Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Hunting with Dog Setups

Posted By: Jordan A

Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 08:01 PM

This will be my first year hunting with my dog. She will do great, I just want to set up both of us for success. I would love to see pictures or descriptions of how you set your dog up on your hunts. Particularly public walk in spots. I am sure it depends on the spot, but I am thinking about getting a dog blind, I also have a tree stand I could carry in to set up in timber for a dog stand.

Also, will dogs flair birds? She is a smaller golden and will have a camo vest also
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 08:05 PM

Yes, get a dog blind and brush it up
Posted By: john paul

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 08:13 PM

I use a momarsh invisilab if I am hunting a spot that I don't have a blind built.

And yes, ducks will flare off of dogs, especially late season.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 09:08 PM

A dog blind is nice, but by no means a necessity. Depending on where I'm hunting my dog either sits next to me in the reeds/cover, outside blind so she can see the birds, or in the open next to my layout blind and don't think she flares birds at all.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 09:15 PM

My dogs are normally right next to me. Sometimes I position them away from me depending on the situation suck as deeper water...
I've been talking about getting a dog blind forever but have yet to do it. My older dog wouldn't use one though.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 09:39 PM

Dog Blind = More to carry
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 10:14 PM

All depends on cover. Early teal I had mine just sit next to the layout and it was fine. Now I have her stay in a blind that's brushed in if I'm having to use a layout. If there is enough cover that I can hide in I usually can find a spot for my dog as well.
Posted By: TXBOWHUNTER!

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/05/14 10:54 PM

we always just hide her with us in the bushs. i did get her a dog blind this year to try out and so i dont have a wet dog between my legs in the layout.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/06/14 12:42 AM

Mine lays down next to my layout, doesn't seem to flare birds at all
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/06/14 02:46 AM

when were hunting in layouts shes in her blind, when im in the boat shes on the front, when im in the water shes on her dog stand, sometimes close, sometimes 35-40 yds away.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Duck Hunting with Dog Setups - 11/06/14 07:44 PM

I only hunt places were the ground is the same color as my dog.

Field hunting, a dog has to be concealed. But Ducks on water don't usually have a lot of concern with a dog and can even be curious of a dogs movements. I watched a coyote trotting up and down a mud flat once while ducks were in the water adjacent to it. The ducks noticed, did not swim away or leave, and if I remember more showed up while this was going on. A Nova Scotia Tolling Retriever is a good example as well. The white on a Toller is the original Mojo. Still I think a dog can flare ducks by too much movement with the bigger issue being drawing attention to the hunters, white faces, anything unnatural, etc. which the ducks will flare from. As said, more critical at high pressured areas. I like to have some camo material, extra parka, camo net, etc. that matches the terrain and just throw it over the dog next to me if I think it is needed. My older dog I could just throw something on the ground remote from me and do a place command to have her retrieve from there. I often used a boat cushion for this. For example from a spot in a tree line behind me instead of on the barren bank next to my blanket blind. Not much different than training to a dog blind. Because of cross training for other types of hunting, I have not got that far with my young Vizsla Dash yet so he is usually at my side in the open or under something looking out.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum