Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks

Posted By: yakinthebox

Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 05:11 PM

This thought just occurred to me, and I think the answer is probably no. But is it legal to hunt a pond that has resident Muscovy ducks(with no intention of hunting the Muscovy)?

I could not really find any info on it. But my thought is that they would definitely help bring ducks in with the water movement.

BTW, This is only hypothetical. I have no Muscovy ducks or access to any pond with Muscovy Ducks.

Just curious...
Posted By: john paul

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 05:58 PM

I'd think they would be considered live decoys which it would mean it would be illegal to hunt there.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 06:14 PM

if your gonna go outlaw and hunt over live decoys buy some mallards, not those nasty Muscovy ducks
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 06:23 PM

Gotcha. Like I said, hypothetical and I figured it was a no... Just a thought on these boring offseason days... LOL
Posted By: Flock Knocker

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 06:27 PM

I wouldn't take the chance, its all about perception. And ole Mr. Green Pants is going to think you are using live decoys.

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 06:38 PM

if they are not anchored with a string and they are free to move about whats it gonna hurt? i guess letting a duck land in your spread and swim around for a while is illegal also?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
if they are not anchored with a string and they are free to move about whats it gonna hurt? i guess letting a duck land in your spread and swim around for a while is illegal also?

Same thought crossed my mind. There's been more than once a dumb arse grebe or two has not only kept the hole in the ice from freezing back up, but also added motion. They wouldn't leave even after seeing dead dux falling around them. It never crossed my mind that could be illegal somehow.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 08:29 PM

We used to jump a friend's tank in high school that had some pet mallards on it. All went well until someone shot the ones that didn't fly
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

Lesson #1. Do not take advice from Garrett
Lesson #2 Never take advice from Garrett
Lesson #3 Absolutely under any circumstances never take advice from Garrett.

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 09:24 PM

I feel like I am the voice of reason most times around here up
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 11:00 PM

I'd hunt it, but I would shoot the Muscovies and get out of there with my six so I could hunt the same hole again tomorrow

#takeaquicksixandsavethehole
Posted By: Guy

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/17/15 11:45 PM

I'm with Garrett on this one, as long as the birds wings are not clipped and are free to fly away, fair game. Lakes are covered with them, many mallard hybrids, shoot the Muscovy I hear they are good eating.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/18/15 01:06 PM

#takeaquicksixandsavethehole

Ha.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Hunting a pond with Muscovy Ducks - 06/22/15 09:56 PM

barf barf barf
Originally Posted By: Guy
shoot the Muscovy I hear they are good eating.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum