Texas Hunting Forum

How rare is a Bufflehead?

Posted By: cdoz35

How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 03:41 PM

Went hunting Sunday AM with bradybuck and some others and we shot a beautiful bufflehead drake. How rare are these in Texas? We have seen a few in the past, but never got one. I am considering getting it mounted. I read somewhere that Texas only holds about 4300 of these in the winter, if that is true then I would think they are pretty rare.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 03:42 PM

depends on the area... pretty common to shoot them on Big Tx lakes. But not that common. Iv only shot one.. he tasted good
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 03:45 PM

Last year I got one off one of our private tanks near Austin.. only one I saw up here but there's usually a bunch down at the coast later in the season. Pretty good eating and they look great on the wall!
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
there's a bunch down at the coast
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 04:24 PM

Never seen one myself
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 04:50 PM

Beaver can probably tell you the exact amount.
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 04:56 PM

Only shot one, myself. Have seen some on one particular North Texas tank but no other place. I mounted mine.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 04:57 PM

Current birdcount of buffelhead in North Texas is 658.
So yes, pretty rare. Havent had time to count them down the coast.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 04:59 PM

Just depends on where you hunt. I wouldn't call it a rare bird, but I wouldn't call it a common one either.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 04:59 PM

We have a tank in West Texas that has them every year. It is a large government tank that was supposed to hold about 15-20 acres of water when full but it never held. It is about 4 acres most the year and about 4-6' deep at the deepest points. For some reason, they love it...as does every other duck in the area.
Posted By: Blake E.

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 05:11 PM

I got one place we shoot them almost every time we hunt it. Cool little bird. If I ever kill one without clients im going to mount one.
Posted By: LukeDawg40

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 05:17 PM

We had 3 drakes in our decoys Saturday morning. We usually kill 10-15 a year.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 05:42 PM

Shot 1 around Coleman last year, wish I had gotten it mounted!!
Posted By: Falconclaw08

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 05:44 PM

We shoot at least a couple a week here around Brownwood
Posted By: Guy

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 05:52 PM

Have consistently seen tons of them west texas, and some seasons in NE texas. I shot a few over the years, but generally pass on them. I recall eating one that was surprisingly good, and tried to cook another one leaving the skin/fat on it, and it was dreadful.

A hen/drake pair mount would be cool. up

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Have consistently seen tons of them west texas, and some seasons in NE texas. I shot a few over the years, but generally pass on them. I recall eating one that was surprisingly good, and tried to cook another one leaving the skin/fat on it, and it was dreadful.

A hen/drake pair mount would be cool. up

Reminds me of steak gristle... I always cut that off too
Posted By: bodydub

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 08:12 PM

A buddy of mine shot a drake this past SAT. First time ever me seeing one and only his second duck he ever shot. I'm trying to get him to mount it casue it was a beautiful bird.............
Posted By: TexaShot0341

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 09:02 PM

Saw 5 of them rocketing across Conroe last year. Only time I've ever seen any, although apparently we get a few out here in west texas.
Posted By: duck slayer13

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 09:09 PM

We had about 25 total come in to our spread this weekend and my buddy had several come into theirs as well but out of all of those we only had 2 drakes. Didn't see hardly any last year but between me and 3 buddies we have already shot 6 and that was all last weekend.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 09:13 PM

From ducks.org

In 1992, the continent-wide breeding population was estimated at 1,390,000 birds. That may be more than redheads, but buffleheads are sea ducks and that is a continent wide population estimate, not a Texas wintering population estimate. Some barren looking big water areas I hunt in the north western Texas and Western Oklahoma, I often encounter buffleheads.
Posted By: netboy

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 10:54 PM

Lots of them on bays around Corpus.
Posted By: Coot Hammer

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 11:13 PM

A fat drake is my only goal this season! Came real close last season but didn't seal the deal. They are around, they just fly really fast about a foot off the water where I hunt. I want a fat little butterball drake laying on the shelf of my dead mount!
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 11:22 PM

They are pretty rare....according to statistics out of 980,000 ducks killed in the 2010 season, 3700 were Buffleheads. So about .37 %

Some pretty cool stats here:

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/NewRep...g%20seasons.pdf
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
They are pretty rare....according to statistics out of 980,000 ducks killed in the 2010 season, 3700 were Buffleheads. So about .37 %

Some pretty cool stats here:

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/NewRep...g%20seasons.pdf

You must be looking at Texas totals. Some of those other states are much higher. The United states total I see is 199,487 about 31,000 down from 2009.
2009+2010 harvest totals
Redhead 169,814 244,072
Canvasback 70,392 145,686
Lesser Scaup 222,066 287,907
Goldeneyes 88,644 80,859
Bufflehead 231,902 199,487

I think it all depends on where and how you hunt. In Michigan they killed over 30,000 Buffleheads in 2009 to our Texas total of 3737. In Texas we killed 207,963 Gadwall to Michigan's 4733.
Posted By: catwhacker

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/17/14 11:49 PM

Shot 2 Bufflehead and one Goldeneye Sat. There were about 50 Bufflehead on the lake but didn't see many Goldeneyes. I'm in Michigan in the snow belt and not that many ducks have come through yet.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Coot Hammer
A fat drake is my only goal this season! Came real close last season but didn't seal the deal. They are around, they just fly really fast about a foot off the water where I hunt. I want a fat little butterball drake laying on the shelf of my dead mount!

Nice mount coot hammer. The one cdoz35 got was very nice! I scouted the place a few days earlier and we had about 20-30 out in the middle. Didn't think we would get any of them to decoy but one drake made the fatal mistake and came in by himself.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 06:25 AM

I've shot about half a dozen over the past 6-7 years... seems like there is consistently a group or two that roll in with the Redheads every year where I hunt. I had one mounted in 2010 and I'll tell you this... they look a lot better on the wall than they taste on the plate- that's a fact.
Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 01:48 PM

They aren't real common where we hunt, but we can set up closer to bigger water and see them occasionally. Shot a couple so far. I always consider it a great bird to add to the bag. My rule of thumb, if I haven't seen one shot before, it's goin on the wall
Posted By: cdoz35

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 02:57 PM

Alright so I have decided to have it mounted. Do ya'll have suggestions where I should send it? I want a quality job done, so I am not looking at just the price. This will be the first one I have had done, so I don't have anyone that I have used yet.

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

Nice mount coot hammer. The one cdoz35 got was very nice! I scouted the place a few days earlier and we had about 20-30 out in the middle. Didn't think we would get any of them to decoy but one drake made the fatal mistake and came in by himself.

Isnt that a golden eye?
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 03:11 PM

Yes.

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 03:13 PM

OHHHHH you want one to go with those I gotcha... lol
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 03:16 PM

This is freakin sweet!!!

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: cdoz35
Alright so I have decided to have it mounted. Do ya'll have suggestions where I should send it? I want a quality job done, so I am not looking at just the price. This will be the first one I have had done, so I don't have anyone that I have used yet.

I had mine done at Top Gun Taxidermy in Holland, TX. Randy Pistole did a great job and it is such a great memory!

Posted By: Coot Hammer

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/18/14 03:28 PM

Sorry for the confusion, that shelf there is gonna be the forever spot for the first drake I drop!

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 03:20 AM

posted a pic
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 12:38 PM

double from last year

Posted By: schmellba99

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 02:49 PM

They aren't rare, they just don't like to decoy. Makes it harder to knock them down when they constantly stay 10 to 150 yards off your spread. We used to see them all the time down on East Matagorda just sitting off our spread, and no amount of coaxing would get them to even pay attention to us.

I've shot a couple of them over the years. Wanted to get one mounted, but never got around to it and a tropical storm knocked power out at the duck camp and we had to toss it. Sucks, because it was a nice drake.

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 02:58 PM

At this time I had seen few of them so we passed it off as a merganser lol
Posted By: Madewell

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 03:26 PM

FIL and I saw a bunch of them on a lake right outside Greenville the other day. It's not a lake we can hunt though.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
depends on the area... pretty common to shoot them on Big Tx lakes. But not that common. Iv only shot one.. he tasted good

Yeah big water for sure. When I see them, it seems I see a lot of them. Otherwise, I never see them. They will typically stack up on big water as the season goes on. A local lake around here will have tons in December and January.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Yeah big water for sure. When I see them, it seems I see a lot of them. Otherwise, I never see them. They will typically stack up on big water as the season goes on. A local lake around here will have tons in December and January.

Oh I'd like to shoot one. What lake is that Gary?

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by gacman
Originally Posted by Gdogg
Originally Posted by Navasot

Oh I'd like to shoot one. What lake is that Gary?

Lake manigotapee... youll need some serious firepower
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 04:54 PM

Lake Devine in Leander and Lake Pflugerville. Get there early those places fill up really fast.

Purtis Creek will have hundreds of them as well.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/19/14 05:08 PM

Thank you. I was thinking about maybe hunting Lake Yougottabeshittingmeman this weekend.
Posted By: Astater

Re: How rare is a Bufflehead? - 11/20/14 12:12 AM

Shot them in Arkansas but on lakes. Never seen one in NTX.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum