Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Hunting Austin

Posted By: fms5886

Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 05:42 AM

I know most people say that duck hunting here in Austin is not that great. But I still love the fellowship of going out and waking a few ducks. I just moved here from Florida and I do not know many people, or spots, I have more decoys than I can count, I been duck hunting and calling since I was 10, so I know what I am doing. If anyone wants hunt hit me up.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 07:17 AM

welcome Hope you find a hunting buddy.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 10:46 AM

Move this to the migratory section, for better replies. Don't name lakes and you'll find some buddies.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 01:34 PM

Welcome to Texas....

I am in Austin and do a little hunting.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 01:53 PM

We can tell that you're not green by the fact you didn't ask for spots or name a lake. Good luck. Welcome to Texas!
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 01:57 PM

How high can you count?

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 01:58 PM

Seriously, we do a Austin skeet or duck shoot usually every year. I'll keep you in the loop.
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: gacman
Seriously, we do a Austin skeet or duck shoot usually every year. I'll keep you in the loop.

duck hunters cant shoot...
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A

I'd make you eat those words if you came to my neck of the woods. boxing

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 05:35 PM

Feel free to let me know as well. I'm here 4 days out of the week.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster

I'd make you eat those words if you came to my neck of the woods. boxing

I've found skeeters to be the worst cripplers.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 06:31 PM

Someone set it up, Im down for some clay shooting.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 06:47 PM

I hope you like spoonies....
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 07:10 PM

There are no ducks in Central Texas.
Posted By: Beretta

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 07:20 PM

Someone set it up, Im down for some clay shooting.

I'm in too if we can get a date so I can take off work.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I hope you like spoonies....

Don't be shooting our trophy ducks.........

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 07:59 PM

Well we could have put one together a couple of weeks ago, but with dove season starting in three days I bet everyone will be out somewhere. Let's plan on one next summer. that skeet range near Granger. Whoa! did i just name a lake?!?
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 08:22 PM

PM sptaylor or Charlie the duck dog. Those guys rule Austin waterfowl scene. Also GR Elliot he is guiding down in Austin I think

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
PM sptaylor or Charlie the duck dog. Those guys rule Austin waterfowl scene. Also GR Elliot he is guiding down in Austin I think

elliot is guiding huh? maybe he'll offer me a buddy deal. I like to shoot ducks.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 08:37 PM

well I was gonna wait till I had everything 100% set up, but since Jeff went and opened his mouth I guess I can let the cat out of the bag.

this year I will be guiding hunts on lake travis and lake austin. both these lakes are prime for mallard killing with low hunting pressure. Since this is my first year and I need to build up a client base I will be offering discounted hunts at $175/gun for guys and $100 for the ladies. Most hunts will be done from layout blinds brushed in with rocks to match the bank we are hunting.

prices quoted above are for my knowledge to put you on the X where the ducks want to feed or loaf. This will not be a question and answer BS session. We can talk at the ramp and I will answer any question for a price. I can PM you the price list on questions, some questions cost more than others.

planning on having a great early teal season, get booked while I have openings

thanks

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 08:55 PM

Please pm me the price list on questions.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 08:56 PM

PM sent

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 09:01 PM

lake austin huh.... put me down, will you just drive your boat while I shoot?

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 09:03 PM

your hunt, whatever you want man

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
your hunt, whatever you want man

awesome! put me down!

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 09:11 PM

On the news last night they said LCRA is proposing dropping Lake Austin by 4 or 5 feet and hoping runoff will make up the difference. Not sure what effect that will have on your business.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 09:13 PM

I actually saw some teal on lake austin today...

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 09:13 PM

On the news last night they said LCRA is proposing dropping Lake Austin by 4 or 5 feet and hoping runoff will make up the difference. Not sure what effect that will have on your business.

I heard that too. If it actually happens, that would be crazy... and idk how it would affect the duck hunting, but I do know that if you hit a swan at city park witha bass boat running 50 mph... the swan will live.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 10:46 PM

Sptaylor is a duck God in centex
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/27/13 10:55 PM

I've never met an actual "Duck God" before, does he walk on water to retrieve the ducks?

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 12:53 AM

No he makes me send my dog

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13

I've never met an actual "Duck God" before, does he walk on water to retrieve the ducks?

Where do you get this carp? Lol
Posted By: fms5886

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 03:51 AM

Thanks for all the help you guys. I know dove season is upon us. If anyone wants to meet up in the next few weeks for a weekend hunt I have been scouting some public spots. Just send me a message.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 12:28 PM

sptaylor doesn't have to retrieve ducks, he shoots them so they fall at his feet
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 12:41 PM

Sptaylor is Will C?

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 12:43 PM

the father of Will C

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 01:03 PM

Sptaylor is the offspring of a cinnamon teal and a bull head pintail. He knows ducks.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 01:15 PM

Sptaylor is the offspring of a cinnamon teal and a bull head pintail. He knows ducks.

roflmao
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 02:15 PM

I think what you're trying to say is that he has a long skinny arse and dresses fancy.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 02:59 PM

Sptaylor doesn't check migratory hunting season dates to see when he can hunt. The Feds check with Sptaylor.

And the rest of us follow.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 03:11 PM

one morning I say sptaylor walk out into the middle of the spread on the water and raise both his arms. At that moment a pair of gray ducks landed in his palms. He rang their necks and cam back to the blind

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 03:18 PM

one morning I say sptaylor walk out into the middle of the spread on the water and raise both his arms. At that moment a pair of gray ducks landed in his palms. He rang their necks and cam back to the blind

I've got to hunt with this dude sometime.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 05:54 PM

One time we were hunting a dirt tank with sptaylor and he started talking about skipping blackjacks. We had no idea what he meant and asked him to show us. He picked up a medium size flat rock and crouched low on the bank behind the diver line. The next blackjack that ran the line, he hauled back and skipped that rock off the water 2 times and the third it hit the ringer smack in the noggin and brained him.
Posted By: Charlito

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
One time we were hunting a dirt tank with sptaylor and he started talking about skipping blackjacks. We had no idea what he meant and asked him to show us. He picked up a medium size flat rock and crouched low on the bank behind the diver line. The next blackjack that ran the line, he hauled back and skipped that rock off the water 2 times and the third it hit the ringer smack in the noggin and brained him.

That was a great hunt!
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 07:19 PM

well I was gonna wait till I had everything 100% set up, but since Jeff went and opened his mouth I guess I can let the cat out of the bag.

this year I will be guiding hunts on lake travis and lake austin. both these lakes are prime for mallard killing with low hunting pressure. Since this is my first year and I need to build up a client base I will be offering discounted hunts at $175/gun for guys and $100 for the ladies. Most hunts will be done from layout blinds brushed in with rocks to match the bank we are hunting.

prices quoted above are for my knowledge to put you on the X where the ducks want to feed or loaf. This will not be a question and answer BS session. We can talk at the ramp and I will answer any question for a price. I can PM you the price list on questions, some questions cost more than others.

thanks

See this is the type of thing that pisses me off. I've been running waters of Lake Travis and Lake Austin for years and year by year more of these greenhorn so called guides keep creeping my spots. It's to the point people are picking up my decoys that I set out to reserve my spot. These days I have to go to Lake LBJ to keep guys from setting up 10 yards from me. Damn Benelli generation!
Posted By: sptaylor

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 07:52 PM

True Statement... 200 a gun and Garrett has a new bay boat he is wrapping

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 07:59 PM

I dont run a jack plate on the bay boat, I just let sptaylor ride with me and we just skip across the shallows
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 09:18 PM

TAYLOR!!

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/28/13 09:44 PM

I dont run a jack plate on the bay boat, I just let sptaylor ride with me and we just skip across the shallows

Lake Travis was the only time i feared my life, but the mallards were worth it.

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: sptaylor

Taylor? I'm glad you're still around. I heard the pot had got the best of you...
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 01:43 AM

Hey Taylor have you ever been kicked in the slats?
Posted By: J Mac

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 04:04 AM

Count me in as well for any austin area shoots.
Posted By: J Mac

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 04:07 AM

Pm price list as well please.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 04:33 AM

thanks

Dang Lake bang bang Namer

Can't you let folks goto TPWD and look where the can hunt?

CLICK HERE FOR WMAs in Texas!

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
Hey Taylor have you ever been kicked in the slats?

Yea i was hunting up north and i heard a radio show that endorsed tweezers for young duck hunters that were convinced unibrows covered there faces.. These guys were the real deal raker. It was duck commander gone wild for sure. There was this thing called the internet and people got all kinds of slats hurt..

11 spread wigeons and 3.5 inch number 2s with full chokes.. and all this with my new confidence block

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 12:29 PM

the west Texas honey badger will bring 'em in every time

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Charlie the Duck Dog
Originally Posted By: sptaylor

Taylor? I'm glad you're still around. I heard the pot had got the best of you...

Like a cat, he always lands on his feet.......

What's up Tony?

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 01:41 PM

All is both my hounds are fat and lazy, and Sunday will be a great test with the 8 inch plate and 12 screws in shoulder...

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 05:36 PM

Taylor! Are you actually going to hunt Sunday? We need to get everyone together soon. I have to get a quick hunt in Sunday morning, but will be shooting and drinking Monday and Tuesday...

Re: Duck Hunting Austin - 08/29/13 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Charlie the Duck Dog
Taylor! Are you actually going to hunt Sunday? We need to get everyone together soon. I have to get a quick hunt in Sunday morning, but will be shooting and drinking Monday and Tuesday...

Yep..Leaving saturday night.. PM me cell i lost all contacts with new phone
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum