Texas Hunting Forum

took a newbie today

Posted By: Erichugh22

took a newbie today - 11/22/14 04:42 PM

My sisters boyfriend has been begging me to take him duck hunting since last season. We went and got him set up with a pair of waders, licenses and shells yesterday and headed out this morning, first group came in and his gun jammed, I knocked down a mallard hen but she escapee into the current. Next was another lone susie, he drill it on the first shot, shortly aster he knocked down a Gaddy hen, the birds were working great, called it at about 7:30 due to lighting or we would have had a bigger strap. He had a good time and I'm pretty sure he's hooked now. By the way my new wonderduck skimmer looks pretty sweet and the ducks seemed to like it too.

Posted By: jdk1985

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 04:45 PM

How is the 3500 working out for you?

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 04:47 PM

That was my first time shooting it, it went bang but I really don't like the 400 pound trigger pull it has.

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 04:50 PM

I see. What was the problem with your 1100 (what kept breaking?)?
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 04:54 PM

he had the same cold-weather O-ring gas system issue that has plagued that gun for ages.

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: _Scooter_
he had the same cold-weather O-ring gas system issue that has plagued that gun for ages.

Actually I never had that problem, the arm that connects to the back of the bolt kept popping off and sliding over the top of the bolt jamming everything up, it was a real pain to fix it in the field. It only did it with duck shells too, never did it while dove or pheasant hunting.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 05:42 PM

oh, I stand corrected- and my apologies. 1100's were never really meant for the heavy lifting in my opinion. Why else would they have made the 1187? Same gun just a more hearty gas system. Can't beat an 1100 for warm weather dove and upland hunting, but freeze it out or use heavy high velocity shells and that's when they start to hiccup. Glad you like the Stoeger and shotgun trigger jobs are really simple for any competent gunsmith. Should lighten up after a good light stoning of the sear surfaces and maybe a different sear spring.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 05:52 PM

Very nice

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

Actually I never had that problem, the arm that connects to the back of the bolt kept popping off and sliding over the top of the bolt jamming everything up, it was a real pain to fix it in the field. It only did it with duck shells too, never did it while dove or pheasant hunting.

O, yeah that would be a pain in the field.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: took a newbie today - 11/22/14 06:03 PM

Had that same problem when I had mine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum