Texas Hunting Forum

Traveling to hunt

Posted By: Goldenboy30

Traveling to hunt - 08/13/15 12:16 PM

It has long been a dream or an idea of mine that I want to hunt other places and see new places to hunt. I live in Houston and always hunt on the coast. This year I would like to start my traveling to hunt dream and I want to start in panhandle Texas. It has a different scenery and two birds that I rarely get to shoot at, green heads and canadas. Here on the coast I know you don't have too many options primarily because of the close proximity to houston but in order to hunt you either hunt public, join a hunting club, get a guide or lease a spot yourself. The old method of knocking on doors to gain permission has all but been used up here. So, is the panhandle the same way? I wouldn't mind hiring a guide but generally they always have a minimum number(usually 4) for them to even take you out. I don't have 3 other people that want to do this, it's just me and my dog and I don't want to break the bank. Has anyone else tried to do this before by themselves, is hunting area in the panhandle pretty locked up already like it is on the coast,or do you have any good advice on how to go about doing this?
Posted By: john paul

Re: Traveling to hunt - 08/13/15 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Goldenboy30
It has long been a dream or an idea of mine that I want to hunt other places and see new places to hunt. I live in Houston and always hunt on the coast. This year I would like to start my traveling to hunt dream and I want to start in panhandle Texas. It has a different scenery and two birds that I rarely get to shoot at, green heads and canadas. Here on the coast I know you don't have too many options primarily because of the close proximity to houston but in order to hunt you either hunt public, join a hunting club, get a guide or lease a spot yourself. The old method of knocking on doors to gain permission has all but been used up here. So, is the panhandle the same way? I wouldn't mind hiring a guide but generally they always have a minimum number(usually 4) for them to even take you out. I don't have 3 other people that want to do this, it's just me and my dog and I don't want to break the bank. Has anyone else tried to do this before by themselves, is hunting area in the panhandle pretty locked up already like it is on the coast,or do you have any good advice on how to go about doing this?

PM sent
Posted By: RayB

Re: Traveling to hunt - 08/13/15 01:14 PM

GB30, if you don't mind hunting with a stranger, maybe we just need two more now!
Posted By: Goldenboy30

Re: Traveling to hunt - 08/13/15 04:02 PM

I never mind
Posted By: JEmberson

Re: Traveling to hunt - 08/13/15 06:09 PM

I used to run with a harvest crew that cut 8000ac of milo and corn around Moore county. Once it got cold and froze I watch countless geese get in around there from around mid October. Don't think it ever gets hunted, I'm sure a few door knocks around there might get you somewhere. I'd join you, I know a few farmers, I cut their wheat just 6 weeks ago.
Posted By: aggieraf

Re: Traveling to hunt - 08/13/15 08:50 PM

PM Sent
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum