Texas Hunting Forum

Where Did The Doves Go?

Posted By: Stompy

Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/25/15 05:13 PM

Couple of weeks ago they were everywhere, had hundreds sitting on the power lines and in the fields. Little cold front comes thru and they hitched a ride outa here. Couple of weeks ago it looked like it was going to possibly be one of the best openings ever, now it looks mediocre at best. Still tons of food here for them, hopefully more show up in the next week.
Anyone else loose their Doves? Or did you have a bunch show up in the past week?
Posted By: Bobby Frey

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/25/15 05:28 PM

I am finally seeing more in the city on my way to work in Arlington.
Posted By: LegendRuns1

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/25/15 05:37 PM

Mine left for one day after that little storm we had last week, (front) or whatever it was. Hell it's hotter now than it was before the front. But the doves came back that afternoon. But I'm south of San Antonio. Your cold front was a hot front by the time it got to me.
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/25/15 05:43 PM

Hopefully they flew a little north to my field.

I seem to be in the same shape, numbers have dropped recently. Apparently the numbers are picking up along the red river so I would hope that they will filter down to us before the season starts.

There is a lot of feed everywhere this year, might not get the concentrated numbers in the big fields this year.
Posted By: slack40

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/25/15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Couple of weeks ago they were everywhere, had hundreds sitting on the power lines and in the fields. Little cold front comes thru and they hitched a ride outa here. Couple of weeks ago it looked like it was going to possibly be one of the best openings ever, now it looks mediocre at best. Still tons of food here for them, hopefully more show up in the next week.
Anyone else loose their Doves? Or did you have a bunch show up in the past week?

We were working on our place just north of you, and we had a few flying around all day just before the storm hit Sunday afternoon.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/25/15 07:08 PM

My field isn't far to the north of Breckenridge. I wasn't able to scout it until last weekend, so I don't have a fair comparison of the impact that the front had on the birds. Numbers were above average, but not like last year when we were flat out covered. The weather looks pretty hot and dry for the next week. This is about the only time of year that I'll celebrate that forecast!
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/25/15 11:11 PM

Saw more quail in Coleman yesterday than Dove. This storm today will blow out more. I predict a bust this year In most areas. May have flight of city white wings late am-
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 12:59 AM

First time in years I havent seen hundreds of mourning doves on my property. Very few at the ranch in Stephens county this weekend as well. Maybe we will get a push from a front by next week.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 11:37 AM

Funny, I saw quite a few quail too. I didn't see or hear any on the lease last year.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 12:11 PM

Whole season will be a bust, maybe worst ever. peep
Posted By: birddown

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 12:21 PM

I'm in Gouldbusk, still above average numbers down here. Just scattered about due to all the food options. They are here, you will just have to hunt them this year.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 05:01 PM

I think the dove will improve Stompy, there are bound to be some dove at your place with all that food

I am happy to hear about all of the quail

Hope I see the same when I head out next week
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 06:25 PM

I think all the dove are in Irving Tx
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 06:50 PM

They have been great here, I just went to my truck and saw 3 flying over one of the points we hunt and be dern on the way back in saw 4 land in a waterway on the other side of the house.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/26/15 08:31 PM

Tollway @ park, Plano... loaded up hammer
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/27/15 12:45 PM

Stompy, me and the boys will run over there in a few weeks to mop up some of those that show up later.
A lot of seasons, that can be the best hunting.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/27/15 01:58 PM

This is a yearly thing. The ones that leave will be replaced by new birds in a couple days. I've had some of my best hunts a couple weeks into the season in the afternoon, the whitewings tend to group up and take off wave after wave, seen it alot in last few years. Feels great outside right now, would love to have an opener with the humidity low and temps about 70, but it won't happen I'm sure.6 days to blast away. clap

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/27/15 02:05 PM

Any updates Stompy?

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/27/15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Any updates Stompy?

Yea, was out doing some work this morning and saw probably around 60 here at the house. Two weeks ago I was seeing around 200 or so. I disc some strips around my fields on Tuesday and maybe that's why I'm seeing more. When they get done flying in the morning I'm going to do a little more mowing.

I mowed early this year due to the thickness of the fields. I was worried about a break down with the mower or Tractor. If something breaks that I can't fix or need parts for it can sometimes take a long time. I wanted to give myself some time in case that happened. It did but I was able to fix the 2 problems myself.

I haven't checked my other 3 fields but I'm sure they have some Doves. It's not like I don't have any, it just that before the front there was a butt load. This is probably more like average now. We'll have a good shoot, seen it like this before and worse. Seems like when people start shooting birds come out of nowhere.

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/27/15 09:25 PM

I guess they come through in waves
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/27/15 09:49 PM

They're probably at arby's roast beef sale.

(throw back to a commercial some of you won't remember)
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/27/15 09:53 PM

Hmmmm

Well seems they took off with the Teal to???????
confused2 duel confused2
Posted By: aggiegadwall

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/29/15 11:35 AM

All I'm gonna say is if you can't shoot a pile if birds this 1st week in Our area than you ran outta shells!!!!!!

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/29/15 01:23 PM

Well I may have figured it out. I have 4 fields, 3 fields have birds. My biggest field has hardly any birds but I counted 13 hawks in it this morning. My 3 other fields doesn't have any Hawks, I guess this might be the problem. That's the only thing I can think of, it has lots of food and water. Hopefully the Hawks will move on.
Posted By: clint623

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/29/15 02:20 PM

I saw a few real yesterday in Waller and only a handful of doves
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/29/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: clint623
I saw a few real yesterday in Waller and only a handful of doves

X2
Posted By: Flock Knocker

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/29/15 04:24 PM

Were seeing some increasing numbers but still not what it was a week or so ago. If the numbers keep increasing like they have the past few days it should be a good opener.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/29/15 04:47 PM

Crickets
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/30/15 12:25 AM

I went out scouting today in the area around Honey Grove. While I saw a few birds, I'm not really optimistic about the opener.
Posted By: Blake E.

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/30/15 12:39 AM

Bowie looks good. Should be a nice opener here.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Where Did The Doves Go? - 08/30/15 03:18 AM

Not many at the deer lease in Montague thia weekend. Had lots in June/July. 2 years ago in drought had hundreds but with so much water they are scatted. I am passing on Sept 1 now. Will come up on the weekend.

Aggie, we'll be out there the next week Wed/Thurs at the Hamlin lodge with Roy. Save some birds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum