Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Baiting

Posted By: TXW

Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 09:35 PM

Is a deer protein feeder considered baiting for dove purposes? I wouldn't think so, but the question has been raised since we placed a protein feeder close to a tank so the protein would be close to a water source for the deer. Needless to say, a tank in Texas is always an ideal dove spot as well. I'm sure we aren't the only ones that have come across this dilemma. Feeder is a little over 100 yards away.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 09:52 PM

Very iffy. I think most GW would say yes.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 09:56 PM

Yes it would be considered a baited area.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Very iffy. I think most GW would say yes.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 10:04 PM

If the dove eat the protein then yes it is baited.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
If the dove eat the protein then yes it is baited.

This^^^^
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 10:48 PM

I've seen posted on here were guys have been ticketed for hunting near a feeder that was on the neighbors property, hundreds of yards away.
A call to your local warden is quick, and you will get his interpretation of the rules. Every warden will see this different.
We like to hunt a small 200 acre place that has 3 feeders. According to some of the interpretations I have read, we can't dove hunt there because a dove could be flying to a feeder.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 11:21 PM

I was a guest on a large ranch a few years ago that had quite a few feeders, and we were hunting dove. The Warden told us we needed to stay at least 400 yds away from the feeders. Not sure thats a law, probably just his opinion. I guess that could be a problem if your hunting on a small tract of land and the neighbors have feeders out.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 11:32 PM

And its all depends on the G W but I wouldnt take the chance
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/16/15 11:47 PM

Had a game warden tell me I couldn't dove hunt my place last season because of a neighbors feeder. I shut mine off 10 days before dove season like the law says. This year, she hasn't been poken her nose around yet so I think I may jump the fence and kill his feeder. He don't hunt anyway. He think all deer are his pets. Has even stopped and yelled across the fence to ruin my hunt. Game warden said she couldn't do nothing about that. Funny part is his uncle owns a processing plant and they haven't talked in years.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorsmen54
Had a game warden tell me I couldn't dove hunt my place last season because of a neighbors feeder. I shut mine off 10 days before dove season like the law says. This year, she hasn't been poken her nose around yet so I think I may jump the fence and kill his feeder. He don't hunt anyway. He think all deer are his pets. Has even stopped and yelled across the fence to ruin my hunt. Game warden said she couldn't do nothing about that. Funny part is his uncle owns a processing plant and they haven't talked in years.

Ah I think you need to make a phone call to her supervisor. This is taken driectly off the tpwd.texas.gov website.
"Harassment

Harassment of hunters, trappers or anglers (Sportsmen's Rights Act) is punishable by a fine of $200 to $2000 and/or 180 days in jail."
Posted By: JBlack

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 01:58 PM

I have spoken to several game wardens over this same topic. The law does not state a distance, so it is up to the judge/game warden to determine if you are in fault. I have 18,000 photos of my feeder this year and not one dove under it. I dont see it as baiting, but the rule does not say they ever have to eat any. It says if the bait could attract dove. I went this weekend and turned one feeder off and placed another away from the dove hunting areas. that is the best i can do on a small acre lease.

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 02:14 PM

I have a call into our Game Warden and waiting to hear back. I have reviewed the TPWD book and it doesn't state anything regarding distance, size of property, etc. The law appears so open as to any hunting location could be considered a baited location since there are corn feeders and protein feeders spread all over Texas. I'll pass along any info I receive.

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TXW
I have a call into our Game Warden and waiting to hear back. I have reviewed the TPWD book and it doesn't state anything regarding distance, size of property, etc. The law appears so open as to any hunting location could be considered a baited location since there are corn feeders and protein feeders spread all over Texas. I'll pass along any info I receive.

Distance does not matter. If birds are going to the bait, and you are shooting birds going to/from the bait, that's a violation. If no birds are going to the bait, there is no violation.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

Distance does not matter. If birds are going to the bait, and you are shooting birds going to/from the bait, that's a violation. If no birds are going to the bait, there is no violation.

but...that's way to easy to understand
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 03:18 PM

That is why we only shoot the ones that don't look like they are flying to a feeder. confused2

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 03:29 PM

Well that's the law, it's as simple as that. Point is, if birds are not going to a feeder, then there is no violation. If birds are going to a feeder, that's a problem you need to deal with, either remove the feeder/bait or don't hunt anywhere near it.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 05:01 PM

Well that's the law, it's as simple as that. Point is, if birds are not going to a feeder, then there is no violation. If birds are going to a feeder, that's a problem you need to deal with, either remove the feeder/bait or don't hunt anywhere near it.

Can you post a link? Might be helpful to everyone.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 10:34 PM

So what if you plant sunflowers or corn strictly for attracting dove and not to harvest for profit? Is that baiting?
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/17/15 10:55 PM

No ,that would be a manipulated crop which is totally legal .
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/18/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
So what if you plant sunflowers or corn strictly for attracting dove and not to harvest for profit? Is that baiting?

Dove rules no
Waterfowl rules maybe, food plots could be consider baiting, there's a couple of normal agriculture practices tests that apply.
Posted By: WestTxAg07

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/18/15 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933

Dove rules no
Waterfowl rules maybe, food plots could be consider baiting, there's a couple of normal agriculture practices tests that apply.

This is correct. But what I don't understand is you can plant a field in millet, flood it for duck season, and run guided hunts off of it and that is considered a "normal agriculture practice." But some guy sets up too close to a feeder and gets a ticket. Give me a break!
Posted By: BDB

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/18/15 09:33 PM

If I was on my property with no feeders/active feeders I would not give a rats-ss if my neighbors had feeders out or not. I would hunt legally on my property and deal with it if it comes down to it. I would hedge my bets that property rights would win in court over what a game warden perceived to be baiting when the bait was not on your property and you had nothing to do with putting it out.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 12:23 AM

My GW told me my guys need to stay at least 200 yards away from any active corn feeders. He also told me that it's up to each GW what that distance is.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 02:26 AM

I think it is the GW's call, so you should ask him. He's available. Track him down and ask him what his determination would be.
It may be different from one guy to the next.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 02:34 AM

If you are hunting within a certain distance it is considered baiting. I know a few people that have received tickets for hunting near deer feeders of any kind.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 05:48 AM

I can only recall one dove of the hundreds I have ever cleaned that had corn in it. It looked like it was deer corn but not ours so it flew a long long way to our tank that is over half a mile to the nearest fence. We don't run feeders until mid-Sept normally.
Posted By: JBlack

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 01:49 PM

I also have never seen any corn in a dove i have cleaned. You can have a field of corn/milo/wheat and mow it to the ground and hunt it, but you cant place those same grains there out of a bag. The Rules don't make a lot of sense.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 02:14 PM

Rules on Baiting begin at the bottom right of page 6. No set distance from feeders. Up to the warden/court's discretion.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/nonpwdpubs/dove_management/dove_management_texas.pdf
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 02:15 PM

Most every dove we clean here have corn in 'em, course corn fields are all around. There should some kinda distance set to books instead of to each GW. Around here I know some GW's sub for one another, so if Joe says he is satisfied with the distance, then say Henry subs for Joe and his distance is not the same then you get a ticket. That is why I wish it was written down. 2cents
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 02:34 PM

good point

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 03:14 PM

Our GW doesn't have a specific distance but mentioned the 200 yard distance like others have stated. He was more focused on intent. If sitting around the feeder and shooting them coming and going, then definitely considered baiting. Hunting over another source like a tank or field where a feeder is within 200 yards wouldn't be considered baiting. Regardless, we will not be refilling the protein feeder on Labor Day weekend like originally planned. Once it runs out in the next week or so, it will stay empty until January.

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 03:56 PM

In regard to distance, you will not find anything on that in any of the regs. See below from the fed reg. 4 key words "By the aid of baiting". Obviously you cannot hunt over bait, but if the bait is 500 yards away, and you are shooting birds going to and from the bait, you are using bait as an "aid", that is a violation. If no birds are going to said feeder, as long as you are not hunting right over the feeder you are not breaking the law. Of course a GW could still write you a ticket because he/she does not understand the spirit of the reg. It's really common sense, unfortunately many do not have it.

"Excerpts from Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 20.21(i)
No persons shall take migratory game birds:
(i) By the aid of baiting, or on or over any baited area, where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited. "

Link to the fed regs...
https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/dove-hunting-and-baiting.pdf
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/19/15 04:01 PM

I posted the gov. document earlier. Here is the language on baiting.

Baiting regulations
Doves are migratory game birds, and dove hunting is
governed by both state and federal laws. Although baiting is
legal for resident birds such as quail and wild turkey, shooting
migratory birds (including doves) over bait is strictly prohibited.

A baited area is defined as any area where salt, grains
or other feeds have been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed
or scattered if they could serve as a lure or attraction
for migratory game birds. A baited area cannot be hunted
until at least 10 days after all bait is removed.
The distance a person can hunt from a baited area (including
deer or quail feeders) is not absolute. Court rulings
vary, depending on factors such as weather, topography and
flight patterns of the birds. The definition of a baited area
does not make an exception for deer and quail feeders, so
avoid hunting in areas where these feeders are located.
Hunting over a field or food plot that has been manipulated
by shredding, burning or windrowing is legal for dove
hunting but not for waterfowl. For doves, you can do anything
to the crop except harvest and redistribute it onto the
same field.
An exception to this rule is the practice of “top-sowing,”
which is broadcasting seed of wheat or rice with a
fertilizer spreader or from an airplane. Doves cannot be
hunted in such fields unless this practice is considered a
normal agricultural practice for that area. Normal agricultural
practices are defined by Texas Cooperative Extension.
Before hunting, check with a local game warden to make
sure you are in compliance with hunting regulations.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/20/15 02:10 AM

I understand the going to and from said feeders, but where my feeders are you could not find a bird if you shot one, unless it feel right at your feet cause my pasture is so over grown you could not find a bird unless it feel right at your feet. We dove hunt the outside the pasture with the feeders in the pasture of course. Its been a long time known if a bird falls in the JUNGLE you don't even go look for it cause you aint going to find it. Just want to understand the rules as is as wrote in the TPWD RULES. Not ranting, just want to abide by the RULES!!
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/20/15 02:12 AM

It's frustrating. .gov don't make anything easy.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/20/15 02:47 AM

Funny, I made a post a while back about hunting a small track that was next to a breeding operation....posted my concerns about the neighbors feed being too close and everyone dismissed my concerns and said you can't control what is over the hill next to you.....seems my concerns aren't that far fetched anymore.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/20/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Funny, I made a post a while back about hunting a small track that was next to a breeding operation....posted my concerns about the neighbors feed being too close and everyone dismissed my concerns and said you can't control what is over the hill next to you.....seems my concerns aren't that far fetched anymore.

Did you hunt the small track in close proximity to feeders, based on the feedback you received here?
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/23/15 01:16 AM

Throw cracked corn on nieghbors land and then blast em! JK
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/23/15 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Kenny Powers
Throw cracked corn on nieghbors land and then blast em! JK

eeks333
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/25/15 01:52 PM

Hire a lawyer
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Dove Baiting - 08/26/15 12:21 AM

The guy I'm leasing from for dove season is facing the same issue right now. He has a deer feeder on the property (70 acres +/-). He's meeting with the GW at the property on Friday to determine what he has to do, so I'll have answer from one GW. The problem is, if you're not in the same county it may not mean much. I've told the guy he needs to turn the feeder off, but we'll see what the GW says.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum