Texas Hunting Forum

If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks?

Posted By: DoveMaster

If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 08:42 PM

If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks?

Any guys have good wise experience on this one? I have a medium action fishing pole, and wondering what everyone that retrieves with that are out of reach?

I know i need a good dog, but for now asking about this
Posted By: lodell23

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 09:05 PM

I use a big spook and pinch the barbs in

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 09:07 PM

do you pinch them in so that it still grabs the duck, but so you can get hooks out i guess?

do those float? how long are the ones you use, that work good?
Posted By: BadLander

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 09:14 PM

Waders!!!!!!!!!

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 09:18 PM

Badlander, i have some already, talking about the shots just out of reach in deeper water... sorry, should have said that earlier, thought i had, but guess not...
Posted By: DeerBeAfraid

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 09:22 PM

Largest Spook size you have, 3 treble preferably. If you weight the back end by using a very large/heavy hook it makes snagging much easier because the nose will be angled upward. Heavy line is essential
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 09:29 PM

Spook
Posted By: sallysue

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 09:31 PM

Some type of top water
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 10:01 PM

Same here, Zara Spook
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 10:13 PM

Super spook!!
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/27/14 10:34 PM

Ferguson tripple hook
Posted By: KevinL

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/28/14 01:40 AM

Zara spook is what I always used. That's why my dog's name is Zara now.
Posted By: fgdn

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/28/14 02:02 AM

practice your calling

get them close enough, they drop where you what them

aim
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/28/14 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
Spook

Spook. Saltwater size
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/28/14 06:34 AM

We used to make something similar to this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FETCH-IT...=item43cf0644d7

Ours had 3 wire hooks on the end, looked like a grappling hook Body was made out of Styrofoam, the wires twisted together and shoved up a hole drill in the middle. We had to add weight to it to get some distance. With a Zebco 33 you could fling that sucker across the country. Foam at Hobby Lobby, wire from coat hanger.
Posted By: Wood Duck

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/29/14 12:00 AM

I recommend you consider getting a dog. It beats toting fishing rods and it improves the overall experience.
[img:center][/img]
Posted By: JThoele

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/29/14 12:11 AM

I have used a spook many times, but the best was an big old prop bait with triple trebles . It cast far in the heavy winds and tracked truer across the water surface than a "walk the dog" bait such as a spook, this made it easier to precisely snag birds in.
Posted By: RayB

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/29/14 12:34 AM

If you're going to carry one, here you go
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HDKOHY/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=4963343191&ref=pd_sl_6vn3rkd7yk_b roflmao
Posted By: Guy

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/29/14 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

lol, man I remember those from 70's, they must be good been around all this time.

Hunted w/o dog many times, and I always just pick my shots so bird lands where I can get it.
Posted By: MBraun

Re: If you don't have dog, what is best fishing lure to retrieve ducks? - 11/29/14 01:39 AM

I use a jitterbug that I put bigger hooks on
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum