Texas Hunting Forum

houston county ducks

Posted By: wfontjr

houston county ducks - 02/17/14 02:12 AM

I have a few acres of woods in Houston county west of Center Hill. I am thinking about putting up levees around a low spot I have as a greentree resvoir. Anyone in Houston County tried flooding there property for ducks? Any luck? I have a few wood ducks that hang around my pond now.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: houston county ducks - 02/17/14 02:41 AM

If u are under a roost migration it could be $$$$$
Posted By: wal1809

Re: houston county ducks - 02/17/14 01:22 PM

How are you going to flood and how many acres?

Re: houston county ducks - 02/18/14 02:09 AM

3 to 4 acres, three major hills feed this part of my land, also considering shallow well
Posted By: hunt91

Re: houston county ducks - 02/18/14 06:31 AM

You would probably hold some ducks, but on that few acres it would be difficult to have consistent hunts.
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: houston county ducks - 02/18/14 05:05 PM

My parents used to have a few acres just outside Crockett that I would go deer hunt on. Never duck hunted around there but ran into duck hunters at the local cafe that knew their business and they all told me there were good numbers of ducks in that area. You have a couple of different flyways that pull birds in. I know of a guy that built a lodge and had some help from DU in building up his place in the West side of the County that is a great hunting site.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: houston county ducks - 02/18/14 05:18 PM

What type of woods? Oak trees? pecan? How far are you from the river? It will always depend on the amount of rain and back water there is each year but its a great area... I use to wait until the second split to hunt most the spots I had on private land... building as many wood duck boxes as the place will hold will help build your wood duck hunting

Re: houston county ducks - 02/18/14 05:21 PM

Pic is blurry but this is one of the controlled ponds that had been planted in millet

Re: houston county ducks - 02/18/14 11:48 PM

mixture of oaks, honeylocust, black gum, crabapple, persimmon and a few pines, not looking to limit out, a few wood ducks would be nice a couple times a year

Re: houston county ducks - 02/19/14 02:36 PM

Posted By: duckboy007

Re: houston county ducks - 02/19/14 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: wfontjr
mixture of oaks, honeylocust, black gum, crabapple, persimmon and a few pines, not looking to limit out, a few wood ducks would be nice a couple times a year

Not saying it wont work, but those tree species do not demonstrate a normally wet area. You will always do better taking an existing wetland area, and making it wetter.

Also, leveeing them up might kill them, as they are not wetland adapted species (the pines will croak quick, they don't like having their feet wet.)

Re: houston county ducks - 02/19/14 11:26 PM

I have two wood ducks boxes on the existing pond. I raised wood ducks here at the house for about 10 years until the Hurricane wiped out the place.

Not enough pines in that 4 acres to worry about. The rest should do fine if managed correctly. If I lose all the trees there its not much of a monetary loss.

The low area has a clay bottom with 3 hills draining into it. Originally I put a ditch in to a small drainage creek to help drain the area.

Also think I will try to stock it with crawfish and see how they do.

Re: houston county ducks - 08/04/14 02:12 AM

Well I did it, about a month ago I shot grades and put in a 150 yard 20 inch high levee across my low spot. The last rain two weeks ago filled the ditch up I made making the levee. Based on that rain my calcs say a two inch rain should give about 6" of water on 2 acres. Time will tell how well this works. Lets hope for a rainy winter.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: houston county ducks - 08/04/14 06:14 AM

Got any pics?
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: houston county ducks - 08/04/14 05:31 PM

Also, I'm not sure how much water you have to flood with or control. But does your land have a good hard pan that's pretty shallow? That will help a lot of things if it's pretty shallow.

Where I farm the hard pan is a foot or two down, so flooding and controlling a shallow area is easy.

Where I live there is no hard pan. Just sandy soil until you hit deep clay.

I mention this because you said levee, instead of actually building a tank.

Re: houston county ducks - 08/04/14 11:55 PM

I can not get the pics to upload.

All clay in this spot so holding water is not a problem. The watershed is my estimate around 5-7 acres.

Re: houston county ducks - 11/26/14 10:18 PM

Well after fridays rain i have about 2 acres flooded with 4 to 12" of water. Anyone have any experience in how long it will take the ducks to find it? Before the rain last week there were woodies passing over the area while i was deer hunting.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: houston county ducks - 11/26/14 11:24 PM

9 days

Re: houston county ducks - 01/26/15 01:38 AM

Deer season over so got to go sit at the duck pond Saturday. Saw first woody drake land in pond.. Maybe next time he will bring some friends. I'm going to seed it with 50 lbs crawfish next weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum