Texas Hunting Forum

First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf

Posted By: Fishuhalik

First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/27/14 04:35 AM

Finally got a full day off & got out. Picked a spot that looked good on my Navionics map & started walking. It was almost a mile out but it was only thigh-deep at most with a nice sandy bottom. Saw more birds than I thought I would. Mostly pins. Whiffed on a flock of reds. Here was my take for the day.

Hooked up with a local buddy that had been fishing earlier & he took me gigging for drum. Man was that a ball!! Here was our total for the day, plus the fish he caught. I only got 1 & had 1 shake my spear.

I just moved down to Texas this year & I think I'm loving it!! It was 8 degrees back home yesterday & buddies were posting ice fishing pics. They can have it!!
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/27/14 04:50 PM

Good time there!!!
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/27/14 04:55 PM

Congrats
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 12:07 AM

Soooo you just walked out and hunted someone else's blind that they built?
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Txcatman1
Soooo you just walked out and hunted someone else's blind that they built?

public water - public blind. Perfectly fine

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 12:31 AM

That's the problem with "duck hunters" today. No respect, If I'm gonna go walk out and hunt public somewhere I'm gonna sit in the grass not in someone's blind that they paid for material and time to build. Respect other peoples hard work. Go build your own blind If you wanna hunt a box, don't sit in someone else's built blind. Didn't say it was illegal, I said it's unethical and unsportsmanlike, prob would of had a better hunt anyway away from the blind. That Kinda stuff don't go over too well down here
Posted By: FowledUp

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 12:43 AM

If you have a problem with folks hunting a blind you built on public land, then dont build a blind on public. Nothing unethical or unsportsman at all about it.
Posted By: brock2013

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 12:50 AM

If you don't want people to hunt in your blind on public land, then don't build it. If there is a blind it is open to whoever gets there first. I don't see it as unsportsmanlike like or disrespectful. If you want to hunt it just wake up early and get there first

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:06 AM

That's the problem with "duck hunters" today. No respect, If I'm gonna go walk out and hunt public somewhere I'm gonna sit in the grass not in someone's blind that they paid for material and time to build. Respect other peoples hard work. Go build your own blind If you wanna hunt a box, don't sit in someone else's built blind. Didn't say it was illegal, I said it's unethical and unsportsmanlike, prob would of had a better hunt anyway away from the blind. That Kinda stuff don't go over too well down here

No you're the problem with duck hunters today, thinking you can own a spot on PUBLIC land. Why should you get to claim a spot all to your own?

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:09 AM

I hate to stir the pot since i'm new to this site & this awesone state, but you're right, sportsmen do lack ethics. The fact that people think they can put some poles in the sand, put some chicken wire & palm leaves on it & claim that as their personal property is extremely unethical. I have at least 3 dozen deer stands built on public land back home. Up there, the unspoken rule is if you sit in someone else's stand, it's common courtesy to move on if they come to sit in it. Some guys are good about it, some aren't. If they're being dbags, I'll just return the next day & tear the stand down. Had the builders of this blind come along, I would have asked if they wanted to hunt with me & if they said no, I woulda moved on. I see absolutely nothing unethical or unsportsmanlike about that at all

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:11 AM

That's the biggest problem with the coast. People build a blind and think they own the entire shoreline or cove that it sits in. That's great if you build a blind but if you want to hunt your spot you better wake up earlier than me, if there's birds there then I'm hunting there. I've got into good arguments with guides on the coast, not even hunting their blinds just hunting close to them. They shoe up 30 minutes before legal throwing a cry baby fit that I'm in their spot. Sorry bud, public land is public land.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:12 AM

Doesn't anything built on public land or water, like a duck blind or crappie brush pile, become public property, free to whomever arrives first?

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:15 AM

Not to mention, what difference does it make if I did hunt their blind? I picked up some trash that had washed into it, picked up all my hulls, filled in some holes in the blind material & left the blind in better shape than it had been in when I got there. It's different deer hunting since you're usually hunting a specific deer or two and killing a deer can ruin that stand. Pretty sure there's more than a few ducks in that part of the ocean

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:29 AM

lol your all goobers, I haven't wasted my time shooting at garbage divers in over 3 years, burned out, For the record I've never built a box blind and never will, for you weekend warrior duck hunters that think it's ok to say hey who cares who built that let's just get there first an go shoot some redheads are the product of what this sport has evolved into. I learned my lesson wen I was real young to respect others hard work. To all of you who say it's public first come first serve, do you have 2 or 3 boxes out there built for everyone else to hunt too when you go sit in there blinds

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:35 AM

I'm not saying there's anything illegal about it but there is an unwritten code among duck hunters that you should respect. And I know all of you who say it's first come first serve don't have blinds built because you would feel the same. I don't mooch off the work of others, I earn my success through my own scouting and work ethic, you wanna hunt someone's spot that scouted that area before you, realized it was a good spot and built a blind, that's just not right in my opinion.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:46 AM

I'm not saying there's anything illegal about it but there is an unwritten code among duck hunters that you should respect. And I know all of you who say it's first come first serve don't have blinds built because you would feel the same. I don't mooch off the work of others, I earn my success through my own scouting and work ethic, you wanna hunt someone's spot that scouted that area before you, realized it was a good spot and built a blind, that's just not right in my opinion.

So how is it fair that my favorite spot on the coast for 4 years, a small back bay, gets a blind built right in the spot I've been hunting. Why should that guy get to claim a spot I have been hunting for years. I don't hunt a spot just because there's a blind built there, I hunt a spot because it has birds. I spend a lot of hours paddling my kayak on the coast scouting. People think when they build a blind the entire area is theirs alone and that's what I don't like. I got yelled at by the guide for hunting in that little back bay because according to him that was his spot because he built the blind. Again I was hunting by his blind not in it. That's what's not right. It doesn't work like that. If you want a spot to yourself you need to find somewhere private to hunt or get up earlier.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 01:53 AM

To answer your question, yes, I do plan to build some blinds this spring & summer. I'm gonna ask you again though, what is the problem with me hunting a blind if I move out or ask him to join me if the guy comes to hunt it? I obviously haven't spent much time down there, but I've hunted a lot in the Midwest, & I'm guessing its the same here. I'm guessing you come from an older generation of hunters. A generation that had considerably less people in the field. It usually gets to the point that almost every decent spot gets a blind put on it. Then what? Am I just sol?

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 02:00 AM

Should have built a blind there first I guess, I don't know what to tell you, this is why I gave up salt water years ago,bout the same reason why I've almost given up duck hunting, too many yahoo cowboys out there trying to be duck dynasty shoot em up duck hunters, I've hunted ducks for about 20 years, used to work all year with out vacations in the oil field and then take off from November to February and do nothin but hunt ducks every day, all public, I hunted every single day of the season for over 4 years, slowly watched each really good spot over the years get more and more more pressure and people blasting all over the internet where they hunt and watch each spot get destroyed, it's not fun to me anymore, I guided duck trips for many outfitters during those years and I know all about the first come first serve stuff trust me, I don't care if you set up 20 yards from the box and hunt it that's fine to me. I've had guys sittin in the brush with there spread 40 yards away from our boxes at 3am and they respected the blind and had the common sense not to sit in the blind, I said good luck boys whack em, on many occasions but it's different if you are in the blind. You understand now, I don't care about where any hunts and you can hunt any one else's blinds for all I care but I just think that is disrespecting the hunters that built the blind, you want to have the comfort of a bench and dry spot then go build one yourself, don't sit in someone else's. Put your azz in the grass and respect other peoples stuff

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
To answer your question, yes, I do plan to build some blinds this spring & summer. I'm gonna ask you again though, what is the problem with me hunting a blind if I move out or ask him to join me if the guy comes to hunt it? I obviously haven't spent much time down there, but I've hunted a lot in the Midwest, & I'm guessing its the same here. I'm guessing you come from an older generation of hunters. A generation that had considerably less people in the field. It usually gets to the point that almost every decent spot gets a blind put on it. Then what? Am I just sol?

No fish it's all good man I just wouldn't put myself in that position to have to apologize to someone for sitting in their blind that's all, I would be in the grass to the side of it, they don't own the water but I would say hey I'm not in your blind man I'm just huntin the island. Fair enough, just that little bit of respect I learned growing up on the water and being surrounded by guides and old timers I guess, was taught as a very young man not to sit in another mans duck blind and I guess it stuck with me that's all
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 02:25 AM

Maybe they could segment public lands into small portions and allow people or groups of people to bid on them for duck hunting exclusivity. That would reduce any misunderstandings or conflict.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 02:33 AM

Ain't nothing wrong with that attitude at all. I think a lot of people could use more of that attitude of respect & less of the "it's public so I'll do whatever I want" mindset. If it makes you feel any better, this was barely a blind. No bench, had to kneel in the sand. It was literally 4 poles, some planks to nail chicken wire onto & some palm leaves. I doubt it took an hour to put in. IMHO though, these kinda blinds are the best & it's similar to what I'll be building. Those big, gaudy blinds stick out like a sore thumb & those birds learn to avoid em. This one had a 5' embankment right behind it so when I was looking at it while throwing out dekes, it didn't break the silhouette of the island at all. Whoever built it knows ducks & knows that sometime the K.I.S.S. method is gonna put more birds in the bag

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 11/28/14 02:51 AM

I could tell that somewhat by the pic fish, and I agree with you, a palm frond or two is all you need, good luck to you
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/20/14 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Maybe they could segment public lands into small portions and allow people or groups of people to bid on them for duck hunting exclusivity. That would reduce any misunderstandings or conflict.

How about no permanent blinds in public waters?

Sort of solve the problem across the board, and probably why there not allowed on WMAs.
Posted By: the legend

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/20/14 02:38 AM

I wish they had a blind clean up day. Like crab trap clean up. 2 weeks after season, bring you're chainsaws. It's sad the # of blinds you see, they will b there till they rot. I don't like to hunt blinds and can't stand not hunting a spot because some jack leg decided to build a bed n breakfast on the bay. Just pray some kids don't die hitting one of them that they build in open water in the dark. It worked pretty good w the crab traps, don't see nearly as many. Mabey they will get tired of building them if they are tore down every yr.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/20/14 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: the legend
I wish they had a blind clean up day. Like crab trap clean up. 2 weeks after season, bring you're chainsaws. It's sad the # of blinds you see, they will b there till they rot. I don't like to hunt blinds and can't stand not hunting a spot because some jack leg decided to build a bed n breakfast on the bay. Just pray some kids don't die hitting one of them that they build in open water in the dark. It worked pretty good w the crab traps, don't see nearly as many. Mabey they will get tired of building them if they are tore down every yr.

As nice as it is to have a blind to sit in, I think this is an awesome idea. It's downright treacherous out there right now. I've already got a blueprint made for my boat blind that I'm gonna make before next season. I think a boat blind that can be moved every day so you can follow their flight paths is a better option anyways.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/20/14 11:21 PM

public hunting is just that "PUBLIC HUNTING", if you don't want anyone in your blind, "get there first every morning" just like fishing, I have "honey holes" invariably, when I get in my spot and start catching fish, guess what here comes the inter lopers, some stay respectful distance away some don't, its like road rage, I am not going to get in a hassle with some dirt bag
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 02:23 AM

I think its a generational issue and depends if you were self taught or learned from others.

I understand the argument that you shouldn't be able to reserve a spot. When I was in high school we used to build blinds with 4-5 boat loads of brush. Was nearly impossible to build a temporary blind and take it down after every hunt. You couldn't cut brush on the WMA and everything off of the WMA was private land.

So we had to cut brush at home before we went out. Carrying tents, ice chests, grills, gear, etc. every weekend wasn't enough room for brush. Everybody hunting their own blind and there was never any problems. Now after daylight, every blind was fair game. But to jump in a blind someone else built at 4:00 AM to beat them to it is just plain dirty.

I hunted the Texas coast for the first time this weekend. There were blinds everywhere, but there were more places holding birds with no blind visible, than places holding birds near a blind.

When the birds aren't flying in the area where I build my blind, I've never had a hard time finding birds in an area where there is no blind. Now I understand some areas are small and it would be impossible for everyone to build a blind, but the coast isn't like that.

My dad's generation would never even think about hunting another man's blind, it is about respecting their work and their effort. That's how I was taught, so that is how I will continue to hunt. I will respect your hard work and not hunt in your blind, and if you are in my blind, I will respect your legal right to hunt it and move on.

If everybody took the time to brush their own blind ahead of time, you wouldn't have to get out there at 3:00 to 4:00 to make sure you can find a place to hunt.

I love how they do it in Oklahoma. You are drawn for a blind permit and you are entitled to build 1 permanent blind. Many of the lakes have drawings on the same day so its hard to get multiple permits on multiple lakes. You build your 1 blind, display your permit number somewhere in the blind, and you have first priority until 9:00 AM. Any unoccupied blind after 9:00 AM is fair game. You can hunt in any blind prior to 9:00 AM, but if owner arrives you must leave if asked. At the end of the year, you must remove the blind. Its a win-win for everybody.

I also agree that when possible, you are better off just sitting in the grass than sitting in those box blinds, but sometimes there isn't enough vegetation to hide in.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 02:05 PM

Tx cat man you reference 20 years of hunting. Some of us had that and a whole lot more. I reckon I have built or had a hand in building at least 100 blinds in my years. I have had materials stolen, blinds torn up, walls kicked out, blinds burned to the water and anything else you can imagine done to them. The last time I went to the bay to scout out a spot, I was unable to find one point without a blind on it. Not one. I used to think the way you think about the ethics of hunting someone elses blind. Not no more!! The land these blinds are built upon belongs to you, me and everyone in the state. The minute you leave that blind it becomes property of the state and belongs to you, me and everyone else. If you are there when I get there, great! If I am there when you get there, then move along. If you ask nicely maybe I would let you hunt your blind with us confused2

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Tx cat man you reference 20 years of hunting. Some of us had that and a whole lot more. I reckon I have built or had a hand in building at least 100 blinds in my years. I have had materials stolen, blinds torn up, walls kicked out, blinds burned to the water and anything else you can imagine done to them. The last time I went to the bay to scout out a spot, I was unable to find one point without a blind on it. Not one. I used to think the way you think about the ethics of hunting someone elses blind. Not no more!! The land these blinds are built upon belongs to you, me and everyone in the state. The minute you leave that blind it becomes property of the state and belongs to you, me and everyone else. If you are there when I get there, great! If I am there when you get there, then move along. If you ask nicely maybe I would let you hunt your blind with us confused2

Well said.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 03:13 PM

Yes. Well said. I have scouted or hunted other areas where there is not a decent huntable location that is not already covered by a blind. Some even where blinds are not allowed to be left and no one enforces it. Your only choice is either to hunt in or near the blind or not hunt that waterbody.

Related trivia. Caddo which outside the WMA still has owned permanent blinds on public water. And well covered by those blinds too. I was unable to find a huntable location to access by kayak not near or within sight of on of those blinds. Is no more. They are removing them and no longer allowed after next year. I predict at some point in the future the general land office will do same for the coast.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Yes. Well said. I have scouted or hunted other areas where there is not a decent huntable location that is not already covered by a blind. Some even where blinds are not allowed to be left and no one enforces it. Your only choice is either to hunt in or near the blind or not hunt that waterbody.

Related trivia. Caddo which outside the WMA still has owned permanent blinds on public water. And well covered by those blinds too. I was unable to find a huntable location to access by kayak not near or within sight of on of those blinds. Is no more. They are removing them and no longer allowed after next year. I predict at some point in the future the general land office will do same for the coast.

Wish they would PULL(not cut) everyone of them after season.
Posted By: Bucks&Ducks

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 04:51 PM

Good haul!
Posted By: schmellba99

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 04:55 PM

Sorry bud, but you build a blind on public land and you take the chances that somebody else may hunt it, that a storm may destroy it or any other scenario out there. It's part of public hunting and doesn't have anything to do with respect or disrespect.

If you hunt somebody else's blind, clean up after you leave like a good person should anyway. Outside of that - it's a free for all.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 04:58 PM

lol your all goobers, I haven't wasted my time shooting at garbage divers in over 3 years, burned out, For the record I've never built a box blind and never will, for you weekend warrior duck hunters that think it's ok to say hey who cares who built that let's just get there first an go shoot some redheads are the product of what this sport has evolved into. I learned my lesson wen I was real young to respect others hard work. To all of you who say it's public first come first serve, do you have 2 or 3 boxes out there built for everyone else to hunt too when you go sit in there blinds

You have just a horrible, horrible attitude. Glad you don't build blinds.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik

No fish it's all good man I just wouldn't put myself in that position to have to apologize to someone for sitting in their blind that's all, I would be in the grass to the side of it, they don't own the water but I would say hey I'm not in your blind man I'm just huntin the island. Fair enough, just that little bit of respect I learned growing up on the water and being surrounded by guides and old timers I guess, was taught as a very young man not to sit in another mans duck blind and I guess it stuck with me that's all

Sitting next to a blind, or even several yards off, is worse than sitting int he damned blind to begin with - because now you have a couple of different people competing for, and generally screwing up, the same hunting spot.

It's really simple - blinds are first come, first served. More than once we got to our blind (we were late) and somebody else was there. No biggie - we asked them to take care of it and have a good hunt. Never had an issue, and every now and then it's a good reminder that you cant' hit snooze too many times int he morning or you lose out.

In those cases, we moved on to an empty blind - because even though I build the pit blind, I didn't hunt it 100% of every day of the season. I wasn't lucky enough to have that much opportunity. So not every blind is occupied every day of the year.

The biggest problem with duck hunters is the lack of respect for hunting ethics - not whether or not you are a d-bag for getting to a spot earlier than me. I can tolerate somebody getting to "my" blind earlier than me, so long as they don't tear it up. What I can't tolerate is some jackwagon setting up 15 or even 50 yards from my blind and subseqently making a horrible hunt for both of us.

Get there first - that's step 1. Give plenty of leeway between yourself and the next group of hunters. Or work out a plan to maximize the hunting potential between the two groups. That's step 2. Enjoy the hunt and leave the place cleaner than you found it. That's step 3.

All are easy steps to follow. You should try it sometime instead of having the craptastic outlook you do.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 06:23 PM

So one guy is adamant that he is right and the rest of you are goobers. If you ever find yourself in that predicament the first thing you should do is re-evaluate your position.

Materials on public land are public property for anyone to use. It isn't "yours" to have for yourself. You just did everyone a favor, that's all. End of story.
Posted By: BDB

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 06:59 PM

I can think of one really great reason why blinds should not be built on public land and then claimed by such person/party by the respect bill of sale..........if such person or party does not hunt the blind in question on a particular day.....which would happen all the time.....why does the spot the blind is built in deserve NOT to be hunted by another person/party?

Make no bones about it, blinds built on public land are built to claim the spot more so than just because its a cozy way of hunting the spot. And thats just WRONG and disrespectful to others.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 08:26 PM

If guys wanna lay claim to a spot & think they can do it by building a blind there, they got another thing coming. If you want a spot to yourself & don't wanna worry about other people hunting it, you're gonna have to buy your own land. I'll be darned if you think the public property that I help pay for is any more yours than it is mine, just because you spent $100 on lumber & a day to build it. I work 100+ hours a week & spend about $50k/year in taxes to help pay for that land that you access. I'll still be respectful about it because I still think that the guy that built it has first dibs. That's still up for debate though. Like I said earlier, if you show up 30 mins before LST & ask me to move my spread, I'm gonna politely tell ya to get bent.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf - 12/22/14 09:45 PM

We need Rhett Adkins to write a sequel to "Duck Blind". WE can help him write the lyrics right not. Yall help me finish the new version of Duck blind.

Here comes the blind builder, hit the spotlighter
Shut up the Blind builder, he is nothing but a squawker
I'll say when, hold on yall wait
Get em boys, boom get bent
In the public duck blind, having us a good time
In the duck blind, got here first so now its mine

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum