Texas Hunting Forum

Two very different solo hunts

Posted By: LarryCopper

Two very different solo hunts - 01/09/15 04:20 PM

Wednesday make the death march to a spot that should have been perfect for the wind. Only problem is no (good) dux wanted to be there. Didn't even see any moving around. Really slow. So slow I had to do what I had to do and choot take turds. Ended up with four. But saw nothing else, rare for this place.

Today the alarm went off and I thought about bailing. Icy days are usually either feast or famine and sleeping in is easy when you're hunting alone. Glad I didn't. Got a bit clammed up on the walk, which got cold pretty quick, but breaking a hole in the ice worked out. I found out the sled works great as an ice breaker. No picking up my feet to water level to kick the ice. Used it to get the hole open, too. The wind was perfect. Kept the hole open and the dekes were swimmin' great.

10 minutes and got out of there. Could have been done a couple minutes earlier but let the poor dumb little GWT swim around with his new buddies. A pair of mallards came in, got the green and got out. Hoping I got out fast enough to take my son out in the boat tomorrow.

And yes, the camera did use the flash. It was still 10 minutes til sunrise. cheers
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Two very different solo hunts - 01/09/15 04:32 PM

Nice
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Two very different solo hunts - 01/09/15 07:08 PM

Very nice. I made a death march today as well, only I didn't have such a great morning. One of those morning I wished I had slept in, but there's always tomorrow. Congrats!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Two very different solo hunts - 01/09/15 11:13 PM

Haven't had me a good death march in a while.
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Two very different solo hunts - 01/10/15 01:11 AM

It's always nice when you get a little reward for the hard work. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum