Texas Hunting Forum

Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs

Posted By: GoBears870

Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/08/15 03:14 PM

My father, uncle, and myself are looking to do a guys weekend this season that involves killing lots of ducks and not sleeping in a tent, boat, or truck. We've pretty much only hunted North and Central Texas in our lives so we need to branch out. With that, I'm wondering what thoughts people have on if we should look at Arkansas or the Texas coast. We just want to put ourselves in the best place to have a weekend of great hunts and great accommodations. The floor is open.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/08/15 03:18 PM

Call Larry Robinson down in Bay City. You can do a combo goose morning and duck evening. He has a great lodge, great food. Coastal Wings Outfitters is the name.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/08/15 03:38 PM

I vote for Texas since Arkansas doesn't have a coast
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/08/15 05:52 PM

Duck hunting is never a guarantee, but if I ever had to bet anything on a hunt to where I needed results, it would be early teal season in the rice fields or near the coast. The numbers are usually plentiful and teal are pretty dumb. Always been my favorite season.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/08/15 10:13 PM

The coast (the further south the better), if y'all haven't done it, there is nothing like it.

To fully experience it, make sure you get at least one airboat ride. Evening hunting can be good too.

Another thing about the coast is potential for great fishing too.

If I had to choose, I'd pick an outfitter out of Baffin Bay for a cast and blast trip.
Posted By: Astater

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/29/15 03:12 AM

There's nothing like the Arkansas timber on the rivers...that said, I've never hunted the coast. Personally, I'd go for a cinny and soak in the coast.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/29/15 03:51 PM

Bobby Luna out of Corpus is a great guide to use. He runs a nice airboat and hunts lake Corpus Christi and the Laguna Madre. I highly recommend him and refer all my clients to him for duck hunts.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/29/15 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: STXHO
Bobby Luna out of Corpus is a great guide to use. He runs a nice airboat and hunts lake Corpus Christi and the Laguna Madre. I highly recommend him and refer all my clients to him for duck hunts.

This ^^^^

Bobby Luna
http://www.lonestarwaterfowl.com/
361-944-8844
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/29/15 08:52 PM

When I lived in Portland and guided on the coast I would often see Mr. Luna at the boat ramps. We both seemed to have the same favorite spots. He was the ONLY other guide I would run into that would hang out at the boat ramp and shoot the breeze with me. We talked about what areas were producing, decoy placement, etc. He was a super nice guy even when his clients were long gone. I don't live down there anymore and I don't have a dog in the fight but I will say that Bobby is a very honest and personable guy which is more than you will find with a lot of the "outfitters" and college kids with captains licenses that are on the coast.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/30/15 12:36 AM

I would say it depends on what kind of hunt you are wanting to do. Great accommodations can be found in either place. Would you rather: go hunt rice in Arkansas and have mallard, pintail, and speck hunts; shoot mallards in the flooded woods; go to the coast and shoot divers, wigeons, and pintails
Posted By: Littlejr13

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/30/15 02:15 AM

Arkansas green timber! Life changing !
Posted By: cheasapeake

Re: Arkansas or TX coast? Looking for lodge recs - 07/30/15 04:08 AM

Save your money, don't do a guide, I would go Texas coast but get away from the now popular spots? Go way south.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum