Texas Hunting Forum

any of you duck people

Posted By: wal1809

any of you duck people - 02/06/15 09:40 PM

is there any of you duck people on here that would sonsider him/herself a bad arse when it comes to Mercury outboards. Here is me problem. I have a 1999 60HP Mercury Bigfoot 2 stroke engine. The lower unit was no good and in pieces when I got it. It has a vertical shaft with male slines at the top of the shaft where it couples to the power head in a female slined coupler. I would say the top 6 inches of that shaft have been turned down to 5/8 diameter prior to the slines being cut. The rest of the shaft is 7/8s roughly.

I got a new to me but used lower unit from a 4 stroke. There is a 14 day return policy. I didn't realize until yesterday the vertical shaft on it was not turned down to 5/8s. It is straight 7/8s to the end with the splines cut in it.

My question is can I just change shafts? The pinion gear at the bottom on both has 43 44484 part numbers. There is some other numbers but both have that specific number. I am thinking I can just break down the lower unit, exchange the shafts and rock on.

Anyone in here a Mercury wizbang?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: any of you duck people - 02/06/15 09:48 PM

Gonna send ya a PM...
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: any of you duck people - 02/06/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Gonna send ya a PM...

Well dang. The rest of us would like to know.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: any of you duck people - 02/06/15 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Gonna send ya a PM...

Ha, I don't know a dang thing. I just know somebody that does so I gave him some contact info...
Posted By: aerangis

Re: any of you duck people - 02/07/15 12:54 AM

My goodness fella, another project?

Wal has more hobbys and projects than anyone I know.

Re: any of you duck people - 02/07/15 12:12 PM

Larrycopper I called him. He did not know the answer. So when I got home I just said screw it and took the new lower unit all the way to a shell. As my wonderful luck would have it, they are interchangeable, wahooo!!! The only difference between the 4 stroke and 2 stroke is the last upper 4 inches of shaft. I didnt figure they would use the same casing and re- engineer the guts.

Had I not got called out last night I would have bad the whole thing back together and installed on the upper unit.
Posted By: Guy

Re: any of you duck people - 02/07/15 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Gonna send ya a PM...

Ha, I don't know a dang thing. I just know somebody that does so I gave him some contact info...

lol, I was gonna be extremely impressed if LC knew that one. grin

Re: any of you duck people - 02/08/15 01:22 AM

Alright well we all know the answer now. They are interchangeable. It took about 20 minutes to put it all back together. I am shocked, it works.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum