Texas Hunting Forum

Wishing it was still dove season!

Posted By: Arbor Guy

Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/05/14 10:54 PM

North Frisco is covered in birds! I saw two fields that looked like a scene from Mexico. This front really pushed them through. Blasted several doubles with my "air shotgun". Too bad the season is over
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/05/14 11:12 PM

Yuuuup
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/05/14 11:25 PM

Could have had two half hour limits this morning in NE TX. Too bad the dux didn't show up in those numbers.

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/05/14 11:32 PM

So what is the deal with the split anyway? Wouldn't a longer first season (at least in the north zone) and no second make more sense?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/05/14 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Arbor Guy
So what is the deal with the split anyway? Wouldn't a longer first season (at least in the north zone) and no second make more sense?

From a hunter's perspective, absofrigginlutely! The vast majority will be gone by the time we can get back at em.

The reasoning...

Quote:
Shaun Oldenburger, migratory shore and upland game bird program leader for TP&W, said recommendations on the dove season were based on four criteria: Maximizing opportunity during the first part of the season; Extending season dates as far as possible into January based on some public comment and input from South Texas; keeping season opening and closing dates as consistent as possible to decrease confusion among hunters; and taking advantage of youth dates at the end of October to overlap duck, deer and doves for a weekend.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/05/14 11:46 PM

That's the same thing I was thinking opening weekend of deer season. We had thousands of dove in Fisher county flying into the tank. I could have limited out with a pellet gun. I would have gladly spent opening day blasting dove instead of killing a deer.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/06/14 12:13 AM

Still covered up.

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/06/14 04:30 AM

Makes sense to me barf

Quote:
Shaun Oldenburger, migratory shore and upland game bird program leader for TP&W, said recommendations on the dove season were based on four criteria: Maximizing opportunity during the first part of the season; Extending season dates as far as possible into January based on some public comment and input from South Texas; keeping season opening and closing dates as consistent as possible to decrease confusion among hunters; and taking advantage of youth dates at the end of October to overlap duck, deer and doves for a weekend.
[/quote]
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Wishing it was still dove season! - 11/06/14 04:41 AM

[quote=Arbor Guy]North Frisco is covered in birds! I saw two fields that looked like a scene from Mexico. This front really pushed them through. Blasted several doubles with my "air shotgun". Too bad the season is over [/quoHAD tons last weekend. Saw only a few today......but more ducks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum