Texas Hunting Forum

Dixie Mud Motors??????

Posted By: lakewaydr50

Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 04:34 PM

Anyone had any dealings with these guys?
http://www.dixiemudmotors.net/
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 06:58 PM

try mudmotortalk... there's all kinds of info about them over there. Some people seem to like them. Others not so much.

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
try mudmotortalk... there's all kinds of info about them over there. Some people seem to like them. Others not so much.
I've read those revues already and it looked and most was negative. I just wondered mainly how they are able to sell their motors for a $1000+ less than Copperhead does.....

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 08:35 PM

Yeah, from what I've seen and heard. A Copperhead is more recommended. Those Dixies are newer so like anything else you probably won't be able to find much about them yet.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 09:25 PM

Lookimg at the guts of it they seem alright. Simple and stupid is best IMO.
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 09:52 PM

they look okay to me I might look a bit longer before getting out the check book.I'm really looking for a good used motor myself loco_too eeks333
Posted By: TOOTHLESSWONDER

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 10:45 PM

I had a copperhead 18 and i liked it a lot. I sold it to a friend and bought a backwater inc longtail and in my opinion its just a more capable motor for thick vegetation.
Posted By: ktm261

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/21/12 11:29 PM

I have a 23 from them. The quality is good, had a few minor issues that we easily fixed. The only thing i can see is that they are selling cheaper to try and get going. They are a relatively small shop getting swamped with orders now.

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/22/12 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: ktm261
I have a 23 from them. The quality is good, had a few minor issues that we easily fixed. The only thing i can see is that they are selling cheaper to try and get going. They are a relatively small shop getting swamped with orders now.

what were the issues?

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/22/12 01:06 AM

Really the biggest deal was the bolt for the clutch backed out and started to rattle and cause the clutch to slip some. It had red thread lock on it but still loosened up. And replaced a bushing on the steering pivot, got a pack of those for 4 bucks.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/22/12 01:23 AM

I'm a fan of the backwater folks myself. I've gotten a few props from them with great service. Talk a little hunting with em and shoot the breeze. Anyway, back to topic.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/22/12 02:18 AM

I guess I didn't look at it close enough. I won't own a motor with a clutch. it will eventually stick you out on the water.

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/22/12 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: WAL1809
I guess I didn't look at it close enough. I won't own a motor with a clutch. it will eventually stick you out on the water.

Only if you screw something up big time. Otherwise it will give you some good warning signs when it needs to be replaced. Most of the time when it screws up you can still limp it in.

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/22/12 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

Only if you screw something up big time. Otherwise it will give you some good warning signs when it needs to be replaced. Most of the time when it screws up you can still limp it in.
I'd definately want the clutch and having a reverse would be nice too. If they are like the racing clutches that we used to run kart racing they can be rebuilt and serviced to get a nice long life out of them. Those clutches also had interchangable springs that would let you adjust the lock up rpm higher or lower. A higher lock up speed would help a lot when carrying a heavier load.

Re: Dixie Mud Motors?????? - 10/22/12 12:12 PM

The clutchs they use on the big motors are warner electric clutchs like what other manufactures use. The smaller motors use a different set up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum