Texas Hunting Forum

Waders

Posted By: Blue drake

Waders - 01/19/15 12:23 AM

Bought my pair of waders this year. Drake waterfowl mst 2.0. Love them, great fit. Anyways how do people store waders for the offseason.
Posted By: Inky Doc

Re: Waders - 01/19/15 04:15 AM

Give the boots a super thin coat of olive oil and hang them in the guest room closet.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: Waders - 01/19/15 08:22 PM

I dry mine out in the sun for a day and then hang them in my garage or store them in a locker box.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Waders - 01/19/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Inky Doc
Give the boots a super thin coat of olive oil and hang them in the guest room closet.

Add a little oregano, garlic and lemon- Bake for 45 minutes at 475- until tender
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Waders - 01/19/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler

Add a little oregano, garlic and lemon- Bake for 45 minutes at 475- until tender

Don't forget to inject with a secret butter sauce, also
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Waders - 01/19/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasEd
I dry mine out in the sun for a day and then hang them in my garage or store them in a locker box.

What I do
Posted By: Inky Doc

Re: Waders - 01/19/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Greekangler

Don't forget to inject with a secret butter sauce, also

I use olive oil because it has a much more pleasant scent than oils made specifically to lengthen the life of the rubber.
Posted By: bodydub

Re: Waders - 01/19/15 11:16 PM

I armor all the boots and hang them till next season. If I miss a season I stuff them with crumbled newspaper and put them in the closet.........
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 12:40 AM

I clean and dry them and then put them back in the box that they came in. Then they go in a spare bedroom with all the other crap.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 12:56 AM

Pitch them in a corner
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 01:01 AM

Storing them in the garage or attic where summer temps reach 100+ for several days is just going to ruin your waders. I keep my original box and store them in the guest closet over the off season. I usually clean them good and dry them out first. Waders should last for years if properly stored (if you buy good waders).
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 02:32 PM

Wash them off,put armor all on the boots then put in the closet. Used to store in the garage but had issues with the boots rotting and seams splitting. Seem to last longer when I keep them inside.
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 02:59 PM

The best thing you can do is wash off the mud after each hunt and hang them. If you keep them clean, take the mud off of them, and hang them up using boot hangers (store inside in summer), you will be fine. I currently have two pair of waders, one of which is over 10 years old (Cabelas brand) and they are holding up just fine. I bought some new LaCrosse waders last summer will do the same with them. I've been storing waders this way for 20+ years. Eventually they all will need to be replaced because they will breakdown or tear, but you should be ok for a long while by just keeping them clean after hunts.

Personally I wouldn't put anything on them, especially armorall. From my personal experience, armorall contributed to cracked dashes in two of my old vehicles. From what I've read as well as trusted people I have talked to, the stuff is garbage and helped shorten the life of my dashes (one was a 5 year old Tahoe). If you ever get your car detailed at a nice detail shop, you will notice they do not put anything on your dash...they just clean it. There's a good reason for that.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 04:10 PM

I don't use armor-all on my dash because when it heats up in the sun it puts a film on the windshield.

I also don't treat my wader boots, just spray them off each hunt and hang them to dry in the sun for a few hours.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 05:31 PM

just bought some Supermags and the instructions reccomend using a protectant and specifically mentions "such as Armorall" confused2
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 07:07 PM

Use armorall.

Car dashes and waders don't have squat in common. Unless you wear your waders in the Mojave Desert in August.
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
Use armorall.

Car dashes and waders don't have squat in common. Unless you wear your waders in the Mojave Desert in August.

Interesting train of thought, but the common denominator you missed was that armorall, whether used on vinyl or rubber, can have a tendency to dry out the material it is applied to, which is why you constantly reapply it, most commonly to car dashes and tires.

You are better off keeping your waders clean and hung up indoors and out of sunlight, but if you prefer an extra shine, then shine on!
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 09:23 PM

BTW I'm pretty sure they meant to use Armorall on the rubber boot only.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Waders - 01/20/15 11:26 PM

I wash mine, dry them on a boot dryer, roll up a towel in each boot top, fold them up and put them in a tote. Been working for 10+ yrs, no Armor All or olive oil and never an issue.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum