Texas Hunting Forum

sandhill crane decoys

Posted By: Teamjefe

sandhill crane decoys - 12/15/14 10:06 PM

What decoys do yall use to target these? We have thousands using our plowed up fields on a daily basis and would like to put a hunt together. I know that some use actually taxi'd birds but was curious on the plastic versions.
Posted By: JTS

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/15/14 10:12 PM

The only ones I could find online were sold on ebay. Don't remember the name though.
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/15/14 10:20 PM

They make silosocks for them, but stuffers (the taxidermy birds) are the way to go.

https://www.sillosocks.com/Shopping.asp?CategoryId=85
Posted By: BallerCaller

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/16/14 12:32 AM

x2 on the sillosocks. We use about 4 dozen and a crane or goose call in a winter wheat. Wind at our back, decoys behind us starting about 10 yards because once they are over the top of the decoys they figure it out. We conceal ourselves real well on the fence line or in layout blinds and shoot them as they fly over and they usually are cupped up coming into decoys.

(Cranes)------>>> <<<------(Wind)

^^^^^^^^Hunters^^^^^^^^ DDDDDDDDDDDDecoysDDDDDDDDDDD
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/16/14 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: BallerCaller
x2 on the sillosocks. We use about 4 dozen and a crane or goose call in a winter wheat. Wind at our back, decoys behind us starting about 10 yards because once they are over the top of the decoys they figure it out. We conceal ourselves real well on the fence line or in layout blinds and shoot them as they fly over and they usually are cupped up coming into decoys.

(Cranes)------>>> <<<------(Wind)

How do you talk the cranes into flying into the wind?

Mine are usually like this:

(Wind)------------>>>> (Cranes)------>>> (More Wind)-------->

Shot Range Limit--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/16/14 09:55 PM

+1 for the active demonstrations. We used to shot a bunch of them over our goose spreads. We even spray painted old goose decoys red and grey and put them on taller stakes.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/16/14 10:18 PM

I haven't tried it yet because the birds only hit our field for a short time two years ago. If they come back I am going to buy the pink flamingo's from home depot. $50 for 100 of them or something like that. Paint them and give it a whirl.
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/16/14 11:41 PM

has anyone actuallu ate these things? are they really as good as everone says
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/16/14 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
has anyone actuallu ate these things? are they really as good as everone says

Decent eating if you like dove. Just cut into strips and chicken fried. Now that rib eye of the sky line....they ain't that good to compare to a good steak!
Posted By: bentman

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/17/14 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo
I haven't tried it yet because the birds only hit our field for a short time two years ago. If they come back I am going to buy the pink flamingo's from home depot. $50 for 100 of them or something like that. Paint them and give it a whirl.

that will not work
Posted By: bentman

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/17/14 01:38 AM

when you put crane decoys out you don't need many and make a circle they typically land in the middle
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/19/14 08:55 AM

I have a few and hope to add a few more, but the cranes are not flying through on our lease in young county this year. Or just not yet I hope. Dash looking and dreaming of cranes after watching me dust the shine off with a little flat krylon getting them ready for the season. Those 15 year old Outlaw silhouettes have a terrible shine in the morning sun and are very brittle in the cold. They take a lot of work and repairs, but I can't afford the new ones and don't hunt them enough to upkeep stuffers. I need more full bodies and would like to take some old higdon 5/8s feeders and paint them into cranes. That particular shell has a body profile that looks a lot like a feeding crane to me.

Posted By: DWADR

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/19/14 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: bentman

that will not work

Agreed, those are way too small. Don't waste your money.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/19/14 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DWADR
Originally Posted By: bentman

that will not work

Agreed, those are way too small. Don't waste your money.

Too small? or not the correct posture? Which was my main concern.
Posted By: B23

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/22/14 03:43 AM

If you get some sillosocks crane decoys and use spray paint to make them actually look like a crane (the neck and beak come almost solid black), they work well enough to get the cranes to come in shooting range. They've never landed by mine, but they do come in range to take a look at them.

Where are you located? If you want, I have 2 dozen painted sillosock decoys that I would be willing to let you try out (provided I can tag along for the hunt) if you want to see if they work before spending a couple hundred dollars on them.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/22/14 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By: B23

It also helps to have an electronic crane call.

eek2
Posted By: B23

Re: sandhill crane decoys - 12/22/14 02:35 PM

nm
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum