Texas Hunting Forum

Floating shotgun case

Posted By: bluegill

Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 01:20 AM

Whats a good floating shotgun case that will hold a 28" barrel SBE2 with an extended choke? Most of the cases out there are too short for that gun.
Posted By: tthame1

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 01:54 AM

I have the Redhead Deluxe 2 in 1 and it easily fits my 28" Beretta A400
Xtreme. I haven't had it long, but it seems very nice and had good reviews when I bought it.
Posted By: fisher6688

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 02:31 AM

i got an avery from cabelas, fits a 28 inch witha kicks choke
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 02:32 AM

I know the Avery ones tear at the end and your barrel will poke through making the case worthless. I've gone thru two and now have a redhead brand also.
Posted By: fisher6688

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: SweetTea
I know the Avery ones tear at the and your barrel will poke through making the case worthless. I've gone thru two and now have a redhead brand also.

good to know, i didnt even pay attention, i better double check the seams
Posted By: 2BeDuckin

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 03:07 AM

I have a Beretta Xtrema floating gun case that is 54" long, and it will fit my 28" Xtrema 2 barrel with a Kick's extended choke tube in it.

I have an Avery also and my 28" barrel Xtrema 2 will not fit properly. However, my 26" Xtrema 2 barrel with an extended tube will.

That said, though, the Beretta case is twice the price.
Posted By: GreyDuck

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 03:32 AM

My friend has a Plano 54 inch floater that cost around $30. He got it at WalMart. I have an Uncle Mike's that is now on its 4th year and no tears or problems.
Posted By: seethemkillthem

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 02:40 PM

I have a Game winner floating gun case from Academy. It will hold my Browning 2000 with a 30in barrel (just barley). Had it for 3 years with no problems
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 06:21 PM

Final Approach makes a good floating gun case that will hold up to a 30in barrel shotgun
Posted By: GigEmAggies

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: seethemkillthem
I have a Game winner floating gun case from Academy. It will hold my Browning 2000 with a 30in barrel (just barley). Had it for 3 years with no problems

x2 fits my 28 inch with a kicks ext choke...has held up great for the past few years
Posted By: RackAttack

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 07:17 PM

I have a Drake floating case and it fits my 28 with ext and seems to be a really nice case.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 07:56 PM

I got a Cabela's one and an Avery one. The Cab has a zipper and the Avery is the kind with the velcro and strap.

Just this weekend the Cab zipper broke. The zipper will not hold together any more. Gotta get another one and knowing what I know now I won't be buying one with a zipper. They don't work very well with mud either.
Posted By: gentimmy

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 08:09 PM

x3 on the Game Winner floating case.
Posted By: Backwater Productions

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 08:28 PM

Whatever you do, dont get the "DU" version put out by Mad Dog... I got it as a gift and the shoulder strap broke and its a poor design.
Posted By: ChrisTZ71

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: RackAttack
I have a Drake floating case and it fits my 28 with ext and seems to be a really nice case.

X2. Great cases!
Posted By: bluegill

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 11:40 PM

Thanks for the help. My Avery case finally wore through so the barrel sticks out now, it didn't fit the gun anyhow so I'll be glad to get a new case.
Posted By: timawa

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/21/13 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: gentimmy
x3 on the Game Winner floating case.

x4
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/22/13 12:16 AM

Uncle Mikes with the velcro, on my 5th season with my Browning BPS.
Posted By: Sims Custom Knives

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/22/13 02:30 AM

boyt harness company makes a really nice solid floating case.
Posted By: bkellyslim

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/22/13 03:01 PM

cheaped out on a field and stream. strap broke after about its 5th time out.
Posted By: Davy Crockett

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/22/13 03:22 PM

Floating the 4th is illegal. You should be ashamed.
Posted By: ElmoSnerd

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/23/13 06:50 AM

Stay away from any cases with the velcro closure on the end. The full length zipper cases are much easier to clean out the mud and dirt and can be opened all the way up to dry. I used to put my end loader case on my boot/wader dryer, but the case that opens up is much better. Either type will float-both types will get wet if in the water more than a second or two.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/23/13 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ElmoSnerd
Stay away from any cases with the velcro closure on the end. The full length zipper cases are much easier to clean out the mud and dirt and can be opened all the way up to dry. I used to put my end loader case on my boot/wader dryer, but the case that opens up is much better. Either type will float-both types will get wet if in the water more than a second or two.

Heh, pros and cons to everything I guess. The zipper on mine broke last weekend after only 2 seasons. Maybe a fluke, dunno...

I hadn't really thought about the closed ones being hard to dry. That's a good point, but hopefully you aren't using the floating feature of it very often. smile
Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/23/13 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ElmoSnerd

How does dirt and debris get in your gun case?

I've had the same avery floating case for 9 years now with no problem. I have a choke tube on the end and the end is still in great shape. I don't do like most I see and stand the case up and let the gun slide it's way to the end with force and let the case stop the gun. I always put the gun in the case in a horizontal position on the bed of the truck or in the boat. Then to air it out, I just open it up. It doesn't have to be dry to use. It just needs to float. It's gonna get wet when you hunt anyway. Just make sure you take the gun out of the case when your done.
Posted By: ElmoSnerd

Re: Floating shotgun case - 01/24/13 03:07 AM

I keep my gun cased most times to and from the blind. Easier to tie on the four wheeler or ride better in the sled. Gun gets wet, muddy or whatever hunting and goes back in case for ride home. Don't always have time or opportunity to to clean or wipe in the field. Hence wet dirty inside of case.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum