Texas Hunting Forum

Duck and goose summer sausage

Posted By: Bissett

Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/24/14 06:53 PM

I have a few ducks in the freezer and am planning on making them into summer sausage. I added a few geese to the mix and was wondering if I could just mix them with the ducks for the summer sausage. Is this normal or should I do them separately?
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/24/14 07:40 PM

Kuby's mixes the two and then cut 50/50 with pork shoulder. I had a bunch done last year and it was fantastic.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/24/14 07:51 PM

I take all my birds to the processor now, ducks, geese, doves, snipe, whatever. They just mix it all together and add 50% pork. Mmm-mm good. I didn't keep enough birds last year to take to the processor and this year my bag is looking pretty dismal. Hopefully it'll all last in the freezer a couple seasons until I have enough for another processor run.
Posted By: oilag

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/24/14 10:16 PM

I have a pretty good recipe w/ jalenpeno and cheddar. I also have a sheet that will calculate all of the ingredient amounts - all you have to do is enter the weight of duck/geese meat. Shoot me a pm if you want it.
Posted By: DUCKHUNTR35

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/24/14 11:12 PM

we just made German sausage , goose , 50/50 pork and goose excellent
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/25/14 02:26 AM

Awesome thanks for the info. I figured it was all good but just wanted to make sure
Posted By: pprince

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/25/14 05:56 PM

How do you take the duck meat to Kuby's, breasted? This sounds good and I want to try it.
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/25/14 10:09 PM

We get boudin done at 60/40 pork to bird.

Andouille sausage from billideauxs in lake Charles at. 60/40 pork to bird.

Ground meat at 50/50 brisket to bird.

Add 5% cormorant and it adds a kick....
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/25/14 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: pprince
How do you take the duck meat to Kuby's, breasted? This sounds good and I want to try it.

Yep. Just breasted and frozen. I take them a pile after the season (basically everything except for the great table birds). I get hunter sticks, reg. summer sausage, and jalapeņo cheddar sausage made and it's fantastic. Everyone raves about it when they try it, they can't believe its duck/goose.
Posted By: pprince

Re: Duck and goose summer sausage - 12/26/14 03:55 AM

Ok, thanks. I love Kuby's so I'm looking forward to trying some of the duck sausage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum