Texas Hunting Forum

Smallest tank you would hunt

Posted By: Jacob645

Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 09:56 PM

A place I have access to has three ponds on it. One is maybe 20 yards across and is for cooling of an oil rig. Another is about 35 yards across and a circle like the smaller one. Then there is one that's 2-3 acres. The middle sized tank is surrounded by timber and has some sort of floating seed that the ducks like. The tiny one is bare pasture around and super deep. The "big" one has some flooded woods and is also deep. The ducks always seem to go to the middle sized one.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 10:00 PM

Food...you said it yourself.

I don't care how big or small a place is, I'll hunt it if the ducks are there too. Something I learned a long time ago is I don't care what a place looks like I want to see ducks. If they are there I'm hunting it and if they aren't I'm probably wasting my time.
Posted By: cdoz35

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 10:04 PM

I would hunt 1 square foot if the ducks want to be on it.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 10:31 PM

I hunt one that is about 20 yards wide and about 45 yards long. It pulls birds in year around...not limits, but enough for a limit of woodies and a bonus bird
Posted By: wfhunter

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 10:41 PM

Nothing is too small if ducks are using it. We have hunted small sheet water on fields, tiny pot holes on creeks, and tail water pits on ends of fields no bigger than a small swimming pool. If the ducks want in it, hunt it, and have fun!
Posted By: john paul

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 11:05 PM

There is a small pond, about the size of a pickup, up in the panhandle that was just south of a feed yard that the ducks would load up on to get freshwater. Ducks would roost on feed yard ponds, fly to grain fields to get food, then go get water. I can't tell you how many times I saw 4-500 mallards and pintail trying to get in there to get water. Lined up all around the pond fighting to get in there!
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 11:44 PM

Nothing matters other than if there are ducks there. If ducks are there, hunt it, I do not hunt "good looking duck spots", I hunt ducks.
I have hunted dry ground 100 yards from the edge of the lake because ducks were landing there and feeding. Do whatever works.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/10/14 11:49 PM

I'd hunt a route 44 from sonic it it had birds on it
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 12:20 AM

The duck pond sounds like a good place for a 20ga and an ounce of steel 4s through a skeet choke.

I'd hunt where the ducks are. I've hunted strip ponds that are 10 yards wide and 40 yards long frequently. You don't have an excuse to miss, but you will.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
I'd hunt a route 44 from sonic it it had birds on it
cheers
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 01:04 AM

Food is Key but I have shot ducks off of Mud Puddles.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 11:02 AM

If hogs make a wallow and ducks light into the puddle- I'd hunt it.
Posted By: seethemkillthem

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 04:07 PM

I hunt some very small ponds as well. It just depends on where the ducks are at that time. I would scout them and if there are ducks on them I would hunt them.

In my duck hunting I find that I can not hunt a small pond more than ounce a week or I will not have any ducks on it.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 04:14 PM

If there's ducks hunt it! Just be careful the amount of decoys you use, you don't want to overdue it. The problem with ponds sometimes is that it is too big!
Posted By: seethemkillthem

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
If there's ducks hunt it! Just be careful the amount of decoys you use, you don't want to overdue it. The problem with ponds sometimes is that it is too big!

To many decoys will kill a small pond. If it is trully small and I know the ducks are coming I will only put out 2-3 decoys and sometimes no decoys. If they are coming let them come
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Smallest tank you would hunt - 11/11/14 04:33 PM

How bout bar ditches? Seen plenty of ducks in them. bolt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum