Texas Hunting Forum

Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting?

Posted By: shalor

Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 01:03 AM

On the advice of the brain trust here(as well as my love for my old Extrema), I purchased the Beretta a 400. I have shot skeet with it and so far really like it. I am wondering what chokes you guys have had the best luck using for ducks? Beaversnipe, I noticed you had some type of extended choke on yours today in your picture? I will probably be shooting this with hevi- metal shells(and yes I am returning mine for replacements due to the recall). Oddly this gun did not come with an improved cylinder choke and I have already ordered one. Was thinking about ordering Briley LM also.
Thanks,
Shalor
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 01:16 AM

thinking aout buying an a400 just to get the Optifade camo pattern. How do you like the shotgun otherwise?
Posted By: Noojen

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 01:22 AM

I purchased a flush IC choke from Beretta and that's what I use for waterfowl.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 01:22 AM

Carson makes a choke for heavy metal ammo and is pretty good. I would spend the money and get the Pattern Master. Pattern Master makes cheap ammo perform like the most expensive ammo.
Posted By: duckboogieman

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Pattern Master makes cheap ammo perform like the most expensive ammo.

Well said.... I used the extended range PM in my new A400 for the first time this weekend. VERY impressed!! No cripples... Folding birds confidently at 45+yds, no longer just a hope and a prayer.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 02:01 AM

For decoying birds i use the extended IC choke from beretta
http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-plus3-4-12ga/c621/

For further shots I use the code black patternmaster
https://www.patternmaster.com/products/5474_12ga_Beretta_Optima_HP_A400_Code_Black_Duck

Been happy with both chokes.
Posted By: shalor

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 02:10 AM

I tried the code black duck pattern master in my old Beretta extrema and I couldn't get it to pattern well with hevi- metal or other non lead shells. It always patterned up and to the left. Even had one of my buddies shoot it to make sure I wasn't jerking it and it patterned similarly. I have always heard good things about pattern master but was reluctant to buy one after that experience. Maybe I should reconsider. I patterned the factory modified choke today with number three heavy metal and it patterned well. I did order a improved cylinder extended choke from Beretta as you spoke of Beaversnipe.
Posted By: southern_fowler

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 04:54 PM

I shoot a pattern master code black "duck" For longer range shooting and a code black timber for everything else. that is with heavy metal 2's for geese and 4's or 6's for ducks. since I switched to the PM I have really been impressed with the way it folds birds up. I will say I did shoot some decoying teal with the "duck" choke and it is to tight, it destroys birds if they are to close. I have also liked both chokes for pheasant hunting you don't have to worry about runners when you shoot those chokes with 1 5/8 number 5 lead.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/01/14 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: shalor
On the advice of the brain trust here(as well as my love for my old Extrema), I purchased the Beretta a 400. I have shot skeet with it and so far really like it. I am wondering what chokes you guys have had the best luck using for ducks? Beaversnipe, I noticed you had some type of extended choke on yours today in your picture? I will probably be shooting this with hevi- metal shells(and yes I am returning mine for replacements due to the recall). Oddly this gun did not come with an improved cylinder choke and I have already ordered one. Was thinking about ordering Briley LM also.
Thanks,
Shalor

Briley extended IC works very well in that gun. You can hunt year round with it.
Posted By: bentman

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/21/14 12:12 AM

1 have 3 A400's the only choke I use is the pattern Master Code Black Duck. I started using it for sporting clays and 5 stand and skeet. I was shooting dove birds this yr at 60 plus yds. The choke is plain filthy
Posted By: MBraun

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/21/14 08:53 PM

I use two different Patternmasters. The Anaconda and The Extended Long Range. Love the Extended Long Range. I call it "The Cheese Grater"
Posted By: Ty Webb

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/21/14 09:42 PM

My 'test run' with the extended range patternmaster shooting lessers in Kansas made me a believer.
Crushing geese at 50 yds vs factory chokes is very noticeable.
I was shooting Hevi-metal #2s.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/21/14 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P.
My 'test run' with the extended range patternmaster shooting lessers in Kansas made me a believer.
Crushing geese at 50 yds vs factory chokes is very noticeable.
I was shooting Hevi-metal #2s.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Beretta A400 best choke for duck hunting? - 12/22/14 12:44 AM

In my opinion you are generally wasting money to just go out and buy aftermarket chokes to replace those that already come with the shotgun, particularly for ones like the A400.

Take a box or two of your favorite shells and go hit the pattern board. The results may be surprising.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum