Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Commander Shotgun

Posted By: rob valle

Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 01:31 PM

Well....I bought one. Let me explain! I went to Academy yesterday and they had three of them on clearance sale. I have always used my Mossberg 500 pump for duck and turkey hunting with no complaints other than I feel bad everytime the wood stock gets wet. The one I bought was a Mossberg 930 semi-auto 28" that was camo-dipped. I have never used or owned an automatic so I thought this one would be good. It was marked down to 560.00 from 780.00. Has anyone ever used this shotgun before, and if so, how did you like it? I will be trying it out this evening so hopefully I can provide a good report. And no, I won't be wearing the stupid Willie bandana that it came with. Well....maybe:)
Posted By: Roc

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 02:48 PM

560.00 sounds like it should be the original price because 780.00 is over priced. 200.00 more and you could have gotten a Beretta A300. Doesn't sound like a very good deal.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 02:49 PM

On their website it is listed at $879.00 so heck $560 might be pretty good. I have a buddy that has one at he hasn't had any issues with at all.
Posted By: GigEmAggies

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 03:29 PM

my first shotgun was a Mossberg....never had one issue with it other than it didn't fit me very well.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 06:56 PM

People talk them down quite a bit.. but my huntin buddy wanted a cheap duck gun.. he didn't wanna take his hand-engraved Browning Belgium (documented and certified gift given to his grandfather by the president of argentina many years ago), so he bought a mossberg Maverick for like $180 at academy. He's had it two seasons, treated it like garbage, only cleaned it once, and it works perfect. Great duck guns if you ask me.. can't speak for their semi-autos though!
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 06:58 PM

marketing works!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 07:06 PM

The extra markup on the gun is for the included Willie Robertson head bandana.

Charlie
Posted By: NM-Aggie

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 08:19 PM

I Bought a 935 about 3 years ago. I bought it because it was a Mossberg and because it was a cheap semi-auto. It was a lemon. Various problems included the ejector breaking off, firing pin strikes that only dimpled the primer (about 1 out of 5 shots) and the final straw that broke the camel's back was when it jammed the shell so far into the chamber the action couldn't pull the shell out of it. The rim around the shell was bent where the action had a hold of it, but the action recoiled without the shell. I went straight to Cabela's (where I bought it originally) after the hunt to show them the final problem and request my money back. As a side note, don't take a gun back to Cabela's with a shell in the chamber, even if it is spent. smile That was fun.

Once I got the empty out, Cabela's was great about it and gave me a refund which I promptly used on a Nova. Decided I didn't need a semi-auto after all. That's been a fantastic gun.

I bought the Mossberg based on the reputation of them. I don't know of anyone who has ever had a problem with a Mossberg pump. I didn't know anyone else who had one of their semi-autos but figured it would be sufficient. I didn't expect a $1,000 gun but I didn't expect all of the problems either. It was back to Mossberg twice for repairs and I hadn't even put 100 rounds through it. Mossberg was good about repairing it and they never argued with me about fixing it. Cabela's mailed the gun back to them both times without charging me for shipping. Mossberg customer service was great. I just happened to get a lemon.

I'm soured on Mossberg, but like I said, I don't know of anyone who has had the problems I had with a Mossberg gun.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 08:28 PM

Let me let you guys in on a little secret. Mossbergs suck almost as bad as 870's
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 08:34 PM

here we go...
popcorn
Posted By: rdh1

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 08:34 PM

if you are happy that is what counts
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 09:28 PM

Take it back and get a refund.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
Let me let you guys in on a little secret. Mossbergs suck almost as bad as 870's

So, Mossbergs are great guns?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 09:49 PM

Shoot the gun and see how you like it before you listen to reviews. Had a Mossberg pump that I passed on to my brother... when it started getting a little rough while hunting id put it under the water and rack it a few times.. still shoots strait
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Shoot the gun and see how you like it before you listen to reviews. Had a Mossberg pump that I passed on to my brother... when it started getting a little rough while hunting id put it under the water and rack it a few times.. still shoots strait

haha...I wanted to know what was "censored"

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TXPride

haha...I wanted to know what was "censored"

roflmao I went back and saw the censored and was sitting there staring for a second until... OHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:39 PM

Well I'm hunting right now with it and so far it has been cycling just fine. One coot down to break in the gun but no ducks yet. Hopefully they will come in soon.
Posted By: aquaholic1822

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: NM-Aggie
I Bought a 935 about 3 years ago. I bought it because it was a Mossberg and because it was a cheap semi-auto. It was a lemon. Various problems included the ejector breaking off, firing pin strikes that only dimpled the primer (about 1 out of 5 shots) and the final straw that broke the camel's back was when it jammed the shell so far into the chamber the action couldn't pull the shell out of it. The rim around the shell was bent where the action had a hold of it, but the action recoiled without the shell. I went straight to Cabela's (where I bought it originally) after the hunt to show them the final problem and request my money back. As a side note, don't take a gun back to Cabela's with a shell in the chamber, even if it is spent. smile That was fun.

Once I got the empty out, Cabela's was great about it and gave me a refund which I promptly used on a Nova. Decided I didn't need a semi-auto after all. That's been a fantastic gun.

I bought the Mossberg based on the reputation of them. I don't know of anyone who has ever had a problem with a Mossberg pump. I didn't know anyone else who had one of their semi-autos but figured it would be sufficient. I didn't expect a $1,000 gun but I didn't expect all of the problems either. It was back to Mossberg twice for repairs and I hadn't even put 100 rounds through it. Mossberg was good about repairing it and they never argued with me about fixing it. Cabela's mailed the gun back to them both times without charging me for shipping. Mossberg customer service was great. I just happened to get a lemon.

I'm soured on Mossberg, but like I said, I don't know of anyone who has had the problems I had with a Mossberg gun.

my 870 jammed a shell this dove season....didnt notice a shell didn't eject, racked another one (now i have a spent shell in barrel and live round in chamber) pulled the trigger and thank god all it did was click or i wouldn't have a face right now

bought an a300 the next week.

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: aquaholic1822
Originally Posted By: NM-Aggie

my 870 jammed a shell this dove season....didnt notice a shell didn't eject, racked another one (now i have a spent shell in barrel and live round in chamber) pulled the trigger and thank god all it did was click or i wouldn't have a face right now

bought an a300 the next week.

How in the world did you not notice jamming a spent shell further into the barrel.. I don't even understand how that would happen with the brass

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:46 PM

lots of birds, shot, and as fast as i could racked another shell to shoot again.....dog on me all you want, it happened and will not happen again

edit: and i didn't jam it into the barrel, it was just stuck....something pretty common in 870's

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:49 PM

lots of birds, shot, and as fast as i could racked another shell to shoot again.....dog on me all you want, it happened and will not happen again

edit: and i didn't jam it into the barrel, it was just stuck....something pretty common in 870's

Not doggin im just trying to figure out how you had a spent round in the chamber and then you were able close the action with a new round in also.

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:51 PM

Not doggin im just trying to figure out how you had a spent round in the chamber and then you were able close the action with a new round in also.

i wish i could tell you....i watched birds fly after that

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:53 PM

That would not have happened if he had bought a Duck Commander Mossberg like me.

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:54 PM

So that shut you down for the day?

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 10:57 PM

[quote=aquaholic1822]lots of birds, shot, and as fast as i could racked another shell to shoot again.....dog on me all you want, it happened and will not happen again

the thought of the gun going off in my face did
Posted By: chalet

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/13/15 11:41 PM

About the only way that could happen is if you loaded a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge chamber....

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: chalet

About the only way that could happen is if you loaded a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge chamber....

unfortunately that wasn't the case....there were 2 other witnesses
Posted By: b1c2r3r4

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 05:28 AM

Never had a problem with my 870 but I short stroke my benelli nova some. I guess I am not use to a big gun. nuts
Posted By: clydeg

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 12:38 PM

Been shooting a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl model (not the duck commander version) for about 5 years now and its been flawless. Only time I've had any issues is if the gun gets soaked in water and not cleaned before the next trip, it doesn't cycle reliably. Don't really think that's a fault of the gun though. The only negative I can see is you don't get the same coolness points as if you had a "B" gun.

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 03:08 PM

Well I got to fire 7 or 8 rounds through it yesterday. Twice I went to pull the trigger and "Click"! It appeared the gun did not fully seat the shell. Not sure if it was because the gun was new? I will give it a good cleaning and maybe I can re-try it this weekend. By the way, the hunting was a bust. One coot and two ringnecks. I think they flew farther south! Anyway, I have never owned an automatic before, so I thought this one would be a good mid range shotgun to start with.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: rob valle
Well I got to fire 7 or 8 rounds through it yesterday. Twice I went to pull the trigger and "Click"! It appeared the gun did not fully seat the shell. Not sure if it was because the gun was new? I will give it a good cleaning and maybe I can re-try it this weekend. By the way, the hunting was a bust. One coot and two ringnecks. I think they flew farther south! Anyway, I have never owned an automatic before, so I thought this one would be a good mid range shotgun to start with.

Hope it works out for you but that "Mossberg Click" has got to be a very common problem. I bought one in 1990, had so many problems with it as others did, you would think they would have made them better by now but apparently not.
Works 90% of the time, it's the other 10% that will piss you off.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet

unfortunately that wasn't the case....there were 2 other witnesses

Could be you got some really, really crappy 12 gauge ammo then I guess. There is no possible way I can think of you can fully chamber a loaded round in an 870 on top of a jammed empty hull short of catastrophic ammo failure of the jammed empty that somehow allowed it to shrink and move a couple inches up the bore. There is just not space for it to happen.

Shotguns jam, it happens. It is pretty hard not to notice when it does on a pump. You don't hear the hollow sound of the hull eject, the action doesn't close(which feels and sounds different than when it does) and therefore the forearm doesn't slide all the way up like it should. There should have been some "somethings not right" alarms in your head before you tried to pull the trigger again.

May be time to slow down and pay attention next time instead of blaming it on the gun.

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 05:11 PM

did you clean the factory grease off of it and wipe it down good?

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 05:11 PM

before you shot it I mean

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 05:26 PM

I am going to guess, not.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 05:30 PM

My 870 was doing the same thing - a couple fixes I found online were to replace the extractor - http://www.rem870.com/2012/10/16/remington-870-non-mim-machined-extractor/ and polish the bore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaeYvXRt4WE

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 05:53 PM

No, it went straight from the box to the blind. Do u think that may have caused it?

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 06:05 PM

No, it went straight from the box to the blind. Do u think that may have caused it?

Iv always cleaned every gun I get when I buy it other than the inside of the barrel for a few rounds. I don't know if all brands put factory grease on them but I would think so to keep from rust while on the shelf. Also theres no telling how long and what kind of conditions it sat out in and how well it was kept until the time of purchase so always a good idea

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 07:03 PM

That can most definitely be the problem. When the guns are built and shipped they put a preservative on them that is kind of greasy and sticky, it is called something but I do not remember the name.
When you buy a new gun the entire gun needs to be taken apart and cleaned very good then oiled lightly. Without doing this you will more than likely have problems eventually cycling shells.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Duck Commander Shotgun - 01/14/15 07:09 PM

I have been shooting a 935 for 4 years now with no issues at all. The gun was on clearance for less than $400.00 when I bought it and it was money well spent. JMO, but it works for me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum