Texas Hunting Forum

Snobs!

Posted By: Wood Duck

Snobs! - 12/25/14 11:01 PM

The mallards on our place have gotten down right upity! We have had a lot of working birds that just ease off with not Interest in our spread. Any ideas?
Posted By: JRR

Re: Snobs! - 12/25/14 11:10 PM

Sky bust them or shoot early !!
Posted By: REQ

Re: Snobs! - 12/25/14 11:19 PM

Reduce decoys and hide
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Snobs! - 12/25/14 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: REQ
Reduce decoys and hide

THIS, and add a jerk rig.
Posted By: Wood Duck

Re: Snobs! - 12/26/14 12:08 AM

the trick is we are hunting a new stock tank that has flooded into some grass. Sheet water is great, but hiding is a trick. We are adjusting our layout blind placement and working on our aim for now. I'm considering using only a jerk rig with a spreader and 4-6 decoys. It is fun to have birds and working to try and outsmart them. I am an experienced hunter, but they are professional ducks.

We will keep you posted.
Posted By: REQ

Re: Snobs! - 12/26/14 12:34 AM

If there are trees or you can set up in the shade that usually helps IME. Also I have found that big ducks like goose floaters. I will set them up in the open water then a few duck decoys closer to the bank usually.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Snobs! - 12/26/14 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Originally Posted By: REQ
Reduce decoys and hide

THIS, and add a jerk rig.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Snobs! - 12/26/14 04:59 PM

Jerk rig is the ticket.
Also add some vegetation to your blind. Whatever is growing around you will help you blend in.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Snobs! - 12/26/14 05:05 PM

Try a jerk cord
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Snobs! - 12/26/14 05:35 PM

I must jerk it wrong, made a jerk string this year and have noticed 0 difference helping ducks into the decoys. Either they want to be there or they don't it seems. I hunt public that gets pressured a ton, and no one else uses one, figured it would help!
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Snobs! - 12/27/14 05:00 AM

I've never noticed a difference with a jerk rig either.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Snobs! - 12/27/14 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
I must jerk it wrong, made a jerk string this year and have noticed 0 difference helping ducks into the decoys. Either they want to be there or they don't it seems. I hunt public that gets pressured a ton, and no one else uses one, figured it would help!
This seems to be the same for me too
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Snobs! - 12/27/14 10:24 AM

I'd try no deeks and no calling before I tried a jerk rig. Never noticed a huge improvement in numbers from a jerk rig either.
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Snobs! - 12/27/14 02:32 PM

we were hunting last year and seen about 500 birds and couldnt get any to commit to the deeks... my buddys dad walked over a mile back to to the truck and when he got back with jerk rig, next bunch of birds dropped right in
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Snobs! - 12/27/14 02:42 PM

Didn't see Many yesterday, but added goose socks - Canada's as confidence dekes around blind- just a handful- every duck that actually committed sucked right in-
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum