Any suggestions?

Mainly hunt lakes/bays with a few rivers mixed in
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 01:36 AM

My 5500 is directly mounted to my 1850 with 20" side flat bottom
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:14 AM

Not I.

If you are getting a huntdeck, don't forget they are not counted on the length. My 1750 is like 18'8"
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 12:56 PM

Do not get a tunnel hull, big mistake with a mud motor, I am sure Kent will tell you that, tunnels are for outboards.
A jack plate is not needed, the motor has a power trim.
18' is the sweet spot for these mud rigs, Fooshman is correct, the hunt deck will add 20"s to the length of the boat.

I have enough trouble trying to turn my boat around in small creeks and its 17 feet long, I could not imagine trying to turn a 19'8" 0r 21'8" boat around in the same conditions.
You will find out that weight is also very important in these rigs and Gatortrax boats are already heavy, a boat that big will be tough to push off the trailer when you cant find a ramp or trying to get on step with 4 guys in deep silty mud.

I would go with the 18 feet boat with at least 21" sides hands down.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 01:24 PM

Ended up nixing the mud motor after talking with kent.

Now looking along the lines of a 18x62 CC with the hunt deck. That's why I'm looking at a tunnel hull

Deciding on what to build is tough!!!

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 01:37 PM

I can't help with that setup, an outboard is not even an option in all the places I hunt, I am always looking for less than 6 inches of water and I ain't pushing a boat for a 1/2 mile to hunt like I used to when I was young.

You will be happy with a GatorTrax boat either way.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:00 PM

I think a Gator T with a tunnel and a 2 stroke is as good as a man can buy. If you use it only for the times you duck hunt, them mud motors are good options. If you are using it for fun, fishing, and duck hunting, 2 stroke all the way. I am willing to bet your 2 stroke with a jack and tunnel will run 6 inches of water all day long.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:17 PM

Main reason I got a mud motor is because I hit a lot of stumps. I was all ready to get an outboard for my Momarsh. I made a post on this forum before a bought it, and everyone talked me out of it, and I'm so glad. I worry about damaging the boat vs the motor. If you are not hunting stumps, different ballgame.

And bigger boat is harder for everything, harder to hide, harder to get unstuck, harder in narrow places, etc... I for sure like hunting out of my momarsh a lot more than my gator trax, just everything is easier.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I think a Gator T with a tunnel and a 2 stroke is as good as a man can buy. If you use it only for the times you duck hunt, them mud motors are good options. If you are using it for fun, fishing, and duck hunting, 2 stroke all the way. I am willing to bet your 2 stroke with a jack and tunnel will run 6 inches of water all day long.

I know it will run 6"

But I'm going 4 stroke not two. 2 strokes are becoming obsolete imo

I started really thinking about it and realized I'm gonna use this boat 10 months outta the year not just 3

And we hunt lakes and bays not really sloughs so having a nimble boats that can run in 2" of water isn't necessary basically I need a bay boat that I can hunt out of and bow fish

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I know it will run 6"

2 stroke 4 stroke is all good

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:43 PM

Sounds like you know what you want now, enjoy the boat.
I have my Gatortrax for duck season mostly and run different stuff than you do. Lots of standing timber, driving over laydowns and beaver dams in creeks/rivers, and very long runs in shallow water in sand and silt due to our low lake levels. Most of the stuff I hunt is 2-3 inches of water and I can jump on plane in the silty mud with a mud motor.
Different ballgame hunting the coast like Wal and yourself.

I have a bass boat to fish from the rest of the year when I need to go fast so not an issue for me.

Enjoy your boat.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Main reason I got a mud motor is because I hit a lot of stumps. I was all ready to get an outboard for my Momarsh. I made a post on this forum before a bought it, and everyone talked me out of it, and I'm so glad. I worry about damaging the boat vs the motor. If you are not hunting stumps, different ballgame.

And bigger boat is harder for everything, harder to hide, harder to get unstuck, harder in narrow places, etc... I for sure like hunting out of my momarsh a lot more than my gator trax, just everything is easier.

There is an easy way to drive through stumps with a regular motor. Kick the motor up and go slower confused2 There is a guy on here with a gator T and a 2 stroke. He has posted pics before. The one I remember, the boat is beached and there are a lot of stumps and dead trees. There were rods in the rod holders. To me that is as all around as you can possibly get. That boat will hit rivers, shallows, fish, duck hunt and ski behind it even. A 2 stroke motor will push a boat harder/much faster and with taller sides, the ability to take big water with confidence. I limited myself for so many years because "By God I am a duck hunter and I have to go shallow and Yada freakin yada". I don't know what you other guys will experience after 2 decades of mud motors. I finally told myself the truth and that truth is I was limiting myself from a whole lot of boat useage because of the "Duck hunter" image. I also know not one boat will not do it all. Therefore I try and keep 3 boats on hand at all times. Now 4 with the pontoon duck blind build. Some of you may never agree but that is what I truly believe.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 02:50 PM

I know it will run 6"

I started really thinking about it and realized I'm gonna use this boat 10 months outta the year not just 3

And we hunt lakes and bays not really sloughs so having a nimble boats that can run in 2" of water isn't necessary basically I need a bay boat that I can hunt out of and bow fish

Good luck finding sub 130hp 4 stoke with the lowend and weight numbers of a 2 stroke.

Plus and minus of the tunnel... Tunnel drafts more at rest, tunnel runs shallower. Where you hunt get a tunnel and etec

Jasbs runs a gator trax with out board

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 03:14 PM

Bobo I would agree with you about the 4 strokes 5 years ago but they really have come along way

Buddy bought one when they first came out and although quiet it was a dog.

Two friends bought 4 strokes last year and they push the boats great with less noise and alot better fuel economy.

The technology with them is finally getting right

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 03:40 PM

There is an easy way to drive through stumps with a regular motor. Kick the motor up and go slower confused2

I been in Gdoggs outboard with jack plate a few times going thru the stumps, we would creep thru them pretty much idling, and every time motor hit a stump he was cussing. Another time with another member, we could not even get thru a stump field in his outboard. I have ADD, don't have patience for all that, I like to motor thru the stumps and not worry about hitting them, and I will hit stumps hard several times on every hunt. I go up to 15 mph thru stumps, Mohunter goes full throttle, I'm not that crazy, maybe one day I will work up to that.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 03:44 PM

Outboards also don't like lilies or hydrilla, or mud.. air cooled is a plus in shallow water

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 03:47 PM

Bobo I would agree with you about the 4 strokes 5 years ago but they really have come along way

Buddy bought one when they first came out and although quiet it was a dog.

Two friends bought 4 strokes last year and they push the boats great with less noise and alot better fuel economy.

The technology with them is finally getting right

They have come a long way in the upper HP's SHO the new merc etc. it's trickling down for sure.
What about a jet motor?

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 03:50 PM

There is an easy way to drive through stumps with a regular motor. Kick the motor up and go slower confused2

I been in Gdoggs outboard with jack plate a few times going thru the stumps, we would creep thru them pretty much idling, and every time motor hit a stump he was cussing. Another time with another member, we could not even get thru a stump field in his outboard. I have ADD, don't have patience for all that, I like to motor thru the stumps and not worry about hitting them, and I will hit stumps hard several times on every hunt. I go up to 15 mph thru stumps, Mohunter goes full throttle, I'm not that crazy, maybe one day I will work up to that.

Majority of his hunting will be coast. If he gets a tunnel, cav plate, jack plate and Skagg protector.. Only 2" of that skag will actually be below the hull on plane.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 03:51 PM

No doubt guy, you have to admit that was a fun ride though, although a short one. Remember what I told you, by next year you will be doing the same, it's either idle or full throttle for me whether I am in the open lake, stumps, mud, silt, veggies, tall flooded grass, or standing timber. I love running my boat thru and over everything, I like to test the limits of what it can do.
They will stop pretty fast when you hit a large tree dead on at 25 mph though, always try to bounce off trees and not hit them dead on. My Gatortrax has hit some dead on that would not break over and I have no dents in the front of my boat though, these boats are a beast. I will have to say my Godevil boat was just a strong also.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 04:10 PM

Don't know much about jet outboards bobo

My fear would be sucking up sand/mud in the impeller
Posted By: RiverRunner

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 05:03 PM

Don't know much about jet outboards bobo

My fear would be sucking up sand/mud in the impeller

Any vegetation or mud and that jet will get bogged down. I ran a jet for 15yrs...they are great when running rock/gravel or hard sand, but suck vegetation and mud into the impeller and bog it down. I switched from the jet (40hp powerhead/28hp at pump) to a mud motor(MB 5500) and have more power, faster, air cooled, etc...

much better with the mud motor for the stuff I hunt. Need an airboat now to hunt more effectively where I've been hunting the last 2yrs, just don't have a use for one outside of duck season.

Like wal said, there is no one perfect boat, but I think outboard/tunnel is about as all around as you can get for the areas you described.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 06:36 PM

well guys I think I finally found the boat.

18x62" CC with a 140 hp Suzuki with a powerpole, hybrid front end and huntdeck

Gonna look real similar to this boat without the side catwalk

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 06:55 PM

I think you will like it. I don't think the hybrid will make that much difference on ride from what I've heard. Just loose a little fishing room.

Make sure you get a pergo switch.

I've ridden in a couple at the cost, most say it isn't that big of a deal. Takes two seconds to clean it out.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:09 PM

whats a pergo switch?

kent (sales guy at gator) has talked me out of several expensive options but was adamant the hybrid front end is a must have for the coast and bigger water. plus I like the way it looks

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:18 PM

whats a pergo switch?

kent (sales guy at gator) has talked me out of several expensive options but was adamant the hybrid front end is a must have for the coast and bigger water. plus I like the way it looks

Oops auto correct Perko switch so you can shut batteries off when not in use.

Also do some research on aluminum and salt water... galvanic corrosion

Ditch the carpet on the trailer and go with something that doesn't hold water.

The little things can save you a lot of money when you resale

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:21 PM

Sweet fishin boat!
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
No doubt guy, you have to admit that was a fun ride though, although a short one. Remember what I told you, by next year you will be doing the same, it's either idle or full throttle for me whether I am in the open lake, stumps, mud, silt, veggies, tall flooded grass, or standing timber. I love running my boat thru and over everything, I like to test the limits of what it can do.
They will stop pretty fast when you hit a large tree dead on at 25 mph though, always try to bounce off trees and not hit them dead on. My Gatortrax has hit some dead on that would not break over and I have no dents in the front of my boat though, these boats are a beast. I will have to say my Godevil boat was just a strong also.

Mental note... no test rides with mohunter... unless we bring Shiner, motorcycle helmets, full body PFDs.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
whats a pergo switch?

what is galvanic corrosion?

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Sweet fishin boat!

gonna be a lot of fish shot off this boat, hopefully a few ducks as well

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:55 PM

whats a pergo switch?

The salwater eats the coating on the aluminum its

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 07:58 PM

two separate metals submerged in saltwater pretty much

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 08:20 PM

hmmmm, whats the best way to fight this? keep the boat clean?

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 08:27 PM

Rino line the whole thing! EXTREME

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 08:46 PM

lol, no this one is coming looking like a pile of grass. can't mess that up

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 08:47 PM

You ever seen how bright bass boats are?

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 08:48 PM

I think im going to start hunting in a bedazzled Cajun with a bright white sea horse on it.... ever notice the ducks just fly right on by them suckers while they are fishing?

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 09:20 PM

You ever seen how bright bass boats are?

yeah electric blue with a glitter finish.

but they won't work well in the bay

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 09:22 PM

How long you think till you hit your first sandbar? grin The bay is hard to understand.. I always think we should be in 10ft of water and someone will step out the boat and start walkin lol

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 09:35 PM

whats a pergo switch?

Combination of things but biggest thing is electricity and salt water.

If you look on motors there is an electrode right about the prop. Looks like lead but it an alloy.

If you're buying direct from gator Trex let them know you will be running a bunch of saltwater. They will set it up right.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 09:53 PM

How long you think till you hit your first sandbar? grin The bay is hard to understand.. I always think we should be in 10ft of water and someone will step out the boat and start walkin lol

hope never....but yes the bay is harder to read. that's why I like a CC you can see a lot better as far as the water in front of you is concerned.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 09:57 PM

whats a pergo switch?

Combination of things but biggest thing is electricity and salt water.

If you look on motors there is an electrode right about the prop. Looks like lead but it an alloy.

If you're buying direct from gator Trex let them know you will be running a bunch of saltwater. They will set it up right.

they are gonna put an anode on the bottom of the boat.

Kent is a great guy gives honest advice and is prompt.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 10:24 PM

How long is it going to take for them to build it? make sure you get one of those switches that kills the battery when you are not using it. Those new outboards will drain a battery when they are just sitting. Enjoy your new ride

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 10:32 PM

Gatortrax makes bass boats too.

peep

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodney2100
How long is it going to take for them to build it? make sure you get one of those switches that kills the battery when you are not using it. Those new outboards will drain a battery when they are just sitting. Enjoy your new ride

8 weeks is the est. time

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Gatortrax makes bass boats too.

peep

I know they look good grin

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/27/15 10:47 PM

This guy right here has the boat that Wal was referring to.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 12:07 AM

Which guy?

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 01:00 AM

Rodney.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 01:09 AM

Ohhhhh
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

Mental note... no test rides with mohunter... unless we bring Shiner, motorcycle helmets, full body PFDs.

My very first duck hunting experience was with good ol mohunter on his boat.....in the dark.....in timber. For the first solid minute I was praying to Jesus, Buddah, Allah and anything in between saying if I just live through this ride I'd walk back to the ramp. After about a solid minute my adrenaline got pumping and I figured he knew what he was doing so I mind as well hang on and enjoy the ride. Shot my very first 2 man limit ever that day, fun times.
Posted By: Heisman25g

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 01:28 AM

Ahhhh mohunter, the myth, the legend. However, word on the street is that he learned everything from his hunting partner.
Posted By: duckkillah

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 01:36 AM

x10 on all of the above(except for Godevil boats, they are tin cans)

I ride 3-4 days per week when I'm home. I take pleasure in leaving my passengers white-knuckled and trying to steer from the front of the boat by leaning wildly to one side or the other.

Some people like to feel the wind on their face on a Harley....others prefer to ride 4 wheelers....I want to smell swamp gas!

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Heisman25g
Ahhhh mohunter, the myth, the legend. However, word on the street is that he learned everything from his hunting partner.

That's because you only talk to him, ask him who took him on his first duck hunt about 24 years ago.
I am sure he told you about our 6 man limit Saturday, and sure he said he found that spot too, fun times.

How did ya'll do anyway Saturday?
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Heisman25g

I've heard that same story myself.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Rodney.
\

Rodney post a pic please.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/28/15 07:58 PM

pic of what?

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/29/15 01:43 AM

Your boat

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/29/15 12:06 PM

[URL=http://s538.photobucket.com/user/Butchrps/media/IMG_0064.jpg.html][/URL

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/29/15 12:07 PM

What size is that one?

Good looking rig

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/29/15 12:30 PM

1854 with a 4 stroke Yamaha 70

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/29/15 01:44 PM

That is it, thank you Rodney. That is the set up I have been crowing about. That is as all around as you can possibly get. There is no two ways about it. I have a long history with boats. If I were to go plop cash down on a boat you can bet the last nickel under your couch cushion it would be like that one. A lot of people got hung up in the "I got to go through nothing but mud" craze phase, call it what you will. A lot of people includes me as well. In my defense though, we weren't paying $15,000 for mud rigs. Most of ours were parted together.

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/29/15 06:33 PM

That is it, thank you Rodney. That is the set up I have been crowing about. That is as all around as you can possibly get. There is no two ways about it. I have a long history with boats. If I were to go plop cash down on a boat you can bet the last nickel under your couch cushion it would be like that one. A lot of people got hung up in the "I got to go through nothing but mud" craze phase, call it what you will. A lot of people includes me as well. In my defense though, we weren't paying $15,000 for mud rigs. Most of ours were parted together.

That's what I was gonna get with the hybrid front end but decided to go a little wider for stability on bigger water

If I hunted and fished in timber I would have stayed with that size

Re: Gator trax owners - 01/29/15 06:40 PM

That's what I was gonna get with the hybrid front end but decided to go a little wider for stability on bigger water

If I hunted and fished in timber I would have stayed with that size

I too would have gone for a bigger hull. I was more pointing out the motor tunnel and overall setup.

Re: Gator trax owners - 02/25/15 12:25 AM

Almost ready!!!!

Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/19/15 01:09 PM

Wanted to bring this back up since I'm in the market and have decided on pretty much the same rig as txtrophy85 and Rodney. I'm wondering about motor size, front deck, pods, etc. I'm mainly hunting big water and my Riverhawk has puckered my butt for the last time! Rodney, anything you would change on your rig? Txtrophy85, any words of wisdom for getting the build going? Also, what is the price range on ya'lls rigs. P.M. me if you don't want it public and thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/25/15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
Wanted to bring this back up since I'm in the market and have decided on pretty much the same rig as txtrophy85 and Rodney. I'm wondering about motor size, front deck, pods, etc. I'm mainly hunting big water and my Riverhawk has puckered my butt for the last time! Rodney, anything you would change on your rig? Txtrophy85, any words of wisdom for getting the build going? Also, what is the price range on ya'lls rigs. P.M. me if you don't want it public and thanks in advance for the help.

Changes I would make - delete the gun box and run a cat walk off the left side of the front deck. I would also get the hybrid front end. It was not out when I ordered mine. . My boat is a 1854 with the hunt deck. It does not have a tunnel hull. The boat is great in the timber and open water. It is not great in the rough water. I would call Gator Trax and ask for Kent. He will help you design the boat the way you want it. I am designing a 20-21ft bay/bass boat right now. I will be ordering it from Gator Trax in the next 4 weeks. The price on mine was the low 20's. It was higher because I added the trolling motor, 3 batteries, hydraulic steering and the hydraulic jack plate.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 01:35 PM

Thanks for the info Rodney. Couple more questions...
Why the catwalk on one side?
Why 3 batteries (24v trolling motor?)
I'm looking @ 1762 hybrid w/hunt deck and outboard motor, you think this will handle rough water?
I've been working w/Rick (Homey da Clown) on putting it all together.
Thanks again.
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 02:23 PM

I like the catwalks as well..but enclosed with lids. Run down both sides. Lotta storage, great when fishing. they just cut into the pocket book a little deeper.

Steve, will have that quote to ya this afternoon. I'll add the cats to give you an idea of extra cost.

btw, thinking 18' would be best for you. At only $142 more, you'll appreciate it's load carrying and quicker planning ability.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 03:43 PM

My 2 Cents on this, coming from someone that has a Gatortrax 17x50. I would go with an 18 feet boat and ditch the hunt deck if it was me. If you run any timber at all I would skip the hunt deck.
The hunt decks are "all the rage" with the cool crowd factor but if you run a lot of stumps and timber you will regret it. They do look cool though.

Just ask your salesman what he runs and why, I am sure he can discuss the pros and cons with the hunt deck.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 03:49 PM

hunt deck

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 04:24 PM

My 2 Cents on this, coming from someone that has a Gatortrax 17x50. I would go with an 18 feet boat and ditch the hunt deck if it was me. If you run any timber at all I would skip the hunt deck.
The hunt decks are "all the rage" with the cool crowd factor but if you run a lot of stumps and timber you will regret it. They do look cool though.

Just ask your salesman what he runs and why, I am sure he can discuss the pros and cons with the hunt deck.

By far the most debated option when it comes to these boats. argue lol444 I'll break it down into simple terms.

Yes, if you run ALOT of stumpy areas, rocks, oysters shoals, etc a hunt deck is most likely not the option for you. Why you ask? Mainly because if you crunch enough of those underwater obstructions YOU WILL hook your hull. And it will hook right in front of the subtransom and transom itself---the WORST place you can hook your hull bottom. Why is that you ask? Because at the stern when the bottom of the hull hooks ( dents deeply) , The "hooks" act as "trim tabs" and will cause the stern of the hull to lift up and the bow to push down. Thus putting more bottom surface area on the water than you want, thus creating unwanted drag, thus negatively affecting performance. You will lose several mph and the attitude of the boat handling will be much different, especially when turning. The faster you go the more the nose dives down and stern up. Again, think "trim tab". Trim tabs you aren't going to get rid of with a huntdeck model. Why again you ask? because you cannot get to the "hook" because the huntdeck is fully enclosed and you can't get to the hook from the top side to "beat" it down. Know that this can happen to any aluminum hull, even boats without a hunt deck. But on non-huntdeck hulls you can see the hook pushed up and "beat it back down. It should be noted that if you continuously run obstruction laden waters and could careless about the bottom of your hull as you haul A thru the stump minefield of rocky river without a care and continuously are getting hooks and beating them down, you should know that the integrity of the metal is compromised each time you beat on it. So it becomes that even small strikes on obstructions will begin to hook that area more easily. I tell guys that run heavy-infested areas like that to do one of 2 things or both: First, go to .190 gauge and/or add a couple stringers for more strength. With an outboard package you already gain 1 extra stringer so an extra couple hundred bucks more another one is worth it if ,again, you run the "gauntlet" often.

Now, as to huntdecks with an outboard and CC. IMO, a MUST. Why? Partly because if you don't the top of engine will be riding up your backside as you lean back on your lean post or seat. But also because it will offer a better hole shot, especially with larger hulls. Theres a reason why bass boats are setup this way.

To each his own and if held at gunpoint I'll sell whatever a guy wants. But when asked my opinion, I'll always give my 15 years of experience with these types of boats as to what setup works best, what options are a must, and what options you don't need that you think you do. There is no perfect, do everything you need it to do regardless of the area and situation boat. But you plan/design a boat to handle 90% of any situation and live with the other 10% carefully.

In Yellers case, He wants a CC boat with an outboard to run big, open waters and doesn't plan to run stumpy areas, at least not often, and the man is smart enough to know to throttle down if/when he finds himself in an area like that. His boat will be tailor-fit to his and his only needs. And after all, ain't that the beauty of a 100% custom made Gator Trax boat. Build it the way YOU want it.

And finally, yes, Mo and several others know, I don't run a huntdeck. Why? for the aforementioned reasons. But I have nothing really against them. They just have their place, imo.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 04:30 PM

Thanks Rick and yes on 1862.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 05:51 PM

Great explanation Homey. Love my Gatortrax but I run it like I stole it and yes the bottom looks as such for that reason but still performs very well even though the bottom looks like a washboard. The boat is built like a tank though.

Everyone I know running a mud rig has a dented up hull but that is with all brands, .190 or not, the hooking with a hunt deck just makes the situation worse, once again, great explanation.

Outboard is obviously a different situation.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 07:46 PM

very good explanation, Rick.

amazing how easy it is to make a good recommendation when you know all the facts instead of assuming and shooting from the hip up

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/26/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
very good explanation, Rick.

amazing how easy it is to make a good recommendation when you know all the facts instead of assuming and shooting from the hip up

They don't call him CTJ for nothing.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 01:30 AM

I talked to Kent and he was very honest and not at all pushy when it came to helping me design my boat.

I went with a 1862 big water model with hunt deck (19'6" over all) because in the end I'm gonna fish outta this thing more than hunt. Options I chose were a trolling motor, lean post, led lights, Perko switch, auto bilge pump, front and rear deck storage, led light bar upfront, hunt deck, hybrid front end, rocker panel, 8' power pole, 3 24v batteries, hydro jack plate, hydro steering and a 140 hp Suzuki. Also got a lowrance gps unit installed. .190" hull

Total ticket came out to $33,500 or therabouts

I am picking it up Saturday and hope to have it on the water Sunday

I looked and looked even after I ordered it and I still came out about $15k cheaper than a similarly equipped glass boat with more hp

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 05:50 PM

Txtrophy - let me know what you think of that Suzuki...I am thinking about putting a 175 on my new boat.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info Rodney. Couple more questions...
Why the catwalk on one side?
Why 3 batteries (24v trolling motor?)
I'm looking @ 1762 hybrid w/hunt deck and outboard motor, you think this will handle rough water?
I've been working w/Rick (Homey da Clown) on putting it all together.
Thanks again.

I would put the catwalk on one side so I could strap my rods to it...tolling motor is 24v...it is a 80lb Fortrex. Rich would be the one to tell you how well the 1762 or 1862 would handle in the rough water. I would get the huntdeck...I stand on mine and fish all of the time..it also is great when you are putting the dogs in the boat. If you are getting a trolling motor I would get the foot controlled motor and have them install a recessed tray in the front deck.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 07:05 PM

Txtrophy - let me know what you think of that Suzuki...I am thinking about putting a 175 on my new boat.

I'm not 100% but I think the hp limit on the 1862 is 150 hp

Suzuki does not make a 150 hence the 140

A lot of guys put 90's and 115's on them

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 07:43 PM

I'm not 100% but I think the hp limit on the 1862 is 150 hp

Suzuki does not make a 150 hence the 140

A lot of guys put 90's and 115's on them

My new boat will be a 2072 I am note sure about the HP rating but I would guess it would take up to a 225

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 09:03 PM

On that size I would imagine it would handle a 225 or a 250 maybe
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 09:39 PM

Suzukie does make a 150, we just ordered one.

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/27/15 09:55 PM

Trophy, you get your boat yet?

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/28/15 01:35 AM

I apologize Chevy, you are correct,they do make a 150hp. I spoke with the owner of gator Trax and we went over every option available and his suggestion was go with the 140 horse, the 10 extra hp would not be worth the 85 extra lbs plus worse fuel economy and cost to pick up an extra 2-4 mph.

I did have the option to buy any outboard and every person suggested a Suzuki in the low to mid hp ratings. I'm definitely a believer in the 4 strokes as well

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/28/15 01:38 AM

I pick the boat up tomorrow, I'm stoked

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/28/15 06:33 PM

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/29/15 02:35 AM

Boat is a joy to be on the water with. Gonna take some minor tweaking to get it just right but it will get there

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 12:07 PM

My uncle has a 140 Suzuki, its been great so far

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 02:13 PM

nice boat up

make sure you strap everything down real good, otherwise it looks like it fall out

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 03:08 PM

Nice looking boat

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 05:16 PM

Here is a better pic that shows off more of the boat

Been on it the past two days it rides great is dry and handles rough water well

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 05:18 PM

Someone please turn picture around

Gracias

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 06:23 PM

Here ya go

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 06:55 PM

That combination is exactly what I have been crowing about. You chose correctly IMHO!

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 07:32 PM

I would love to have a gator trax CC

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 08:16 PM

very nice...enjoy your new ride

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 08:33 PM

I can't say how impressed I am with this boat. It met all my expectations and then some.

This is as close to a "do all" boat as I think you can get
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Gator trax owners - 03/30/15 08:33 PM

Very nice rig.

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/01/15 01:27 PM

nice...very nice
Posted By: Twalk225

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/12/16 04:14 PM

Someone please turn picture around

Gracias

Very nice set-up. I'm looking at the big water edition w/ cc and outboard too, but I would like to see more on the barracuda before I choose. Is that 21" or 24" side walls?

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/13/16 12:32 PM

I can't say how impressed I am with this boat. It met all my expectations and then some.

This is as close to a "do all" boat as I think you can get

up

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/13/16 02:15 PM

I couldn't resist...I love this boat!
It handled big rough water, skinny water loaded w/trees, reeds, etc.
And my pup learned the easy entry on the hunt deck. I wouldn't change anything on this rig (for me).

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/16/16 11:56 PM

What's the barracuda ?
Posted By: Twalk225

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/22/16 03:19 PM

The barracuda is the bay boat that Gator Trax builds. But I have a feeling it'll be out of my price range. Have you had a chance to run your new rig in some heavy chop yet? The one I plan on building will spend alot of time in Toledo Bend and we run into some nasty waters trying to run those boat lanes through a cross wind. What's your sidewall height?

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/22/16 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Twalk225
The barracuda is the bay boat that Gator Trax builds. But I have a feeling it'll be out of my price range. Have you had a chance to run your new rig in some heavy chop yet? The one I plan on building will spend alot of time in Toledo Bend and we run into some nasty waters trying to run those boat lanes through a cross wind. What's your sidewall height?

I got into some rough stuff yesterday. 25 mph winds it was rough. Started gusting to 40 mph and it was touch and go.

Headed to the bank and speared a big wave. Boat filled up with water, I hit the bilge pump and was able to keep it moving forward with the waves pushing the boat. Made it to shore.

I can say that it performed as well as any fishing boat would have in that situation.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Gator trax owners - 04/22/16 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Twalk225

ProDrive SBX
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum