Texas Hunting Forum

Oakleys 1st

Posted By: Aggieduck

Oakleys 1st - 12/26/14 04:51 PM

Picked up Little Miss Oakley of Texas May of this year and have been "training" her myself since then. Well "life" has actually gotten in the way quite a bit this year, both for good and bad, so I haven't been able to "train" her as much as I'd like. I use train loosely as she is my first dog to try my skills on. Unfortunately for her I know nothing and she'd be a lot better off with someone else, but hey you got to start somewhere. Thus I've given it a decent effort so far and she made her first retrieve on a dove at the opener of the second split.

From there she made her first real duck hunt. She's only 8 months old and is as stubborn as an old woman already. I say this because while she seems to learn and understand most things, though she likes to do them her way. I can't complain one bit, she made every retrieve this day. While not always steady, perfect on obedience, nor willing to listen at times, she saved me a bunch of steps. Seeing that she's as young as she is and hopefully with a lot more time to practice this spring we will get better together. She does have a great drive and a strong motor to get them dern ducks though.

She's come a long way.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Oakleys 1st - 12/26/14 11:39 PM

Awesome! I'm glad she has worked well for you all. My female Izzy is a month along on liter #2, if anyone is looking they are going to be born at the end of January/first of Februrary 👍
Posted By: what

Re: Oakleys 1st - 12/26/14 11:48 PM

Good lookin dog!
Posted By: Madewell

Re: Oakleys 1st - 12/27/14 01:09 AM

Cody, what colors are you expecting? Both myself and a buddy are going to be getting puppies this spring or late winter. Also, what will you be asking for them?
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Oakleys 1st - 12/27/14 03:04 AM

A will have a mixture of Black and Yellows. Full AKC with Master Hunter and Senior hunter lineage. This will be my females second litter, skipping every other heat cycle I have two pups presold and am expecting 8-10 total. I will be getting $800 ($400 deposit) on presales and $900 after birth. Both male and female are great hunters with my male being my main hunting dog as he is a stud with over 5,000 birds under his belt at 5 years old. Pups wil come with full first round of shots and will be available after 6 weeks. Both male and female are great with kids as they love my 3 year old little one.

Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Oakleys 1st - 12/27/14 04:24 AM

The drive is there- congrats. Time to stress obedience. Most top trainers will not even do much bird work until they are pretty steady. Bad habits start early.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Oakleys 1st - 12/27/14 04:56 AM

Awesome, man.

Looks like she is doing fine and will only get better.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum