Texas Hunting Forum

Cold Front

Posted By: BULSPRG

Cold Front - 12/31/14 01:00 AM

Where are the ducks?? I have hunted hard the last two days in anticipation of this artic front and I have seen zero new ducks! Yes, I hunt public but I have been avoiding the weekends and I'm still not seeing any decent duck numbers. Last two days I haven't had anyone around me at all and all Im seeing are the call & decoy shy ducks we have had for the last month and a half. If they don't come tomorrow ahead of this cold I think the season could be done for us. Ugh!! bang
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 01:10 AM

You should give up.

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 01:12 AM

Not gonna happen! I'll keep after em until the end. Just frustrating when you see weather like this and no new ducks.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 01:22 AM

I saw the more ducks when the highs were in the mid 60's. I don't get it.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 03:39 AM

wait a few days.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 05:02 AM

Need to be on the coast man. Or the prairie
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 05:10 AM

All of my tanks are covered up. Happens every year after the guys punishing the lake west of me run the Ducks off, a lot head to the tanks.

Will be hunting them in the morning.

Good luck to you.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 10:18 AM

They are here, just keep looking.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 02:08 PM

The birds flew right on by you and are on the coastal prairies. Huge flights came down over the last few days.
Posted By: txbowhunt7

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 02:48 PM

I've still got the redheads Evan! Lol
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: _Scooter_
wait a few days.

Yup
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 08:21 PM

Covered up with Canvasbacks and Redheads on the tanks in East Texas. We limit on Canvasbacks in the first 5 or 10 min, making for an interesting hunt avoiding them as they bomb us.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 10:16 PM

We saw hundreds of honkers, sprigs and reds this morning as well as mallards and some buffs. The next few days should be much better.

Bullsprig, pm inbound....
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BULSPRG
Where are the ducks??

If, and only if, the cold weather holds expect the peak migration of the year in Texas to begin on or about January 26, a day after the boys in Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma shut down their ground water pumps to mark the close of their season. Should be a good time in Texas to do some bird watching and waterfowl photography with the drakes in breeding plumage…

Blue Moon
Posted By: Toledo

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 11:00 PM

Forget about cold fronts. Hunt the calendar and rain/new water.

Re: Cold Front - 12/31/14 11:57 PM

Kevin. looks like I'm going to have to wait until next year to get that Bull Red mad. Wal, I have been thinking that most of the year. Ducks are over flying us and heading to the prairies due to the low water situation here in NTX. Yes, we have some but nothing like last fall according to what I have been seeing. Today was better and I got my fair share but still didnt see any good numbers.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Cold Front - 01/01/15 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: BlueMoon
Where are the ducks??

If, and only if, the cold weather holds expect the peak migration of the year in Texas to begin on or about January 26, a day after the boys in Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma shut down their ground water pumps to mark the close of their season. Should be a good time in Texas to do some bird watching and waterfowl photography with the drakes in breeding plumage…

Blue Moon

Maybe we should all just sell our guns, and take up photography...
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Cold Front - 01/01/15 01:36 AM

That's a great idea Guy. Less competition for the guys that will hunt to the bitter end regardless of conditions. up
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Cold Front - 01/01/15 01:54 AM

It should be in the high teens with freezing rain in the morning. We are going to give it a go though.

I have a feeling our lake will be some of the only open water around. Hopefully it will push all the ducks off small tanks and over to our place.

Early season and just before the split we had very large numbers in the thousands. It's been a slower second season but we have high hopes for in the morning.
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: Cold Front - 01/01/15 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: BlueMoon
Where are the ducks??

Blue Moon

Maybe we should all just sell our guns, and take up photography...

I recommend both a Canon and Benelli in your waterfowl quiver. The dog loves the six ducks a day you can shoot with your Benelli however if you enjoy shooting after the first six drakes fall from the sky, the Canon lets you shoot hundreds of ducks or thousands of geese depending on where you hunt. To my earlier point, whether you’re shooting your Benelli or Canon, hunting is much more productive if you hunt where the ducks are…

Blue Moon
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Cold Front - 01/01/15 02:21 AM

You're a master of the obvious Blue Moon, I mean that's some seriously profound [censored]. Who would have thought that hunting would be better where the ducks are.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Cold Front - 01/01/15 02:46 AM

BM my last cannon you recommended for me about 5 years ago is on its last leg, need to get another.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum