Texas Hunting Forum

Duck camp

Posted By: wal1809

Duck camp - 08/17/12 03:56 AM

Life has been pretty fast paced here lately. I am in the middle of a month with 13 snake avoidance clinics scheduled. I had to just go somewhere alone. Well what better place than duck camp?

I set a goal to get the ponds planted in jap millet. Done! Build a porch on the cabin. Done! Planted another pond on an adjacent property too.

Had something wierd happen. I was running a tractor that is loud. The dogs were running around and I would call them back. We were not quiet at all. Well I stopped the tractor and headed through the woods to the other end of the pond on foot, dogs with me.

Bullet got wind of something and took off. He went off the trail into shoulder high grass and weeds. I could only tell where he was at by the grass moving. He tangled with something, yelped and shot out of there. Whatever it was stayed right there for 5 minutes. I could see the grass moving. I finally just walked off. It made no noise even when bull piled up on it. I am thinking beaver. That was creepy for it to stay.

Here's the porch.

Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 04:01 AM

When you coming up to my country for avoidance clinic?

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 04:23 AM

English?

Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 04:35 AM

Was hopin to catch up with ya Wayne out at Rody's place. But momma informed me today that we'll be in Plano all next weekend with family. Say hello to my pooch for me out there...His name is Bodie( 8 month old black lab). He's there getting his formal obedience, FF and collar conditioning done. I get him back at the end of the month to start my two-a-days with him. Be nice to have him ready by the Nov opener but I ain't banking on it. He's gotta be rock solid steady, handle with ease, trips marks and be stretched out to at least 100 yds on blinds before he goes afield with me. If I gotta hold him back this season I'm fine with it. But he ain't going til he's what I consider ready.

btw, your pic linky no work

Posted By: birddog14

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 04:42 AM

http://emob137.photobucket.com/albums/q234/wal1809/photo-1.jpg

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: WAL1809
It made no noose even when bull piled up on it.

Come again?

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 04:43 AM

Nice porch btw!

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Aggieduck
English?

iPhone, auto spell and a 36 hour shift! You want that in Spanish English or French?

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster

Come again?

Pardon me Sir, it made no noise when Bullet (my dog) piled up on whatever it was.

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster

Come again?

Pardon me Sir, it made no noise when Bullet (my dog) piled up on whatever it was.

Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 10:49 AM

I guess they don't speaky east texan.......

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
I guess they don't speaky east texan.......

rofl

Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 12:20 PM

I set a goal to get the ponds planted in jap millet.

You need to wait one year before you hunt over that you know. j/k grin

Good luck this season Wayne!

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
When you coming up to my country for avoidance clinic?

I am done with the north country. I was up there the last two weekends. The closest I will be to you is Ridgewood kennels two Sundays from now.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:14 PM

bet he found a smaller pig layed up next to tha water

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
Was hopin to catch up with ya Wayne out at Rody's place. But momma informed me today that we'll be in Plano all next weekend with family. Say hello to my pooch for me out there...His name is Bodie( 8 month old black lab). He's there getting his formal obedience, FF and collar conditioning done. I get him back at the end of the month to start my two-a-days with him. Be nice to have him ready by the Nov opener but I ain't banking on it. He's gotta be rock solid steady, handle with ease, trips marks and be stretched out to at least 100 yds on blinds before he goes afield with me. If I gotta hold him back this season I'm fine with it. But he ain't going til he's what I consider ready.

btw, your pic linky no work

I'll take care of your pup. Your doing the right thing waiting for the dog to make it to a level. Hard to do but I commend you.

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
bet he found a smaller pig layed up next to tha water

I don't think it was a pig. First because of the noise we were making would make it hard for me to believe the pig would have stayed there. If it was a pig, Bullet would not have come shooting out there like he had his arse whooped. He would have stayed on it. That is just old Bull! He thinks he is a Chessy:)

I am nearly convinced he got popped up side the head by a beaver. He is lucky because I have seen beaver chewed dogs. It aint pretty. Oh, the place is loaded with beaver.

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I set a goal to get the ponds planted in jap millet.

You need to wait one year before you hunt over that you know. j/k grin

Good luck this season Wayne!

Well at first light the game warden for that county will be shooting ducks. When he sees the millet and tells me it is illegal, I will ask some questions. That would be "Who are you going to write a citation to first. Me, my brother or youself?" eek2 As a matter of fact I should wait and let him shoot the first shot and then break out a citation book. NOwhere in there does it say I can't cite him for violating the law. confused2

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:25 PM

Yup coulda been for sure. or a nutrirat. both are mean suckers! i had a rat get after me while i was puttin decoys out one morning. he had three shot for brekfest

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:34 PM

Wayne to you carry when you are out there? You need to take those beavers out. But I think probably your best bet is not to hunt them...but trap them.

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:40 PM

Oh you can bet the .40 Glock was at low ready position. Rumor has it a cat was killed just off the property but I won't believe it until the Game Warden confirms it.

Usually I don't carry a pistol on the place but I was by myself. I aint worried about 4 legged creatures but am worried about human. I trust creatures, not humans.

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 02:53 PM

Dadgum I must have missed the announcement

Re: Duck camp - 08/17/12 07:31 PM

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ing#Post3462939

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum