Texas Hunting Forum

hearing protection

Posted By: pervis

hearing protection - 08/23/15 12:41 PM

So what do you guys use other than cheap ear plugs? Wanting some low profile ear muffs but don't know what's out there or any good. I don't mind spending money so help me out w some options
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: hearing protection - 08/23/15 02:22 PM

I bought a couple pair of these a few years ago.
http://amzn.com/B001T7QJ9O

I liked them so much that when I broke one I bought another. Cheap and work great, low enough profile to hunt.

Great for the duck blind, you can carry on normal conversation (actually they can amplify sounds, too so yo actually hear better). Only negative is they're hot for an afternoon dove hunt and in the wind they can be loud.

For $40 (I think they're normally around $50) I might buy a backup pair...
Posted By: jaymz

Re: hearing protection - 08/23/15 02:26 PM

I may try these this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WIXL2XQ?ref_=zg_bs_3413521_3
Posted By: bermise

Re: hearing protection - 08/23/15 02:42 PM

For sporting clays I use a brand called Macks soft foam plugs. I like them & Academy carries it.

Do you guys wear hearing protection when dove hunting?
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: hearing protection - 08/23/15 03:20 PM

I use hearing protection whenever I shoot
Posted By: syncerus

Re: hearing protection - 08/23/15 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I liked them so much that when I broke one I bought another. Cheap and work great, low enough profile to hunt.

Great for the duck blind, you can carry on normal conversation (actually they can amplify sounds, too so yo actually hear better). Only negative is they're hot for an afternoon dove hunt and in the wind they can be loud.

I have these too, and my assessment and experience is exactly the same as yours.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: hearing protection - 08/23/15 05:42 PM

Been looking at hearing protection ear muff's last month or so and allllmost ordered the Leight Impact Pro's #R-01902 that are a bit HD'er than the Sport model, but with more features @ $60+...but they are bigger and I assume heavier, and saw some comments about being "in the way" enough to be a problem occasionally trying to maintain a cheek weld. But I think ya'lls previous experiences will change my mind...and I can always use a corded set of plugs under these muff's if need be.

I did pick up some of the Western yellow/black 35db's muff's from Harbor Freight @ $12 to use in the yard for the annual leaf fall blizzard blower work, and this years chain saw work on the flood's couple dozen full size tree trunk gifts that'll start as soon as the heat breaks.
Ron
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: hearing protection - 08/24/15 01:31 AM

What?? I can't hear you....

Unfortunately I don't wear hearing protection, muffs are too hot and plugs, you can't hear. but to all , wear something.

I have about 60% hearing loss in my left ear and tinnitus from many years working at a gun club in high school, back in that day we used cigarette butts or cotton balls

My how times have changes, for the better in this instance.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: hearing protection - 08/24/15 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: jaymz

jaymz, if you get these let us know what you think
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: hearing protection - 08/24/15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

These are good been using them for a few seasons now. I also use ear plugs from time to time.
Posted By: jaymz

Re: hearing protection - 08/24/15 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: jaymz

jaymz, if you get these let us know what you think

Will do. I have tinnitus in both ears.. i hate it (though im mostly used to it now).. i just don't want it to get any worse.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: hearing protection - 08/24/15 06:39 PM

Huh?
Posted By: garrett

Re: hearing protection - 08/24/15 06:53 PM

I bought some surefire plugs last year, they work great up
Posted By: pervis

Re: hearing protection - 08/25/15 01:48 PM

Got the ones Larry suggested. Thanks guys
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: hearing protection - 08/25/15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: pervis