Texas Hunting Forum

Any APH Hunters on here?

Posted By: Ronix

Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/26/15 06:24 PM

I am new to this forum and new to public hunting. I have hunted the family farm most of my life but its a 2hr drive from my new house. I wanted to split my time between the farm and public land this year. I have a questions to the guys that dove hunt on public land, So...

Are there any unwritten rules I need to know? or anything y'all hate that other people do while hunting?

I don't want to go out there and be "That Guy". If any one could help me out that would be great!

Also thinking of hunting FM2194 and King Farm. If anyone would like to meet up for a hunt please let me know.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/26/15 08:05 PM

Public dove hunting around DFW can be a real zoo, especially if ya find birds. Late season you might find a decent spot when some migrators get here and the pressure lets up, but on opening morning and weekend be prepared for anything.

Not trying to depress ya or talk ya out of it. I hunted a place adjacent to some public hunting in Collin county around 5 years ago. I was way up on the north end away from it but I drove by after the opening morning hunt out of curiosity. There were so many trucks parked along the gravel road there wasn't any room. Folks were stacked up in the field like a grid pattern every 25 yards. Not my thing.

I know in less populated places where there's public spots you can do some good without the circus.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/26/15 08:22 PM

The TPWD leases the land in good faith but after opening weekend you may be hunting over plowed dirt
Posted By: Ronix

Re: Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/26/15 08:39 PM

I can spend the first few weeks on the farm no big deal. I figured the 1st couple weekends would be crazy. just wanted to see what the AHP was all about.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/26/15 11:30 PM

Ahp is good. It takes work, lots of time on the ground and in the areas, yes they can be a mess, but yes you can be successful. I mainly hunt hogs on ahp. I have been successful bagging limits on all species on public, but I don't share those locations
Posted By: luisfigo

Re: Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/26/15 11:38 PM

For me it is the only resource available within a reasonable driving distance. On opening day it could be a war zone with their fair share of people that shouldn't be allowed to own guns. It slows down after that. Get there early, scout beforehand and find an area where you have a good view of who is around so you don't shoot anyone and don't get shot either. If it feels dangerous it probably is. Just leave, don't argue. Not worth it. Early afternoon (when is hot and nobody is crazy enough to be around but you) you can get some action by jumping the birds taking a nap.
Posted By: cy100

Re: Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/26/15 11:55 PM

first week is hard, you have to know where to go and be there as early as possible. after 2 weeks, the action would become very slow. people will stop to go. then you pay more attention on the weather. after you identify a good day, you may have a good hunt and you will be surprised that only yourself is in the field.i usually have one or two hunts like this each season.
Posted By: etorres308

Re: Any APH Hunters on here? - 08/27/15 02:47 AM

I've been considering APH land down by Hillsboro, anyone know if it's as crazy as Collin county?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum