Texas Hunting Forum

With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season...

Posted By: Guy

With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/24/15 03:55 PM

I like the idea of lost of places to hunt, easier to get away from barney. It's harder to find the birds, but I'm ok with that because I like to scout. Just hope all the food is not covered up. Some of these lakes I never seen so full.
Posted By: passthru

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/24/15 06:11 PM

Yep. But a lot of it also is determined by bird numbers. How the water is going up north and what kind of breeding season they have. Watch the rain fall totals up there as well.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/25/15 11:24 PM

Tons of places for ducks to go as well bang

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/26/15 01:55 PM

You guys think all the vegitation/food on public that has recently flooded, like smart weed, grown from 2014, will be a source of food for ducks this season? If yes, we could be in good shape. Ideally you like to see a draw down over summer and food growth, then rain in August to flood the new vegitation that grew over the summer, but I wonder if all the food now on the ground will be a food source this session.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/26/15 02:03 PM

Sure hope they come back to full pool long enough for the vegetation to grow.
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/26/15 09:51 PM

they'd better drop and QUICK!!

Gonna be a gray ring (high water mark) around most reservoirs when it does drain out. From that mark down EVERYTHING will be dead and seeds washed away. I'm betting ain't much grub and a lot of open water this year. Divers gonna be like hell yeah! roflmao
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/27/15 01:05 PM

I know my public honey hole from last year is gonna be a bust this year. violin

Back to the old school spots...
Posted By: garrett

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/27/15 01:28 PM

dead vegetation = no food = no ducks

looks like I'll be a deer hunter this year
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/27/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

You're a deer hunter every year. Don't kid yourself. rifle deer
Posted By: garrett

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/27/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Originally Posted By: garrett

You're a deer hunter every year. Don't kid yourself. rifle deer

I like the quite
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/28/15 12:28 AM

My thoughts on this is not much changes for the ducks. Most inland public waterfowl hunting many of us hunt is on public lakes. These lakes are not managed for hunting, they are managed for conservation storage or water supply. They will only release water down to that mark. Most are well above that now. For some lakes it will take time to draw down to the bottom of the flood pool. Usefull vegetation will already be dead by the time it does. These lakes are resting spots during migration. There is nothing about these lakes that will short stop the ducks from their final winter destinations. As for hunting spots. It depends on how you hunt. Low water gives access to the entire shoreline to walk in hunters and makes tall blinds and boats stick out. High water to the vegetation line presents a jungle to walk in hunters making it hard to get away from other hunters, but easy to be concealed. Then the obvious, more water spreads the birds out and that includes private water that is managed to short stop and hold waterfowl.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/28/15 10:08 PM

I live in Centex so nothing will change.

There are no ducks in central Texas

Re: With all the full lakes, should be a ton of places to hunt this season... - 05/30/15 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasEd
I live in Centex so nothing will change.

There are no ducks in central Texas

Ha ha, what happened to ol Zack anyways?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum