Texas Hunting Forum

What kind of duck is this?

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 07:26 PM

Snapped some pics while doing some deer hunting....have seen a few dozen of these recently...but never before on this property.

Posted By: kdub

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 07:27 PM

Black bellied whistling duck

There's a bunch of them in S. TX usually under a corn feeder.

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 08:02 PM

yes - they definitely enjoyed the corn feeder! Scared all the deer away!

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 08:12 PM

they tasty?
Posted By: kdub

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 08:22 PM

Not nad at all. We shot a bunch of them a few years ago, about like any other corn fed duck cheers
Posted By: luisfigo

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 08:30 PM

Known as "guichichi" where I am from. The name comes from their particular squeak. Good taste, specially if grain fed. Only duck you see down there 99.9% of the time but for the occasional tourist teals.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 09:58 PM

I've always wanted to shoot one of those but never seen one during season. They are cool looking!
Posted By: garrett

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
I've always wanted to shoot one of those but never seen one during season. They are cool looking!

you should carve a whisler decoy, PKJ up
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: luisfigo
Known as "guichichi" where I am from. The name comes from their particular squeak. Good taste, specially if grain fed. Only duck you see down there 99.9% of the time but for the occasional tourist teals.

Im assuming your not from CS
Posted By: luisfigo

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/21/15 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: luisfigo

Im assuming your not from CS

Ha! Yes, moved up North to study and then work. Love the area though. It was quite the revelation when I realized how many different species of ducks can be hunted here. It was also very surprising the day I was fishing and heard a couple of them guichichis flying overhead. My reaction was: not you guys again!
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/22/15 01:56 AM

We see them early in season south of 20
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: What kind of duck is this? - 01/22/15 02:56 PM

there's about 100 of them in my neighborhood pond. You can shoot them off roofs. I could never get them to follow me to the lease though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum