Texas Hunting Forum

Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease

Posted By: Barasingha

Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 02:30 AM

I shot a nice drake wood duck this AM. When I went to clean it I first thought it was full of maggots. After some research I found it had what is known as Sacrocystis or rice breast disease. Apparently, it is a parasitic infection. When ducks get it they apparently don't look or act sick as I can attest from this bird. The cysts occur in the skeletal muscles.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 02:33 AM

Yepp I have seen it a few times. Grosses me out
Posted By: Guy

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 02:35 AM

Hard core duck hunters eat that.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 02:39 AM

If you fish the coast, check the next trout you clean. Most of them have worms that look like that through the fillet. Doesn't bother me in fish though, just ducks.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 02:51 AM

See it a few times a year in North Texas birds
Posted By: Corn

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 03:02 AM

First green head of the season had rice breast
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 03:26 AM

For reference, don't think you can feed it to the dogs.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 03:28 AM

Just protein
Posted By: JoeCowboy

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
See it a few times a year in North Texas birds

Ive had a few this year as well in east Texas
Posted By: bobcatt

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 04:23 PM

seen it many times and can't bring myself to eat it
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 04:49 PM

Is it crayfishseason yet?

Dang nugget bang
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Barasingha
I shot a nice drake wood duck this AM. When I went to clean it I first thought it was full of maggots. After some research I found it had what is known as Sacrocystis or rice breast disease. Apparently, it is a parasitic infection. When ducks get it they apparently don't look or act sick as I can attest from this bird. The cysts occur in the skeletal muscles.
Yup. All ducks are subject to it but diet makes pintails, teal, and shovelers more susceptible to it.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 05:01 PM

I have seen a lot of it in GWT from a particular lake a few years ago. Seemed like a third of them had it. I know it isn't harmful, but... sick
Posted By: Guy

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 05:14 PM

Common you guys, do not throw away that meat, that is wanton waste. Some say those little parasites don't taste good, but they just don't know how to cook. The key is to not overcook them, or they get chewy and get stuck in your teeth. Cook'm rare to med-rare... when you bite down on one and it pops, you know you cooked them just right. food
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
If you fish the coast, check the next trout you clean. Most of them have worms that look like that through the fillet. Doesn't bother me in fish though, just ducks.

yup. I'll fry a trout fillet full of worms but when I see that in a duck it just creeps me out.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/13/15 09:35 PM

I ain't eaten worms....fish, duck, pig, babe, etc, if it has worms, I ain't puttin my mouth around it.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/14/15 01:42 AM

Sashimi thin cut with razorblade
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Sacrocystis or Rice Breast Disease - 01/14/15 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Common you guys, do not throw away that meat, that is wanton waste. Some say those little parasites don't taste good, but they just don't know how to cook. The key is to not overcook them, or they get chewy and get stuck in your teeth. Cook'm rare to med-rare... when you bite down on one and it pops, you know you cooked them just right. food

Yum! Sounds delicious. barf
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum