl endorsements,but no need to put it on all Hunting licenses
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/09/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

Yes.

And that hip is a joke anyway

It may not seem accurate but the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service relies on it so keep that in mind when answering the questions

Quote:
These estimates give biologists the information they need to make sound decisions concerning hunting seasons, bag limits, and population management.
http://www.fws.gov/hip/
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/09/15 07:51 PM

The HIP cert is such a joke and a waste of time.

Cashier: Sir how many dove did you shoot last season?
Me: I dunno a thousand....
Cashier: ok

Cashier: Sir how many dove did you shoot last season?
Buddy next in line: I dunno a thousand and one...
Cashier: ok
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/09/15 10:38 PM

Yes........never saw the point of it. scratch
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/09/15 10:40 PM

The last time I went to Walmart they ran two different "employees" back there, neither one could even operate the machinery.

I left without a license.
Went home, printed one off in two minutes...

...'nuff said.
Yep me too. Their machine was on dial up. The guy asked me if I had any other shopping to do. I said never mind. Went home printed in about 5 minutes. Never bought from a retailer since. I'll give the extra $5 to never leave home and darken the door of another WalMart.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/10/15 12:07 AM

Bought mine online and after clicking on super combo, a screen pooped up for HIP certification. Answered the questions and good to go! 5 minutes total instead of dealing with the yahoo's at Walmart.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/10/15 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Team Hillbilly
Maybe on all waterfowl endorsements,but no need to put it on all Hunting licenses

No reason not to, and lots of dove hunters don't hunt waterfowl. It doesn't matter though, it won't happen.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/10/15 01:47 AM

Online? Maybe. I know last years, they didn't ask at Academy and I questioned them. They said they just "filled in the numbers"? Same thing this year. However, it's the hunters responsibility to make sure
Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
You are only asked the questions if you click the box indicating you want it. It's not that hard really.

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/10/15 11:58 AM

If these retailers are "filling in the numbers" then the whole system is worthless and needs to be abandoned.
Of course, I guess it's still useful to Game Wardens who write tickets.
Posted By: tinkerbell

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/10/15 06:01 PM

HIP isn't used for harvest estimates or to set bag limits. It's mainly used to select who will fill out the more in depth season long hunt log. I did it back in 2008, and had to record every hunt, hunt location, duration, and species harvested (duck, goose, etc).

http://www.fws.gov/hip/

"In addition, when you sign up for HIP, you will be asked to voluntarily answer several questions about your hunting experience during last year's season. Your answers to these questions are not used to compile harvest estimates, but are simply used to identify what types of birds you usually hunt. This allows the Service to mail its surveys to the appropriate hunters. For example, most surveys about dove harvest are sent to hunters who usually hunt doves, while most waterfowl harvest surveys are sent to hunters who usually hunt ducks and/or geese."

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/10/15 07:43 PM

Ah ha. Got it.
Posted By: tc/encore

Re: Are you HIP certified? - 09/10/15 07:47 PM

My HIP is certified. eek2 After they installed it last year they gave me a card to use for proof at the airport security check.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum