Texas Hunting Forum

RayBob

Posted By: Jimmy Peppers

RayBob - 12/18/14 12:18 AM

My co-worker is taking me duck hunting for the first time. he says he has a secret spot on RayBob and the duck hunting is supposed to be excellent. Anything I need to know before I go so I don't feel like a smuck?
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 12:24 AM

up
Posted By: Guy

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 12:25 AM

Oh boy, fun never ends around here. Someone pass the salt. popcorn
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 12:28 AM

Nope, butter flavor

Make sure you have something Duck Commander: bag, call, beard
Legal time is :45 before Sunrise
Posted By: BadLander

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 12:29 AM

Stay perfectly still!!!!! Do not shoot till he tells you too! Don't look up!
Don't take a duck call! Don't put your hands down when you fall!
Shoot where the duck is going not where it's been!!!!
And Don't EVER post about your x buddies duck hole!!!!!!! Lmao

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BadLander
Stay perfectly still!!!!! Do not shoot till he tells you too! Don't look up!
Don't take a duck call! Don't put your hands down when you fall!
Shoot where the duck is going not where it's been!!!!
And Don't EVER post about your x buddies duck hole!!!!!!! Lmao

thanks for the advice. he is letting me borrow his equipment. also did now know about not posting about duck holes. I will have to apologize to him profusely.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: BadLander
Don't put your hands down when you fall!

Best advise besides lake naming, fall to your knees, its hard to master, but theres nothing worse than a couple wet muddy cold sleves!
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 03:19 AM

Learn your duck IDs.
Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:14 AM

To many hunters it is perceived that lake naming is a sin. To each is own my friend. I hunt private land primarily so i don't get all caught up in it. Many here will get straight up angry if you go around talking about some public lake and how well you did. trust me..

oh yeah...fall to the knees. if your a rookie leave your call at home. and by all means go out and enjoy yourself. duck hunting is addicting.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:17 AM

Dang I thought I was the only one the knew about that spot. Guess I'm gonna have to camp there Friday night.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Dang I thought I was the only one the knew about that spot. Guess I'm gonna have to camp there Friday night.

I'm already camped out in the X

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone

I'm already camped out in the X

No problem. I'll roll in 15 minutes before LST and setup 50 yards down wind.
Posted By: kdub

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 02:10 PM

That's one reason why I don't take co workers

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: PSE-Madman
To many hunters it is perceived that lake naming is a sin. To each is own my friend. I hunt private land primarily so i don't get all caught up in it.

Spend a season hunting public and 99% probability you change your tune. I say 99%, because there are always exceptions.

But I do think Internet forum blabber mouths are not nearly as bad as good ol fashion word of mouth blabber mouths. I have seen ducks move into an area, no one there for days, then the places gets packed, it has got to be word of mouth, and multiplier effect.
Posted By: JRR

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 03:24 PM

There are no secret spots on Ray Roberts, unless one is trespassing over private property to access it and even then the boaters can make it there. Ever shrinking lake making less and less coves/fingers to hunt in, same with Texoma. I see ducks pretty regular in some easy to access spots and no hunters/trucks, makes me wonder if folks figure it's too easy so everybody must hunt there.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 03:29 PM

There are no secret spots on most public reservoirs. The Christopher Columbus days are over.
Posted By: BULSPRG

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 03:51 PM

Here is my take on lake naming, first of all, we all have access to the internet and can research the information needed instantly. The problem is all the new comers that don't take the time to learn about the sport and do it correctly. They internet scout and see a lake named and thats the spot. It is more than evident by the amount of high shooting, really bad calling, setting up on top of another group, walking or boating in at shooting time and general lack of effort I see on a weekly basis on the DFW area lakes. Although some of this will always be around I hope the next outdoor fad comes around soon and these goof balls move on to it.

I have no problenm with new comers, but please learn to duck hunt. This is a tradition rich sport and the resource deserves the respect a true duck hunter has for it. I have tried to teach several guys and all they want to do is look the part and go to the most convient spot they can.
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: PSE-Madman
To many hunters it is perceived that lake naming is a sin. To each is own my friend. I hunt private land primarily so i don't get all caught up in it.

Spend a season hunting public and 99% probability you change your tune. I say 99%, because there are always exceptions.

But I do think Internet forum blabber mouths are not nearly as bad as good ol fashion word of mouth blabber mouths. I have seen ducks move into an area, no one there for days, then the places gets packed, it has got to be word of mouth, and multiplier effect.
up

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:02 PM

on a side note A few years back I took a guy teal hunting on a lake that has become a complete flustercluck since then. It was his first time hunting ducks ever so I didn't think him coming back would be an issue. He never hunts anywhere else than the spot I took him to and seems ok with that. I bumped into him a few weeks ago.. on that spot. And he wonders why I never call him during duck season... Point being, lots of people just want the easy way, and while they probably won't ever kill many ducks, they sure do a good job at messing it up for the rest of us.

The OP wasn't fishing for a spot, but a lot of ppl do, and that is why lake naming causes such a stir
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:10 PM

With mud motors, access points, Google earth, Internet scouting, actual scouting, etc, there are no secret spots on public lakes that close to the metromess. And now that you've lake named there are sure to be people intrigued about this secret spot. Your buddy is going to love you for this post lol
Posted By: wal1809

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:34 PM

I used to be brutal to anyone who would dare mention a lake. It is just pointless at this time in our lives. Duck hunting has changed so much, we ave not and will not be able to stop the tides nor the winds. You dang sure won't be able to stop someone talking about spots. Besides that, there is not square foot of "Nobody knows this spot" left anymore. If you have a spot like that, it is soon going into the crapper. Blab about it and it will be going there quicker than you like. Do as you please, the new Wano is rolling quieter these days. Name a lake and you won't hear a lot from me. Ask a question about a lake or spot and might just tell you a false statement just for shizzles.

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:34 PM

Somebody ought to go off on a tirade and lock this puppy down before somebody starts talking about specific spots. kdub, I had my money on you. You're gettin' soft...

I swore off that lake years ago, but as a matter of principle I don't like seeing them named. On that lake many years ago a "secret spot" (exact location) was named. I had been hunting it. Within a week it went from being all alone or maybe one other group to 10 trucks at the access point. Burned up.

There are two kinds of internet scouters. Some like me that use lake levels, Google maps, controlling authority info and maps, etc to find likely spots to scout. There are others that lurk on forums for locations to hunt.

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:35 PM

Somebody ought to go off on a tirade and lock this puppy down before somebody starts talking about specific spots. kdub, I had my money on you. You're gettin' soft...

I swore off that lake years ago, but as a matter of principle I don't like seeing them named. On that lake many years ago a "secret spot" (exact location) was named. I had been hunting it. Within a week it went from being all alone or maybe one other group to 10 trucks at the access point. Burned up.

There are two kinds of internet scouters. Some like me that use lake levels, Google maps, controlling authority info and maps, etc to find likely spots to scout. There are others that lurk on forums for locations to hunt.

Yessir!

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: larrycooper
kdub, I had my money on you. You're gettin' soft...

Sorry

Wait till I start drinkin tonight Then I'll get this sucker locked.

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub
Originally Posted By: larrycooper
kdub, I had my money on you. You're gettin' soft...

Sorry

Wait till I start drinkin tonight Then I'll get this sucker locked.

It's Thursday, that's crazy talk.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: BULSPRG
......They internet scout and see a lake named and thats the spot. It is more than evident by the amount of high shooting, really bad calling, setting up on top of another group, walking or boating in at shooting time and general lack of effort I see on a weekly basis on the DFW area lakes. Although some of this will always be around I hope the next outdoor fad comes around soon and these goof balls move on to it.

I have no problem with new comers, but please learn to duck hunt. This is a tradition rich sport and the resource deserves the respect a true duck hunter has for it. I have tried to teach several guys and all they want to do is look the part and go to the most convient spot they can.

I couldn't agree more. That's the difference between a duck shooter, and a duck hunter.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 05:28 PM

While I 100% agree with the reason I wouldn't give my location away I think plenty of us here on this site cast stones in glass houses.

Some are fortunate to be taught the proper ways from experienced fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, or friends. Many have not had that luxury. We automatically assume everyone should know better but unfortunately they don't. Instead of taking the opportunity to teach the history and etiquette we berate and chastise them hoping they don't screw up our spot.

I choose to believe the good in people, especially hunters in general, and assume most of these guys have never been taught properly. Choose to teach and not make a clown of yourself on the internet. But then again plenty hardcore hunters only want a picture!

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo
Choose to teach and not make a clown of yourself on the internet.

That's Right guys. The internet is

SERIOUS BUSINESS

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 05:49 PM

SERIOUS BUSINESS

Hey, I thought you were waitin' til tonight to start drinkin'?!?!

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 05:54 PM

Time is theoretical anyways.
Posted By: bhunter

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 06:32 PM

There is no secret spots on any lake because no matter how many spots you find with no boot tracks, shell hulls, or dog paws walk another 30-40 yards and you will find some.....

Key to a "secret spot" is to get there first and pray no one sets up 50yds away.....

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 07:16 PM

SERIOUS BUSINESS

If you get mad about it, you're a rookie, if you can't laugh and joke about it, maybe the Internet is not for you.

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy

SERIOUS BUSINESS

If you get mad about it, you're a rookie, if you can't laugh and joke about it, maybe the Internet is not for you.

I dare you to say that just one more time boxing

Posted By: BDB

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 07:29 PM

While I 100% agree with the reason I wouldn't give my location away I think plenty of us here on this site cast stones in glass houses.

Some are fortunate to be taught the proper ways from experienced fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, or friends. Many have not had that luxury. We automatically assume everyone should know better but unfortunately they don't. Instead of taking the opportunity to teach the history and etiquette we berate and chastise them hoping they don't screw up our spot.

I choose to believe the good in people, especially hunters in general, and assume most of these guys have never been taught properly. Choose to teach and not make a clown of yourself on the internet. But then again plenty hardcore hunters only want a picture!

I get what your saying but etiquette, to me anyway is something within. Teaching should be about decoy spreads, shooting, calling. I think today's "sportsman" ...at least the one's everybody is referring to just don't have it. Its the pepsi generation. I came to duck hunting from bowhunting. I generally assumed 1/4 mile would be a min distance to stay away from somebody. Then I heard/read where 50 to 100 yards is common with the pepsi generation. That just blows my mind.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 08:22 PM

I do not hunt public and there are not many duck hunters around here anyway. I had a guy this morning ask me "where I have been shooting all those ducks" and "I didn't even know anyone hunted ducks around here". That's not the first time I've had that happen this year.

My point is even though I don't hunt public land for ducks, general hunting etiquette and general curtesy would cause me to not do a lot of what y'all are saying goes on these public lakes around the metromess.

I learned how to act and treat people not from growing up in a duck blind. I have learned how to duck hunt by a lot of trial and error, friends with more experience and the internet.

It also helps to have some common sense.

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
I do not hunt public and there are not many duck hunters around here anyway. I had a guy this morning ask me "where I have been shooting all those ducks" and "I didn't even know anyone hunted ducks around here". That's not the first time I've had that happen this year.

My point is even though I don't hunt public land for ducks, general hunting etiquette and general curtesy would cause me to not do a lot of what y'all are saying goes on these public lakes around the metromess.

I learned how to act and treat people not from growing up in a duck blind. I have learned how to duck hunt by a lot of trial and error, friends with more experience and the internet.

It also helps to have some common sense.

Brady Buck for president up

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 08:26 PM

You can put me down in the unfortunate category, pretty much learned everything on my own. And there is probably not a better place to learn etiquette than here on the forum, as well as everything else you need to know about duck hunting.
Posted By: MAJKF

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 08:34 PM

Good for you Jimmy Peppers. Get out there and cut some ducks. Raybob is a big lake, not like you named a secret stock tank!

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 09:23 PM

Ruddy Hen. grin
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Name a lake and you won't hear a lot from me. Ask a question about a lake or spot and might just tell you a false statement just for shizzles.

I giggled.

Re: RayBob - 12/18/14 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimmy Peppers
I will have to apologize to him profusely.

Let us know how that works out. And when you tell him that you posted about his hot lake he scouted on the most popular texas waterfowl forum on the net with over 700 views in less than 24 hrs, have your camera ready and snap a picture of his facial expression, I would love to see it. clap

Oh, and my advice, wait till after the hunt to tell him. Just playing with you, seriously, I would not tell him, you will just piss him off, and it will not help anything.
Posted By: Going Green

Re: RayBob - 12/19/14 10:54 PM

If I were you, I'd skip Ray Bob and go hunt Ray Hubbard. A lot more birds and ALOT less people.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: RayBob - 12/20/14 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Going Green
If I were you, I'd skip Ray Bob and go hunt Ray Hubbard. A lot more birds and ALOT less people.
Posted By: SR025

Re: RayBob - 12/20/14 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Going Green

Dang it don't give away my secret

Re: RayBob - 12/22/14 11:17 PM

Well the hunting was good. We set up just off CR 215 and Blanks Rd. We had a good time for sure.
Posted By: SR025

Re: RayBob - 12/22/14 11:20 PM

popcorn
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: RayBob - 12/22/14 11:30 PM

That is a pretty good spot. My boat leaked like a colander so I didn't go. I spent all Saturday patching holes.

Re: RayBob - 12/23/14 04:34 AM

Well the hunting was good. We set up just off CR 215 and Blanks Rd. We had a good time for sure.

Good to hear! up

I'll have to check that spot out. One question... what do you consider a good hunt?

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 04:47 AM

Good to hear! up

I'll have to check that spot out. One question... what do you consider a good hunt?

15-20 I think

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 04:59 AM

My co-worker is taking me duck hunting for the first time. he says he has a secret spot on RayBob and the duck hunting is supposed to be excellent.

So the secrete spot is CR 215 and Blanks Rd?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 06:07 AM

I thought OP said he was going to apologize for naming a duck hole before he actually named it. Then, instead of just naming the lake, he names the cross streets.

I did not see that coming.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 07:04 AM

Kinda doubled down on it I'd say...
Posted By: KatyHunter

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 09:32 AM

Indian Creek food

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: KatyHunter
Indian Creek food

There were 3 trucks parked there on my way to work this morning and saw headlamps down by water on bridge east of there....area must get pounded, trucks there pretty much everyday during holiday break.
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: JRR
Indian Creek food

There were 3 trucks parked there on my way to work this morning and saw headlamps down by water on bridge east of there....area must get pounded, trucks there pretty much everyday during holiday break.

That's for sure. Definitely nothing secret about that spot. confused2

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Fowlman
Originally Posted By: JRR
Indian Creek food

That's for sure. Definitely nothing secret about that spot. confused2

Well not any more anyway for sure.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 06:19 PM

yawn

TROLL BAIT
a person who attracts trolls and responds to them unknowingly to their scheme; one who falls prey to the phenomenon of trolling in an irc room, forum, or internet voice chat room; a person, place, or website that trolls find a method of attack--especially naive, overly deceptible person.

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 07:53 PM

I talked to my buddy and he said the spot was no secret. He didn't mind me sharing which is why I posted it up for everyone to enjoy. He said someone helped him out when he first started and that someday I would be doing the same. John is a class act and a good friend.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 11:24 PM

Naming road names next to an access spot just takes stupid to a whole new level.

Re: RayBob - 12/24/14 11:35 PM

Anybody with google earth and a Type II map can figure out the roads and access spots. Would I have named my spot, no, but that's my prerogative and he has his.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: RayBob - 01/02/15 04:52 PM

There is nothing secret or sacred about Roberts. Back in the late 80's everyone was having guide cards printed up. All the arguments between clear cutting and no cutting made this one of the most watched lakes in Texas.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum