Texas Hunting Forum

Weatherby SA-08

Posted By: Tinkle

Weatherby SA-08 - 11/27/14 04:23 PM

Been looking into getting the SA-08? Was wondering what yall think about it and if it's not just a cheap gun? Plane to use it for dove, duck, and turkey.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/27/14 05:20 PM

Bought a 20 gauge for my daughter, she loves it.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/27/14 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
Bought a 20 gauge for my daughter, she loves it.

Same here, and I've borrowed it a few times and love it!
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/27/14 09:46 PM

Have shot a lot of ammo through my SA-08. It puts lead down range just fine and no complaints.

However, I'd recommend saving your lunch money for another 2 months and buy a Beretta A300 instead. The workmanship and semi-auto system is much better on the A300. Definitely worth a little extra money for the A300. Best value semi-auto on the market in my opinion.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/27/14 10:44 PM

For the cost of that SA-08 I'd buy a Stoeger M3000. The camo versions come in APG or Max-5 and can be had for $549 out the door. Add the Stoeger $50 rebate (thru Dec 31st), that drops the price to $499 before tax.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/27/14 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
For the cost of that SA-08 I'd buy a Stoeger M3000. The camo versions come in APG or Max-5 and can be had for $549 out the door. Add the Stoeger $50 rebate (thru Dec 31st), that drops the price to $499 before tax.

+1
I have a M3000 and it is a workhorse!
Posted By: little nate

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/28/14 02:13 PM

I'll take the weatherby over that stoger every day and I love my weatherby cleans extremley easy after the day of redheads you could barley see the black finish took a little rem oil and elbow grease clean as a whistle but if you have a little more money go with the beretta I've had my weatherby for while not 1 issue
Posted By: Skilletshot

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/28/14 02:37 PM

I have two of them I bought on sale a couple of years ago. Both have been flawless. My son has out grown the youth 20 gauge so I bought a stock pad to help extend the length. So now I shoot the 20 and gave him the 12. I love the light short barrel 20ga for the long death march through the swamp. I only used my Benelli one time last year and stuck with the 20ga SA-08 for all duck hunts.
Posted By: tjhook

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/28/14 06:23 PM

Isn't the SA 08 made by a Italian gun maker. I heard they out sourced there shotgun like to Italy for better quality. Better get em now at the price they are the next model are gonna be up there in price.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/28/14 07:04 PM

It's not really a Weatherby, but I have one and it is awesome. I shopped for two months and looked at about 11 diff semi autos. It fit me better than the winchester, rem 1100, Stoeger, and a lot of others. Mine is 12ga and I bought it mainly for dove and pheasant. With the wood stock, it looks very good too. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/29/14 03:20 AM

My nephew has been shooting the 12Ga for two years now and likes it.
Posted By: Tinkle

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/30/14 03:00 AM

Awesome, thank you for all the comments!
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/30/14 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: tjhook
Isn't the SA 08 made by a Italian gun maker. I heard they out sourced there shotgun like to Italy for better quality. Better get em now at the price they are the next model are gonna be up there in price.

Negative ghostrider... If nothing has changed in the past few years, Weatherby SA-08 shotguns are manufactured in Turkey by ATA.

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/30/14 09:39 PM

Rgr that chief. I may have stated it like a question but it wasn't.

Current Weatherby shotguns are made in Italy through a collaborative effort with Italian gunmaker Fausti Stefano.

So the new SA 08 are the old price we expect but alot better performance then weatherby is k ow for. Get em while there cheap. In a few years there sell used for more then new after they upgrade the line.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/30/14 10:52 PM

Fausti??? holy cow! moving up a bit I'd say. Just for the record, there's nothing wrong with Turkish shotguns- Thanks for the info tjhook
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 11/30/14 10:59 PM

Clean your Weatherby all you want, you don't have to do piddly things with a Stoeger
Originally Posted By: bird boy
I'll take the weatherby over that stoger every day and I love my weatherby cleans extremley easy after the day of redheads you could barley see the black finish took a little rem oil and elbow grease clean as a whistle but if you have a little more money go with the beretta I've had my weatherby for while not 1 issue

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 12/01/14 03:14 AM

Of course scoot there not bad guns at all. I thought it was crazy the direction they went. Well play weatherby. The name is just not a popular name for shot guns but i guess now it should be
Posted By: little nate

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 12/01/14 03:16 AM

i like stoegers ive used a condor for dove for years and love it but their semi's below the # 3500 has been CRAP to me JAMS, MISFIRE ,WONT EJECT thats every one below the 3500 but I like my 3500 never had an issue the weatherby just fits me better
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 12/09/14 10:01 PM

Have you used the 3000?
i like stoegers ive used a condor for dove for years and love it but their semi's below the # 3500 has been CRAP to me JAMS, MISFIRE ,WONT EJECT thats every one below the 3500 but I like my 3500 never had an issue the weatherby just fits me better
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 12/10/14 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: tjhook
Rgr that chief. I may have stated it like a question but it wasn't.

Current Weatherby shotguns are made in Italy through a collaborative effort with Italian gunmaker Fausti Stefano.

So the new SA 08 are the old price we expect but alot better performance then weatherby is k ow for. Get em while there cheap. In a few years there sell used for more then new after they upgrade the line.

The SA 08 is not made by Fausti. It is made in Turkey. Weatherby made significant investments in a factory in Turkey and own the action and gas system. These are very good guns that are trouble free and handle and shoot well.
The only guns that Fausti ever made for Weatherby were over unders and side by sides and that relationship was ended in 2012.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 12/11/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Have you used the 3000?

I've had both, and had a few issues with the 3000, and had to send the 3500 back to the manufacturer several times, got the A300 and never looked back. If I was gonna spend 550$ ish on a gun, I'd save another 50 and put it towards the a300, unless your only looking for a 20ga 2cents
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Weatherby SA-08 - 12/11/14 03:06 AM

You would be very happy with the Weatherby SA08. It is a great shotgun for the money.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum