Texas Hunting Forum

Mounting Sprigs - Ideas

Posted By: jaymz

Mounting Sprigs - Ideas - 01/22/15 03:43 AM

So I've been wanting to mount a big bull sprig for a while, just havent had a good one come in. Recently I was on a hunt and two nice ones came in and me and my buddy took 'em out. Now, I'm pretty sure the one I shot was the bigger drake but my friend disagrees, though he can't identify ducks from tweety birds in the air. By the time we were done, we had a mixed bag and it was hard to tell.

I decided I was going to go ahead and either

a: mount the big one with a plaque underneath that says "soandso thinks he shot this bird"
b: mount both of 'em them and come up with a nice rhyme or limerick about the debate.

i guess my question is.. is it gay/weird to have two pintail drakes mounted and should I go with just the one or.. what other ideas might you have?

it's all in fun of course. I guess I could wait till another one comes in.. where I hunt, we don't see many pintails.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Mounting Sprigs - Ideas - 01/22/15 04:30 AM

Sounds like you have a good story to go with a mount. If you can afford it and have the room, do both. Maybe one landing or just landed, with the other one "floating" right above it. Or you could go with a dead mount.

I never was a fan of the dead mounts, but then I started to run out of room and realized I could easily add to dead mount scene. I've got a "scene" with a big piece of driftwood and ducks hanging from that, a lanyard with my old/first calls, and I plan to rest my first shotgun against it too.
Posted By: JoeCowboy

Re: Mounting Sprigs - Ideas - 01/22/15 01:13 PM

depends on the position/pose you have them mounted in whether it is gay or not
Posted By: NTX Waterfowl

Re: Mounting Sprigs - Ideas - 01/22/15 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JoeCowboy
depends on the position/pose you have them mounted in whether it is gay or not

Yep.

Not that unusual to have a mount with more than one drake.
Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker

Re: Mounting Sprigs - Ideas - 01/22/15 06:48 PM

Anybody have the pic of the pintails feeding table mount?

It's like a side table. The table top is water work and one pintail is diving through it. Definitely the most awesome mount I've seen. Can't find the pic on a google search.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum