Texas Hunting Forum

Hybrids, why the excitement?

Posted By: Guy

Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 12:53 AM

Never understood the excitement of shooting a hybrid duck. It is a messed up duck, you have a duck that screwed the wrong duck, and had a messed up baby duck. God did not intended for these 2 ducks to screw, right? So why is this good? I'm sure I'm missing something.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 12:57 AM

Posted By: drakedoctor

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 12:58 AM

If you had killed one Guy, would your thoughts be the same? It's pretty simple, they are more rare than a banded duck.

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: drakedoctor
If you had killed one Guy, would your thoughts be the same? It's pretty simple, they are more rare than a banded duck.

Nope. And I would not mount it either. But that is just me. I thought there might me more to it, other than 1 duck screwed the wrong duck.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:08 AM

The wood duck crosses look really neat.
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy

Nope. And I would not mount it either. But that is just me. I thought there might me more to it, other than 1 duck screwed the wrong duck.

When you shoot one-I'll take it. Just getting in the game early.....
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:14 AM

Lol have you been stuck in the house to long?? I never got the band hype either.. But I sure grab those legs everytime I pick one up
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:21 AM

I am pretty fond of my "Brewers" duck. Have shot other hybrids, but this was my first one to mount.

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Lol have you been stuck in the house to long?? I never got the band hype either.. But I sure grab those legs everytime I pick one up

Well recovering a band is a good thing. What is good about a cross bred duck? Other than it being rare? Nothing wrong with posting a pic of your mess-up ducks, and having discussion about what duck screwed what, but to mount a deformed duck I do not get. They are mutt ducks. grin
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:34 AM

What does a wood duck hybrid look like?

A mule deer/whitetail hybrid looks pretty wonky.

The hybrid ducks I've seen have been along those same lines

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

It depends on what wood duck screws.
Posted By: Ty Webb

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645

They're called interlopers, just ask the good reverend.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:09 AM

One of the waterfowl magazines had a article on hybrids a few months ago; one biologist said most hybrids he had checked were mallard crosses. Simple explanation he had for that was mallards were big ducks and natural rapists.

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:09 AM

What if its not voluntary.

What if the wood duck is a victim of surprise sex?
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:14 AM

^ wth lol
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:17 AM

I think Guy just likes to say "screw."

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:19 AM

Nope yes. And I would not mount it either. But that is just me. I thought there might me more to it, other than 1 duck screwed the wrong duck.

Correction above.

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I think Guy just likes to say "screw."

You got me there foosh. grin

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:23 AM

What if its not voluntary.

What if the wood duck is a victim of surprise sex?

Mallards are gang rapist, nothing rare there. Redhead screwing a Canvasback, I guess I can understand the excitement but not for me.

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:36 AM

So does that make a redback or a canvas head?
Posted By: BDB

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:45 AM

Never understood the excitement of shooting a hybrid duck. It is a messed up duck, you have a duck that screwed the wrong duck, and had a messed up baby duck. God did not intended for these 2 ducks to screw, right? So why is this good? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Well I don't think God has anything to do with it. Cross breeding has taking place sense the dawn of time by many many species that inhabit this earth. But I'm with you in that a pure breed looks better to me.
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 06:51 AM

Guy you wouldn't mount this?

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams

Well, that is my favorite 2 ducks all in one, if I was ever going to be tempted, that would be it. But I already have a pintail and mallard mount in my office, as well as a GWT, wood duck, and hooded merg. Gadwall and wigeon next on the list, no plans for cross bred ducks. I like to look at ducks I see every day in the field, and also use as discussion items with non-duck hunters or newbie duck hunters that are guest at my house, a cross bred mount I'm not interested in, that's just me I guess.

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 01:50 PM

Redhead, canvasback, and jack also on the list.
Posted By: jseago

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:09 PM

Can you kill 2 of those, 5 of em, or an average for 3.5??

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jseago

Can you kill 2 of those, 5 of em, or an average for 3.5??

3.5, lol. I would say you could shoot 6, the regs say nothing about limits on mutt ducks. grin
Posted By: MAJKF

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 03:07 PM

I had a gw tell me no limits on mutt ducks. Doubt his peers would agree though.
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: MAJKF
I had a gw tell me no limits on mutt ducks. Doubt his peers would agree though.

The USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) made a final ruling on hybrids in December 2013. The ruling makes it clear all hybrids of any protected species of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, no matter how many generations removed from the wild, are fully protected. That means waterfowl hunting regulations and bag limits apply to hybrids.

How this is enforced in the field is another story. In many states, mallard hybrids count toward your mallard limit. Suppose you shoot a Can x Redhead in Texas, you likely have your one Can. Shoot a Redhead and a Can X Redhead, you’re within limits but shoot another redhead and you’re at the mercy of your friendly GW since he could say you have three redheads; hopefully the hunter would be given the benefit of the doubt. If there was any doubt in my bag limit, I’d start bird watching until a different species came in for a visit.

Some might reason because the regulations state the aggregate limit is six for species not listed, perhaps a hybrid should count toward the unlisted species? Possible, but since the most common hybrids are a mix of one or two of the listed species, unless you really know the difference, I would suggest not taking any chances.

Blue Moon
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 09:36 PM

Guy why you hating on the Mutt ducks. They need some loving too........

The way widgeon and gaddys congregate I'm surprised we don't see more.
Posted By: Thumper9

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 10:08 PM

This is probably the predicable outcome of hens eating wet,fermented corn in the fields every afternoonroflmao
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/30/14 11:08 PM

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/31/14 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
^ wth lol

Too many ducks been watching your Lama peep
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/31/14 12:27 AM

Yet you have something that most who spend years duck hunting will never have. There was a rhyme about a $2.00 duck when I was younger up
What is good about a cross bred duck? Other than it being rare? Nothing wrong with posting a pic of your mess-up ducks.... They are mutt ducks. grin

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/31/14 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Guy why you hating on the Mutt ducks.

Gdogg you know I'm not a hater, just not going to mount a mutt duck. Now a spoonie/ringer hybrid, I might have to mount that just for the CTX crew. grin
Posted By: MAJKF

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/31/14 05:55 AM

Blue moon, thanks for the awesome post. That is the kind of research and info that makes this forum truly worthwhile! clap

(But it's the subtle sarcasm and jokes that keep me coming back)

rofl
Posted By: bhunter

Re: Hybrids, why the excitement? - 12/31/14 06:30 PM

All this talk about mounting and screwing, I think this forum has crossed over to the dark side with all these code words....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum