Texas Hunting Forum

Greenheads on the coast??

Posted By: Teamjefe

Greenheads on the coast?? - 12/24/14 03:16 PM

Who else has been seeing them? I hunt about 15 miles from the bay in Jackson county and one of our wetlands units is holding 500+ mallards. I got a few on Monday, one for the wall. Looking forward to smacking some on Friday!!!
Posted By: RiverRunner

Re: Greenheads on the coast?? - 12/24/14 04:08 PM

Not surprising with how dry North and Central TX has been this year. I've seen it happen before with the dry conditions.

The prairie has water and food.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Greenheads on the coast?? - 12/24/14 04:17 PM

Shot this one in the back lakes of Poc in saltwater

Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Greenheads on the coast?? - 12/24/14 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRunner
Not surprising with how dry North and Central TX has been this year. I've seen it happen before with the dry conditions.

The prairie has water and food.

North texas maybe but centex is far from dry. All the ponds are overflowed, standing water everywhere and the lake is like 15 feet above normal. Centex is actually amazing when it's dry. At least where I hunt.
Posted By: fowlslayer11

Re: Greenheads on the coast?? - 12/26/14 06:46 PM

Shot 3 this year off the coast near Wharton. Seems as if this year has the most green heads on the coast in awhile. Put mine on the wall as well.
Posted By: txbowhunt7

Re: Greenheads on the coast?? - 12/27/14 04:03 PM

Shot wood ducks and mallards on opening weekend over saltwater this year. Strangest thing. Seen a group of mallards on just about every hunt since then. I usually shoot 1 or 2 every year in POC but those hunts are all pintail and wigeon in brackish water so to see a lost mallard here and there never seemed unusual. Having both woodies and mallards in salt in the same weekend and to still be seeing them has thrown me off
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Greenheads on the coast?? - 12/27/14 09:44 PM

We have set a record for mallard numbers this year on our place in El Campo. We killed 35 in the first split alone when generally we will only kill less than five.

It has been a strange season for the mallards. They aren't where they should be.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum